Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on car hauler trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:30 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Opinions on car hauler trailer

I am picking up a 99 coupe to make a track car. I want to get a trailer to pull it to the track (long ways from home).

For now I have a 1/2 ton Chevy Avalanche to pull the trailer. Chevy website says max trailer weight is 7,200#. I could put airbags on the rear axle if necessary I suppose.

I would like to get an enclosed trailer. 24' to 28'.

What do y'all think about my truck being able to pull an enclosed trailer and car?

I pulled my 72 on an open trailer from Mississippi to Texas with a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup and did not have any problems. I imagine an enclosed trailer will increase wind resistance considerably.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:38 PM
zo6chik
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 28 ft would be way to big for you. kind of a lot of wasted space for one car and it would kick your half tons a$$. it sucks too pull with my 2500 suburban. i can get 2 cars in it(way to big). this weekend we are taking the vette and my buddies honda to the the auto cross event in it. a 24ft might work for you. get the smallest trailer possible without running out of room for your gear. good luck, youll love an enclosed
Old 03-23-2007, 10:55 PM
bk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 24' enclosed I pull with my Dodge 1500 4WD. Air drag is much more of a challenge than the weight of the trailer. Tows close to the same with it empty or with the car in it.

I wouldn't want anything larger. I have plenty of space for tools, three sets of wheels and tires etc.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:40 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You need to find out the weight of the empty trailer and add the weight of your car and anything else that will go into the trailer. The towed weight should ideally be about 80% of the tow vehicle's rated towing capacity.

You will need a weight distributing hitch setup and a swaybar to keep the trailer load within the weight capacity of the hitch (assuming the hitch on it now is a Class III. Box trailers will be impacted by sidewinds and getting passed by big trucks on the freeway so a sway bar is important here.

Does your Avalance have the factory towing package on it?? Even if it does, get the largest tranny cooler you can fit behind the grill. Going with airbags to keep the truck level will help but you may want to look at some helper springs. There are types out there that will add carrying capacity but don't change the ride or rear height when the truck is empty.

If you don not have the tow package, you will have to add wiring for lights and a traielr brake controller. BTW, get a Prodigy trailer brake controller; it's one of the best out there!!

At that towing weight, you should have a set of LT-rated tires with an Load Range D or E rating. You have to include the cargo weight that is inside the truck when you figure out the total GWV of the vehicle. That includes, luggage, your wife, your buddies, the kids, the dog, and anything else that goes inside the truck.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:52 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree a 28' is too long and heavy

I have a 24' enclosed Pace Pursuit, and use a 1500HD with about a 9000# tow capsity. I am just about at my tow limit. It is not too bad on road without 18 wheels. But on highways those 18 wheelers just pull you into them. Speed is limited to 55-60mph.

On the big hills I slow way down, not by choice, just can not quite make lots of pull. Same in the mountains. But it does work.

I get 11.5 mpg towing.

I did pull my freinds 28' empty once for 10 or so miles. What a big difference. I would have hatted to have a car inside.

You will need an trans cooler if your truck does not have you will you need it.

I change my trans and diff fluids on the truck almost as much as the vette. about every 4 events.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 03-24-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:40 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 24' aluminum optima and tow with a diesel ford excursion. Wouldn't want anything bigger and yes it is plenty big for a car and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:52 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep my eye open for a 24' trailer.

When I trade the Avalanche in, I'll probably get a diesel 2500.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:33 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SS Racing
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep my eye open for a 24' trailer.

When I trade the Avalanche in, I'll probably get a diesel 2500.

Then you will have no problems hauling with that diesel 2500
Old 03-25-2007, 04:11 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest reason you should not pull an enclosed trailer and car with a 1/2 ton is the brakes on the truck are too small. Carefully check load rating on tires and rims. The longer the wheel base of the tow rig the better.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on car hauler trailer

Quick Reply: Opinions on car hauler trailer