Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness Mounting in Late C4s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:59 PM
96lt4cevette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness Mounting in Late C4s?

Anyone have pics of a harness mounted in a Late c4? Can we go the the floor in the rear or do we need a harness bar? Any other inventive setups?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:15 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

You need a harness bar, otherwise you spine will be compressed in a accident.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:08 PM
96lt4cevette
Intermediate

So yes, immediatly after posting this I found Hardbars site, and plan on getting a harnessbar.

So that covers the top mounting point, what about the floor(s)?

Does anyone else actually have a harness in their C4 with stock seats?

Chooseing a Harness...
If its just to keep my butt and shoulders in place during autoX and PDX's, who makes a good harness? 3, 5, or 6 point? Why?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:56 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Gary sells special bolts, with a 6pt harness you wind up using the same points as the stock belt. Both the side straps and the lower (antisubmarine) belts go there. The lower belts go between the seat bottom and back.

Don't put them over the front of the seat.
1) the don't work as anti-submarine belts
2) the belts can cut into your legs

This is a C5, but I've got my C4 rigged the same way.

Since we don't have a hole in our seatback, if you can afford it, get the sternum strap, so the shoulder belts don't spread apart.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I used the R&D racing bar and it is bolted to where upper seat belt guide goes and where the glass roof stores when not used. I also used the R&D fire extinguisher mounts to mount the sub belts as well as a fire extiguisher on the passanger side. I like the G-force cam locks, you can get the more traditional latch and save a bit but I like the camlock.

Here's a shot of the rear

Sorry the belts are blocking where the harness bar secures to keep from rotating.

and front

The one thing that I would definatly get though would be the Brey/Krause harness mount so you can remove the inner lap belt, I haven't bought the kit yet but it sucks having that thing flap around when you aren't using your harness.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1565674
Old 03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The lower belts are mounted to the stock lower seat belt mounts, since the stock belt is gone.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:15 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Look at the manufactures suggestions for mounting harnesses.

Normally for shoulder harness it is +/- 5* from shoulder level.
Mounted though seat back holes, not around the seat.
Mounted on two points not one point for two belts.
The bar for mounting the belts should be as close as possible to the back of the seat.

PCA is going to a uniform Harness mounting rules:

"Harness systems

February 5, 2007
Dear National Staff and Region Presidents,

The purpose of this email is to inform you of a change in the Driver's
Education National Standards regarding the use of safety harnesses which will become effective on Jan.1, 2008. The current "Equal Restraint"
Standard states that both the student and instructor shall have the same restraint system.

The problem with this Standard is that it does not define the complete system, in terms of the type of seat to be used with a 5 or 6 point harness.
The new "Harness" Standard (See below) is written to compliment the
"Equal Restraint" Standard and will go into effect January 1, 2008, but a region may adopt the standard earlier.

The new standard states that if a harness system is installed, it must be used in conjunction with a seat with manufacturer supplied routing holes for the shoulder and anti-submarine belts. These routing holes insure that the belts will remain in place when needed. A one piece seat is recommended but not required for it may interfere with the operation of the OEM three piece belt required for street application.

Thank you for your help in implementing this new standard. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Pete Tremper
National DE Committee Chairman"

FIA standared:
THE INTERNATIONAL SPORTING CODE, Appendix J Article 253, Safety Equipment

