Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weight distribution hitch

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default weight distribution hitch

with the trailer I am buying I need to be able to easily disconnect a weight distribution hitch from it to allow the trailer to rollback.

I am not familiar with the hitches at all, but from pictures it looks like it is connected to the A-Frame of the trailer by either a chain and a bracket or 2 arms and a bracket.

Are they easy to unhook? Sensible I would think they are since you not always have the trailer and the hitch together, but who knows...

thanks

Bob
Old 01-31-2007, 11:32 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
with the trailer I am buying I need to be able to easily disconnect a weight distribution hitch from it to allow the trailer to rollback.

I am not familiar with the hitches at all, but from pictures it looks like it is connected to the A-Frame of the trailer by either a chain and a bracket or 2 arms and a bracket.

Are they easy to unhook? Sensible I would think they are since you not always have the trailer and the hitch together, but who knows...

thanks

Bob
Call me, it is easier to explain it than write about it.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Call me, it is easier to explain it than write about it.

ok I have to call you anyway...
Old 01-31-2007, 04:57 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

The chains to each spring bar are pretty easy to unhook. Same with the sway control slider, if used. It might add 1.5min to the job
Old 01-31-2007, 05:33 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by XPC5R
The chains to each spring bar are pretty easy to unhook. Same with the sway control slider, if used. It might add 1.5min to the job
forget it then
Old 01-31-2007, 06:19 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

My wife loves it when I keep the hitch on the pick-up when I am not towing. It sticks out about 10" behind the bumper. Keeps ppl from tail gating us.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:24 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

will leave nice tattoo's on your leg also if you forget.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:37 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Originally Posted by John Shiels
will leave nice tattoo's on your leg also if you forget.
Been there done that
Old 01-31-2007, 07:40 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

When you release them, be careful. There is a lot of potential energy there and it can throw the tube lever arm.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:09 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by ghoffman
When you release them, be careful. There is a lot of potential energy there and it can throw the tube lever arm.
Gary thanks for walking me through it this afternoon.

Bob

Old 01-31-2007, 08:49 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

DEFINITELY get a weight distributing hitch. AND make sure you read the instructions, and set the angles properly. Most have a pretty detailed setup for getting the height and angle correct (so the chains are the right length for cornering), so please follow them. I DIDN'T the first time (back 20 years ago) and it didn't take me long to start over, and do it all right.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:49 AM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

bob if you're down at ecs my hitch is in the trailer, and the bars are as well, go have fun playing with the setup to get familiar with it, its pretty damn simple once its there in front of ya. Or next time we're together I'll walk ya through it.......big thing is when you're attaching the bars jack the nose of the trailer up (das why my electric jack on da tongue is so cool) and it takes the tension off of the bars (or in some cases rods) then you drop the tongue and jack etc. Pretty much the bars push the ball straight up.......by taking the pressure off with the jack it makes getting them on and off a breeze vs. trying to muscle them. My trailer is 6 pin, but I have a 7-6 adapter in the cabinets inside, go have fun playin with the hitch if you're bored. At this rate teh trailer will be there for a while..
Old 02-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
DEFINITELY get a weight distributing hitch. AND make sure you read the instructions, and set the angles properly. Most have a pretty detailed setup for getting the height and angle correct (so the chains are the right length for cornering), so please follow them. I DIDN'T the first time (back 20 years ago) and it didn't take me long to start over, and do it all right.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:01 PM
drbenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought mine (eaz lift). here is a web site that has a very complete PDF file to go over measurements, installation and set-up. Very helpful. The PDF file is on the left of the web page.

http://www.eaz-lift.com/swaycontrolframes.html

Just used it for the first time this last weekend going 300 miles to Pahrump. Very nice set-up and added some piece of mind knowing that I could safely have up to 1000 lbs tongue weight with the equalizing hitch set-up (vs 600lbs without)
Old 02-01-2007, 02:14 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

the bars/chains also act as a sway control . The natural self correction of these units add a ton of stability.

I tried carrying an enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton Suburban back 7-8 years ago, and to get the load so that the back of the Sub wasn't litteraly on the ground, I add to remove so much tongue weight that it became dangerously unstable. Load leveler fixed me up.

BTW, since car trailer dealers are rare, relatively speaking, RV dealers are a GREAT resource at buying and setting these up

http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/WD/dt_trunnion_bar.html

**this is the one I've used most. Get the 1200lb unit. You can always leave it a bit "loose" if you don't need the full 1200lb, but overloading lighter bars could damage them.***

Last edited by davidfarmer; 02-01-2007 at 02:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To weight distribution hitch

Quick Reply: weight distribution hitch