Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros/Cons on using a Callies Superlight Magnum XL crank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:07 AM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pros/Cons on using a Callies Superlight Magnum XL crank?

I'm considering throwing down the extra money ($1500+) for this crank for an LS7 build I'm about to start, but I figured more people have built LS1's or LS6's on this forum so I'm posting here.

This is for a street driven 03 Z06 that I also do a lot of open track events with. Goal is 525 - 550RWHP. This crank is supposedly 10 POUNDS lighter than their standard forged crank. Should help it rev just like the Porsche GT, eh?? lol.

If you go with aluminum flywheel, launching is supposed to be more difficult due to much less inertia of the lighter flywheel. Will this crank produce the same end effect with a standard steel FW? Why would you choose to lighten the crank vs the FW if you had a choice?

Pros/Cons? Thoughts?

Many thanks,
Phil
Old 01-04-2007, 05:26 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would lighten both. Aluminum FW is no big deal to launch. I want to put a 5" clutch in my car soon so when I let off the gas it will be like hitting the brakes. I would guess the FW would have more inertia due to diameter but I guess good engine builder would know like LG or DRM.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:14 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Lighter rotating assembly should speak for itselt.

some titaniaum H beems also ?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:22 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I agree, your flywheel has a LOT of MOM (moment of inertia) due to it's extreme weight and large diameter. With an aluminum, or better yet, a racing style clutch setup (track only, of course), and you'll not only cut 40lbs off of the rotating mass, but you'll cut the MOM by 75%

I realize this isn't a likely situation for a street car, so if you've got the money, go for the crank.

Get notified of new replies

To Pros/Cons on using a Callies Superlight Magnum XL crank?

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons on using a Callies Superlight Magnum XL crank?