http://www.fia.com/resources/documen...pJ_Art_253.pdf

NASA harness system Tech regs

15.5 Driver restraint system
(See diagram at end of section)
1. All vehicles must have a five (5), six (6), or seven (7) point seat belt system. Arm restraints are required in open cars and cars with: Open T-tops, Open Targa tops, missing moon/sun roofs, or glass moon/sun roofs.
2. A five (5) point system consists of a three (3) inch lap belt, two (2) or three (3) inch shoulder belts, and a two (2) inch anti-submarine strap.
3. A six (6) point system is recommended for cars where the driver is seated in an upright (to thirty (30) degrees) or a semi-reclining position. It consists of two (2) anti-submarine belts in addition to lap and shoulder belts. Note: Current FIA Approved belt sets with two (2) inch lap belts are acceptable with the six (6) point system.
4. A seven (7) point system is recommended for seats with more than thirty (30) degrees of incline. Note: Current FIA Approved belt sets with two (2) inch lap belts are acceptable with the seven (7) point system.
5. The material of all straps should be Nylon or polyester, and in new or perfect condition. The buckles should be metal quick release. There should be a
common release for all belts. [Note: Certain Momo brand belts were recalled by the manufacturer. These are NOT suitable for racing.]
6. The shoulder harness shall be mounted behind the driver and above a line drawn downward from the shoulder point at an angle of no more than twenty (20) degrees with the horizontal.
7. The seat, seat holes, and attachments to the seat are not permissible “harness
guides” for compliance with the angle requirement. Only specific harness guide bars, or parts of the chassis or the cage are allowed to be used for this purpose.
The guide bar, if used, should not present a sharp edge to the belt. It should provide as much area of support as possible to distribute the load.
8. Only separate shoulder straps are permitted. “H” type belts are allowed. “Y” type belts are not allowed. Each shoulder strap must have an independent mounting point.
9. All mounting hardware should be SAE grade five (5) or better. Large diameter mounting washers should be used to spread the load. Bolting through floor panels etc. is not acceptable without required washers.
10. All belts should meet at least one of the following:
A) SFI Specification 16.1 or 16.5 (for use with HANS only) and shall bear a dated label of no more than two (2) years old. At least one date label is required on belt sets.
B) A restraint system meeting FIA spec #8853/1985, 8853/98, or D-###.T/98,
including amendment 1/92 may be used. FIA certified belts have a label that shows an expiration date. The belts cannot be used past December 31st of the year shown on the label. At least one date label is required on belt sets.
11. All drivers should take care to ensure that their belts are properly worn, adjusted, and latched. “Cam-lock” type belts can be subject to inadvertent release,
should the driver fail to ensure that they are properly latched.
12. Any driver involved in a high impact crash shall send all of their safety belts back to the manufacturer for inspection, re-webbing if necessary, and re-certification
before they may be used again in competition. Proof of re-certification is the driver’s responsibility.
13. All belts should be threaded to the manufacturer’s instructions. An example of one type of threading instruction set appears at end of this section.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:45 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96lt4cevette
Does anyone else actually have a harness in their C4 with stock seats?
I do. I've lowered my seats to gain clearance for my helmet but they are stock seats and I have Gary's hardbar with TeamTech's 6 pt camlock. The upper mounting is obvious and as Brian mentioned, the lap and sub belts with piggyback the stock belt mounting points. I have the sub belts coming over the sides of the seats rather than between the seat pan and the back but as Brian said they are useless when they come over the front.

Originally Posted by 96lt4cevette
Chooseing a Harness...
If its just to keep my butt and shoulders in place during autoX and PDX's, who makes a good harness? 3, 5, or 6 point? Why?
There are many good harness setups out there but I would only recommend 6 pt, 4 has little anti-sub protection and 5 will kill your manhood! I have found 6 to be much more comfortable and doesn't require any seat mods (especially if you've got stock seats).

If you're interested I have an AS&M bar with a Schroth 6 pt setup I'll let go used if you're interested
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1494188
Old 03-06-2007, 09:12 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by astock165

There are many good harness setups out there but I would only recommend 6 pt, 4 has little anti-sub protection and 5 will kill your manhood! I have found 6 to be much more comfortable and doesn't require any seat mods (especially if you've got stock seats).

If you're interested I have an AS&M bar with a Schroth 6 pt setup I'll let go used if you're interested
most clubs wont let you use a 4 point belt. Some ppl mention they use the 4 point AND the stock 3 point. That is too many belts to unhook in an emergancy

5 point with race seat, 6 point is a better harness and saves the family jewls

When setting up harness and seats, dont forget to have an exit stratgey too. Just like on the track

SHould be able to get out of your harness system, open the door and out of your car in under 10 seconds.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Red Guts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by astock165
I notice you cut off the top connectors on the ASM bar. Is it still as effective? Those things can make it a pain to install/remove the top.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:16 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Red Guts
I notice you cut off the top connectors on the ASM bar. Is it still as effective? Those things can make it a pain to install/remove the top.
Yes they did and they didn't line up well either so as shipped it those members were preloaded a bit in bending. Also, with the harnesses pulling on them in a forward impact I felt those connectors would be put in compression, in which case they'd be useless anyway. I decided it wouldn't be a big loss to have them go.

I found it to be effective afterwards.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

My dad has a Hardbar from his old '91 that he's looking to sell. Send me a PM or email and I'll send you his contact info.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:58 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

tell me how a 6 point saves your family jewels?
both subs still must pass through the hole in the seat.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:39 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

I have tried both the 5 and the 6 point belts and I like the 5 point better. I would rather have the junk pushed down a little, instead of being pinched in the 6 points.
Now I've only worn 6 points in C5's with the Brey Krause clip in belts, but I perfer the trusty old 5 point. It might have been better if I would have had more adjustment. I'm a bigger guy 6' 240lbs so I may have just ran out of adjustment on the 6 points.

Just my $.02
Old 03-09-2007, 07:50 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by larryfs
tell me how a 6 point saves your family jewels?
both subs still must pass through the hole in the seat.
With a 6 pt you don't necessarily have holes in the seat pan as you can pass the sub belts over the sides or through the seat back and pan.

I find I sit on the two sub belts such that they're on the low parts of my "cheeks" so any force will go over the upper back part of both legs, rather than one point in the crotch.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:30 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

When looking at a 6 point make sure that the 6 point that you get doesn't have adjusters that would sit under you butt. This can quite literaly become a pain in the @$$. I believe Schroth had adjusters there but Sabelt didn't.

Get notified of new replies

To Harness Mounting in Late C4s?

Quick Reply: Harness Mounting in Late C4s?