Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer set up ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 01:00 AM
ImaRoadDog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailer set up ideas

I just got a new Haulmark 22ft TAG trailer and need some ideas on how to set it up on the inside to fit my needs (mostly track days and time trials, but may start doing some drag racing too). Anybody have suggestions and/or pictures of the inside of their trailers so I can get some ideas?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:56 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I like e-track on each side, with bars going across the width of the trailer to support tires. Loads them nicely on both walls, instead of loading just one side. Wheels/tires are the biggest, bulkiest items usually, so everything else can just get crammed in the front.

Make sure you are using a load-leveling hitch, and put ample weight on the tongue for stability. Even if you have a dually, load-leveling bars really help stability and safety.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I've seen those aluminum shoring beams that stretch across the trailer for tires, and that looks like a great idea. Any idea where to buy those beams?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
I've seen those aluminum shoring beams that stretch across the trailer for tires, and that looks like a great idea. Any idea where to buy those beams?
http://pitpal.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=73

http://www.trailerpals.net/internetspecials.html

http://www.trickfab.com/
Old 01-12-2007, 09:24 PM
xilr8n
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just the first one that came up on a search. Use the terminology to do your own searches to find the best price
http://www.truckntow.com/pc-11512-14...track-102.aspx
Old 01-13-2007, 11:29 AM
ImaRoadDog
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I like e-track on each side, with bars going across the width of the trailer to support tires. Loads them nicely on both walls, instead of loading just one side. Wheels/tires are the biggest, bulkiest items usually, so everything else can just get crammed in the front.

Make sure you are using a load-leveling hitch, and put ample weight on the tongue for stability. Even if you have a dually, load-leveling bars really help stability and safety.
I like the e-track idea and will look into it, and yes, I also got the load-leveling set up too. Heard too many bad stories about what can happen without them.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:32 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

24 footer here

Pit Products tire rack up front on the left, fits 4 wheels and one trailer spare tire.

I also have a work bench and under storage up front
Old 01-13-2007, 04:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

I don't really need the load leveling with my trailer but you do need to use them in anycase. My dooley is illegal over 5,000 without them. If I had an enclosed trailer I would see some benefit I'm sure. I use them anyway to be legal. They sure can't hurt. On my Excursion they are a definately needed.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:25 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

this might sound crazy but go to racingjunk .com or ebay and look at how the millions of trailers for sale/auction are setup.
...redvetracr

PS: I believe that e-track stuff is available from Aeroquip
Old 01-14-2007, 02:06 PM
ImaRoadDog
Instructor

Originally Posted by redvetracr
this might sound crazy but go to racingjunk .com or ebay and look at how the millions of trailers for sale/auction are setup.
...redvetracr

PS: I believe that e-track stuff is available from Aeroquip
Doesn't sound crazy at all. I've been checking Ebay and Racing Junk for a long time looking for a trailer and saw some pretty nice set ups. I am also trying to figure out how I should finish the floor as it is just plywood. I wonder if paint with some kind of sealer would work.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:45 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I used an Epoxy Garage floor sealer. It worked well.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:32 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I prefer using fixed length steel cables on the front. They are smaller, cheaper (Home Depot, Lowes, etc), and guarantee that the car is in the same place everytime. I also use a load leveling hitch with a sway control and a Tekonsha Prodigy inertial brake control.

Last edited by ghoffman; 01-14-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:16 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Prodigy here, also. I like it. I pull a tag 24 footer that is bare on the inside. In order to fasten things down, one needs to add some tie areas. I made two rails across the front of the trailer using two eight foot 1 x 1/2 inch oak from Lowe's. I got an extra rail to cut up into short blocks. I counter sunk holes in the rails to line up with the metal studs in the trailer behind the plywood wall. I then put a 1 1/2 inch self drilling metal screw through the rail, the spacer block and into the metal stud. I am able to tie everything up front out of the way. I put my extra tires in a stack with a strap through the wheels and behind the rails.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:19 PM
MistressMotorsports
Pro

Received 128 Likes on 62 Posts

Wells Cargo 24 here. I had a tire rack built by the place I bought the trailer from. They used 1 inch square steel tubing and sized it for 8 tires plus the trailer spare. Decided to put in on the passenger side of the trailer (welded to the trailer's metal studs) so I could still get to the race car door from either the front or the back. Also had it so it folded up flat against the trailer wall when not in use (towing my buddy's antique show cars that werer too tall to put in with the tire rack down.)

Built my own cabinets using Lowes garage stuff plus better latches and hinges to deal with the flexing. Basically a workbench across the front with room underneath on one side for the jack and fuel jugs. The other side had drawers. Hanging cabinets across the upper part of the front wall. I kept my tools in a roller toolbox with good rubber wheels and rolled it between the garage and the trailer, then secured it with lots of tie downs and hooks on the wall, although e track would probably have been a better idea. Also went with ramp extenders like in the pictures above.

Wood floor. It got a little scratched and stained, just touched it up with grey paint.

I skipped the vents in the roof since almost all trailers I have seen eventually leak there when they get old.

This trailer served me well for many years and three different race cars.

Mike
Old 01-15-2007, 11:34 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Having a small 20ft trailer, we had to be a bit more careful on space. Small roll around tool chest bolted to floor, pit pal style door unit on the other side, fuel jug holder. This all clears the nose of the car (even with 4" splitter) nicely, and you can walk in and get to tools if needed. Also cool jack stand holder right by the door. Also have a folding aluminum tire rack on the passenger side wall for rain tires. I'd like to add one overhead cabinet later, for helmets, but this works for now.

Enough room for a pair of bikes using fork mounts bolted to the floor.

Tie down holders (pair) - Summit
Tire Rack - Pit Products
Door caddy - Pit Products
Jack Stand rack - Pit Products
Fuel Jug rack - Summit
Winch - Superwinch 3000lb
Tool cabinet - Lowes
Old 01-16-2007, 10:28 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

In Floor Storage!!!!!!!! One thing I had done on my old trailer (and also had some built for my new one) is put some storage areas in the floor. The trailer guys simply make a metal box to enclose the cross members and cut a square hole in the floor, add some hinges and a latch and you have some really strong storage space for spare rotors, brakes, etc. My guys charged me about $350 to build them. It's a great space saver!!!!!
Old 01-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Gatorac
Pro

I reorganized my tools at home. I put every tool that I would need at the track in my roll a round tool chest. I even found a small air compressor that fits in one of the drawers. I used a couple of the drawers for supplies and misc. hardware. When I load up I just wheel the tool chest onto the trailer and strap it down.

I used E-track to make a tire rack and to strap the tool chest to. E-track is available at my local trailer supply.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:35 AM
ImaRoadDog
Instructor

OK everyone who replied, thanks for the advise/tips. I got some epoxy garage floor paint from Home Depot and started on the floor, and found the E-track stuff at Pecasus Racing. Will be ordering some of it as well. Any advise on which winch to get. Make and size? Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer set up ideas

Quick Reply: Trailer set up ideas