Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Drill Or Not To Drill; That Is The Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default To Drill Or Not To Drill; That Is The Question

Put a trailer hitch on the coupe or not?

I like to run HPDEs and Track Days anywhere from four to six weekends a year.

I have a second set of wheels for my C5 coupe (stock Z06 size). With 275s on the F and 305s on the R, they can (in a manner of speaking) just fit inside...one ea. 275/305 in the back and one ea. 275/305 in the front passenger seat, leaning up against the door and partially on the center console.

That leaves precious little wiggle room as I then need to be creative where I put tools, extra clothes, etc.

I do not have a tow vehicle and just drive to the track or wherever. From where I am, the track of choice is VIR, which is about 5 hours from home w/ Friday traffic. My longest drive has been 19 hours to Sebring, but that was on my track rims w/o taking an extra set (i.e., my DD/stock-coupe rims.)

I'd like to get into consistent use of DOT competition tires a bit more, but don't really think to & from the track driving on them would be something I'd like to do often (i.e., premature tire wear, threat of bad weather.)

Furthermore, even though I've mod'd the 'Vette from an internals aspect, I'm not really sure about actually drilling into the frame of the car to mount a hitch.

So, what do you think? With the amount of HPDE/Track Day driving I do, some of the tracks I've visited (Sebring and soon, Road America), no dedicated tow vehicle and the desire to more consistently run something stickier than street in the tread department, should I seriously consider adding a hitch and trailer?

If not, what's a good drive-to-and-from-the-track tread I can shod my C5Z06 rims in (275F/295R)?

Thanks in advance for the comments!

Last edited by kedvesh; 03-02-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:30 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I've never liked the idea of driving to the track on race tires. What if it rains....what if it rains on the WAY HOME!!!

Tire trailer, or trailer to haul the car, would definitely by my suggestion if you want sticky tires. If not, just run street tires on and to the track
Old 03-02-2007, 12:11 PM
touring2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default tire rack vs trailer

I am lucky enough to live close to seattle and portland. always drive on track tires, and you may have heard about how it rains up here. traction control, and driving appropriate for conditions, which you practice in HPDE are imho all you need. but since you have such a long tow, you might want to investigate the tire rack, hand fabbed which slides into a trailer hitch receiver. it'll hold several hunred pounds, and you won't have a trailer to worry about. several of my HPDE friends have trailers, and haul *** as well as theirtires and trailers as far as willow and spokane. good luck, and be smooth. bob
Old 03-02-2007, 01:00 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Default Get the hitch!

Aside from the driving in rain issue, and the cramped ride with 4 wheels with you in the car think about this:

What do you think is going to happen to all those wheels/tires in the car with you in case of an accident?

Get the hitch and trailer.

Have a good one, and be safe.
Mike
Old 03-02-2007, 01:16 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Drill it you only live once and you don't know how long!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:20 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Besides you can take the hitch off and put in a rear tow hook during your sessions.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:11 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Get the trailer and tow the tires, tools, etc. I did it for 5 years till I got a tow vehicle and a drive on BriMar trailer. The location of drilling for the hitch is hidden way up under the car. It will never be noticed at resale time. There are several tire trailers for sale in the various sections of the forum.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:44 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drill drill drill!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

For me local Auto-X's are not a problem however, I'm a little leary of driving any considerable distance on track tires. I'm starting HPDE's this year and Pocono is the closest venue, and a 2+ hour drive. I'll either have to make the trip on street tires or, have my wife drive the SUV with the track wheels/tires inside. I'm seriously considering a tire trailer, but haven't found many offerings other than http://www.sstrailers.com/racetrailer1.htm and the Harbor Freight versions. Any other trailer suggestions? Unfortunately my SUV (FX35) is not up to the task of hauling the Z06.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:33 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Hey Chris,

Guess how I voted !!!

Get the hitch... in fact I have one available off my old 04.. C5-Z06.

Cya @ the track,

Trumper
Old 03-03-2007, 09:17 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Adding a hitch won't hurt anything (maybe get somebody to drill the holes for you so you don't see the drill digging thru her frame! )

Harbor Freight has a nice 3'x4' trailer that will work fine for hauling tires and some tools: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90153 They are usually in stock at their retail outlets. Get the version with the 12" wheels!! There is a version that uses an 8" wheel and the tires look pretty flimsy for hiway use.

This is my trailer setup:

The deck is a 4x4 sheet of 3/4" plywood and the Contico box came from Home Depot. The center hub of the wheel sit on two vertical piece of 2" cast iron pile that is bolted to the deck. All I use is a single 1" ratchet strap to secure them.

This setup will tow at 70MPH all day long behind my 87 coupe. The tires do block the view from the inside rear view mirror but the trailer is narrower than the car so the outside mirrors are not obstructed at all.

The box is big enough for tools, a small hydraulic jack, a pair of jack stands, and extra coolant, oil, and brake fluid.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:21 AM
gpm30236
Racer

Am with everyone else. DRILL put the hitch on the car, The packing of tires inside just seems dangerous
Old 03-03-2007, 03:03 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drill it. I have a hitch on my 02 Z06. Had one on my 92 C4 also. The hitch on the Z is hardly noticeable. It's also an easy install. It is not going to affect your resale. You can remove it easily later if you want.

Like Vettedrmr. I wouldn't stack 4 wheels/tires inside my car.

For an HPDE weekend you need to bring more than just 4 tires. A trailer with tote bin mounted on it is great. Room for your 4 tires, a canopy, cooler, etc... In the tote bin. A spare set of front rotors, complete set of pads, serpentine belt, fluids. Jack, stands, toolbox with all the needed tools. You'll be glad you brought all that stuff. And now you have room in your car for your helmet and gear, a cooler, clothes, etc..
Old 03-04-2007, 09:48 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks everyone! Looks like until I have a tow vehicle or go to an event with someone who has extra space for tires, etc. it's a hitch and trailer for me.

I'll search other CF threads for info about the best hitch, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To To Drill Or Not To Drill; That Is The Question

Quick Reply: To Drill Or Not To Drill; That Is The Question