Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dedicated Race wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 05:19 PM
IwntmyZTV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dedicated Race wheels

(I posted this same thread in the "wheels and tires" section and got 0 responses in 2 weeks... figured it might have a better go here)

I have lots of questions but hopefully this thread can help more people than just me...

1. Do most of you that are into racing or HPDE's and have wheels dedicated to track events use smaller than OEM wheels to save on cost?

2. What size do you recommend for a '06 C6 Z51.
OEM
Front - 18 x 8.5
Rear - 19 x 10

3. Does it mess up the speedo?

4. Are all 4 wheels the same size? (All 18's)

5. Do you run without pressure sensors in those wheels?

6. Are most wheels offered by vendors mainly for appearance and not intended for track use?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:31 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

1. YES

2. 18 all around. 18x10 and 18x12 are popular or 18x9 and 18x11

3. Who has time to look at a speedo ?

4. see #2

5. Nope No senssors, just hit the reset button. Keep your stock C6 wheels in the paddock near where you park

6 YES most wheels by venders are great bling wheels not for track use. CCW makes track dedicated wheels. The CCW Corsair, CCW classic and the new CCW C14. are the C14 and Corsair the same wheel?.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

IwntmyZTV,

1. Once you get into it and go to race rubber you really need a separate set of wheels and tires for the track. But if you are just starting off stick with the street tires you will learn car control and other essentials much easier. CCW makes a great light weight wheel that is reasonably inexpensive.

2. Sorry, you will have to ask the expert that one, I run a C4. A good friend ran a FRC a few years ago and ran 18x?? Front and 17x?? Rear (Sorry I can not remember the exact sizes…). He really liked that set up.

3. Depends on how much larger and smaller you go...

4. I would run all the same size if possible so I could rotate the tires to get the most out of them.

5. I would not run with them; it is just going to be a bigger PIA when mounting tires.

6. Depends on the vendor.

There are some great and knowledgeable people on here hopefully someone who runs your generation will chime in and help you out (And correct me if I am wrong )

Daniel
Old 02-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a novice, here are my answers:

1. I use OEM wheels for track & chrome aftermarkets for street driving.

2. Stock sizes.

3. No.

4. I run stock C6 sizes (18" F & 19" R).

5. I have pressure sensors in both sets of wheels that I have, the technology is there so I want it available all the time.

6. I would say it this way....more "visible" vendors sell wheels intended for street than for track use.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:18 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Dedicated wheels leads to dedicated rubber, which leads you down the slippery slope of dedicated trailer and tow vehicle, etc.
If you plan on mounting DOT legal-tread rubber on track wheels to drive it to the track, I don't think you'll be gaining enough performance over stock tires to make much of a difference.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:11 AM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by C5inWV
Dedicated wheels leads to dedicated rubber, which leads you down the slippery slope of dedicated trailer and tow vehicle, etc.
Yeah - ain't it great . One of the reasons I own a Vette - slip slidin' away!

I agree with AU N EGL, another vote for CCW. John Purner builds a great wheel, light and strong - I recently spun at the track moving at over 90, impacted the sand hard enough to pop the L/R tire off the bead but barely scratched the wheel, no cracks and still fully serviceable. They're reasonably priced and well worth the money.

And as suggested I'd make whatever conversion is necessary to run 9.5 x 17 wheels all around. Shouldn't be much, and auto-x is all about front grip so the wider tires in front will help a lot.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:39 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C5inWV
If you plan on mounting DOT legal-tread rubber on track wheels to drive it to the track, I don't think you'll be gaining enough performance over stock tires to make much of a difference.
Or you can just tow the dedicated wheels/rubber WITH the 'vette. Also, I don't mean this as an insult or anything, but have you ever driven on a DOT Legal R-Compound tire? They are muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch faster than a "true" street tire. I don't mind driving on them short distances, and if you're not crazy they aren't even too bad if you get caught out in the rain. But I much prefer to just tow them.

IwntmyZTV, obviously I have a C5 but I can still try to answer some of your questions.

1) Yes, long term it turns out to be cheaper to run a dedicated set of wheels for tracking your car. Not to mention how much faster (and more fun) race tires are. As such, most of us have dedicated track wheels/tires.

2) You have lots, and lots, and lots of options here. Your budget is a key determining factor. I know of C5 Z06 guys running C6 Z51 brakes with stock 17x9.5 front wheels. I'd assume that means a C6 Z51 can run as small as a 17" wheel. Again, options, options, options.

A set of used, stock C5 Z06 wheels would probably be a great choice (again, assuming they clear the C6 Z51 brake setup which I hear they do... but I'd test it out before shelling out any $). Factory C5 Z06 wheels are strong, (relatively) light and pretty cheap. Especially for track wheels where you don't mind buying a set w/ some curb rash (be sure they are good and straight though). On a set of C5 Z06 wheels you'd want to run a 265-295/40-17 front and 285-315/35-18 rear tire. For HDPE events I'd suggest the Toyo RA1. Hoosiers (A/R6) or Kuhmo (V710) would be faster, but also wear much faster and are generally over-kill for you "average Joe" doing HDPEs. That being said I usually run V710s on my stock Z06 wheels as track day tires, but that's just because I jump on every deal I can find for used, well heat-cycled but plenty of rubber left V710s.

The next step "up" as far as traction would be to buy a set of 4 "ZR1" knock-offs in 17x11 all the way around (you actually want the Grand Sport offset, not ZR1). These are going to be much heavier than the C5 Z06 wheels and stick out a bit. You'd run a 315/35-17 all around with these wheels. I'd suggest this setup more for an AutoX car than a track day car. Honestly the extra front end bite from a 315 vs. the 295 you can run on a C5 Z06 wheel probably isn't worth the weight and aero drag on a road course. For an AutoX it really helps get the car turning in though.

After that I'd recommend a CCW Classic. Now you can go big and save weight. Your sizing is also much less limited. I run 18x11 front 18x12 rear CCW Classics as my AutoX wheels (as I mentioned before I use my stock wheels for road course stuff). I run a 315/30-18 and 335/30-18 Hoosier A6. This setup would clear your brakes no doubt, or most big brake kits if you ever go that route. And would probably be "the fastest" wheel/tire package you could run (A6 for short sessions and if you don't mind buying tires often, or R6 for longer sessions/tire life).

I'd avoid 19s all together for your race wheels, competition tires are still limited and costly.

3 & 5) the C6 guys have answered for you.

4) That's up to you, see 2.

6) CCWs are great wheels and the Classic is a very nice track wheel.

-TJ
Old 02-22-2007, 01:41 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my C6 I run 18X10 front and 18X11 rear CCW corsair with Toyo RA1 275/35/18 Front and 305/35/18 Rear. The CCW will accept the tire pressure sensors and they are a great group to deal with. My setup works great for me and the wheels and tires tuck up in the fenders nicely without any rubbing whatsoever.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:53 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John@CCW recommends the Toyo RA1 setup in 18x10+18x11. The CCW C14 is the Corsair. The C10 is the new track wheel coming. The T10 is the street wheel version. You can obviously run better DOT-Rs than the Toyos without issue, and you can run wider wheels if you're willing not to go lock-to-lock on the steering, etc, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Dedicated Race wheels

Quick Reply: Dedicated Race wheels