Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! HPDE This Weekend & LR Tire Got 2 Nails In It Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:43 AM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Help! HPDE This Weekend & LR Tire Got 2 Nails In It Today

Tires are Falken FK-451s and are two years old. I got the affected tire patched/plugged and it seems fine with no loss of air. There's plenty of tread left on both rear tires for daily driving.

Complicating issue is that I'm scheduled to run a HPDE @ VIR this weekend. Not sure if it would be o.k. to run with this tire or not.

What's y'all's recommendation? Run with it? Make a mad dash for the tire dealer tomorrow (Friday) for one new tire (or do people recommend a matched set of two)?

Note: Falken does not appear to retail the FK-451s now...seems they've moved to the FK-452s...not sure about the differences and whether one of each type on the rear end is a smart thing.

Mucho thanks in advance for the advice!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Last edited by kedvesh; 02-23-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:09 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

It is according to how close to the edge the patch/plug is located. The location determines whether the tire is dropped one or two speed ratings. The other factor is how aggressive you are at the track. Personally, if the patch is well over an inch from the sidewall I would give it a run if I wasn't pushing it too hard. But, I would watch the increase in pressure and try to gauge the wear/tear to which the tire is subjected. A lot of factors go into to this determination.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:28 AM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by southern_son
It is according to how close to the edge the patch/plug is located. The location determines whether the tire is dropped one or two speed ratings. The other factor is how aggressive you are at the track. Personally, if the patch is well over an inch from the sidewall I would give it a run if I wasn't pushing it too hard. But, I would watch the increase in pressure and try to gauge the wear/tear to which the tire is subjected. A lot of factors go into to this determination.
Ahhh. Another night owl!

Both nails were in the central grooves of the tire, not the outlying grooves or tread.

At VIR, I usually hit the high 120s or low 130s on the backstretch. Thus the concern.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:45 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

It depends on the manufacturer whether or not a tire maintains its speed rating after a puncture repair. Some say a tire correctly patched will maintain its rating while others will not guarantee the rating. So the question you have to answered is whether Falken says they will maintain the rating if correctly repaired and if the answer is yes the next question to be asked, was the repair done correctly as Falken defines correct.
Bill
Old 02-23-2007, 02:55 AM
Roy1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any type of puncture weakens the tire. Personally I would not run that tire at a HPDE. To me the tires are cheaper to replace than the car if the tire decides to come apart.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:01 AM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It depends on the manufacturer whether or not a tire maintains its speed rating after a puncture repair. Some say a tire correctly patched will maintain its rating while others will not guarantee the rating. So the question you have to answered is whether Falken says they will maintain the rating if correctly repaired and if the answer is yes the next question to be asked, was the repair done correctly as Falken defines correct.
Bill
Patch/Plug was the method used (I think) and matches what Falken says can be done. They make no mention of any degredation in speed rating because of the repair action (ref http://www.falkentire.com/Limited%20_warranty_tires.pdf )
Old 02-23-2007, 09:17 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Keep a close eye after each run on the section where it was patched. any idication of seperation, and no more.

Personally I would not run a patched tire on the track at speed. On the street, yes, but not on the track.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I got a nail in my tire like that last year. After running a search here I found that quite a few had patched the tire and ran it. I decided to do the same, I had no troubles at my last HPDE. It's had some street miles on it to. 130 MPH at the track.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:20 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

plug it......just keep an eye on it. I plugged a tire and ran the ROVAL at Charlotte: even that was OK.

Obviously, no guarantees, but I'd plug it and rotate it to the LESS loaded side of the car.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:28 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this were the case, I would be buying new tires every year. I am not telling you what the scientific answer is.... But I have run plug/patched tires at the track for YEARS. As long as the hole is not near the sidewall, then you should be fine.

The worst case is that the patch/plug falls out and tire goes flat again. I highly doubt that steel belted radials would fall apart because the rubber has a tiny 2mm hole. There are so many layers of material holding those tire together, that if a small 2mm hole effected the strenght of a tire, I would be amazed.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:39 AM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Thanks all for the comments. Looks like half a dozen of one, half a dozen of another.

I'm going to err on the side of caution and get two new tires this afternoon - General Exclaim UHP; tops in their category on the TireRack.com evals ( http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...cleSearch=true ).

Cost, availability and similarity to the Falkens were all considerations.

I'm going to sell the good/non-punctured rear tire w/ plenty of tread on eBay or to whomever wants it (i.e., you CF "pukes" included!) Thanks!
Old 02-23-2007, 12:06 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Keep a close eye after each run on the section where it was patched. any idication of seperation, and no more.

Personally I would not run a patched tire on the track at speed. On the street, yes, but not on the track.
This is what I was told back in 2005 when I had this issue. It's best to have an extra set of track-only tires for this reason.

I choose not to take the risk and bought tires.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:59 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
This is what I was told back in 2005 when I had this issue. It's best to have an extra set of track-only tires for this reason.

I choose not to take the risk and bought tires.
I do, but I wanted to use my street tires for several reasons this time around:
  • curiosity on how they acted on the track
  • possibility of inclement weather while at the track and on the way home (my track tires have very little tread, if any, right now)
  • I don't trailer the car or have a trailer hitch on the 'Vette to bring a second set of tires. So, I normally drive to, run on and drive back on one set of tires. (Yes, my 275/40/17s and 305/30/18s Toyo RA-1s on Z06 rims along with tools, etc. will fit inside a coupe, but just barely!)

Last edited by kedvesh; 02-23-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all you are doing is HPDE it won't make any difference. By the way, you DO NOT need speed rated tires at the track you will only go really fast for a few seconds. I ran a whole season of SCCA T1 on used tires, half of which were plugged or patched. I did it to prove a point (and win a bet) with a friend. I think I only had one race where two of the tires were the same brand, but not the same style of tire. I won every race I entered. Every one. Do not worry about patches, driving up the bump in your driveway is harder on the tire than a little heat cycling at the track.....

All this tire plug = bad tire is bullsh%& to sell more tires and limit liability... Oh , did I mention that I had interest in 3 Firestone stores so that I could get cheap tires.... HPDE will not be fast enough or long enough to make a problem.... Go have fun..

Last edited by Tintin; 02-24-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:29 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have run patched and plugged tires on track. They need watching like all the others....no worse - no better...

Get notified of new replies

To Help! HPDE This Weekend & LR Tire Got 2 Nails In It Today

Quick Reply: Help! HPDE This Weekend & LR Tire Got 2 Nails In It Today