Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stiring up dirt

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:15 PM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stiring up dirt

Preamble: I thought I would stir up some dirt and get some reactionary feedback, hopefully borderline flame (we are gentlemen and friends, no?). By suggesting:

GM got the tire size wrong in the rear C6Z.

335/30/18 is my standard tire now. It gives an edge in ratio, flatens the car for undercurrent aero, stabilizes the rear. The only reason I can see stock being 1/2" higher (wheel radius difference) is for factory "corner weighting", which is pretty even on measurement. But I can corner weight agan and solve that.

That means the 20" wheels guys are really off base unless they're doing it to look cool. I can get off of that, man it looks great, I'm luck to wash my car, let along wax it, but I'm into road race performance, and you can slam that car around like putty with this rear profile.

I know, I know, worse mileage on the highway, and have to reset the VCU.....BUT......

Since I changed......I haven't stirred up (track) dirt.... once.

Hey, until now. You are now under obigation as a reader to heat up and burn this thread! Enjoy!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:57 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by kelp
It gives an edge in ratio, flatens the car for undercurrent aero, stabilizes the rear. The only reason I can see stock being 1/2" higher (wheel radius difference) is for factory "corner weighting", which is pretty even on measurement.
Can't speak directly to the C6Z06, but the C5 needs some forward rake (rear suspension higher than the front) for high speed stability. Get the rake down towards zero and the front starts floating at high speeds (esp. like you see at the track). Also affects weight transfer on corner entry/exit.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-06-2007, 07:15 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kelp

That means the 20" wheels guys are really off base unless they're doing it to look cool. I can get off of that, man it looks great, I'm luck to wash my car, let along wax it, but I'm into road race performance, and you can slam that car around like putty with this rear profile.
!
19 & 20" wheels are a joke. Personnally I dont even think they look cool, more like what was that guy thinking?

Not to mention the weight disadvantage or a 19" let alone a 20" steam roller.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:45 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I flatten my C-4 just for looks but when I did 164 it was horrible. Rake creates low pressure under the car.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:45 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The new body is so nice for aero, but still needs rake!!!!!! 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Stiring up dirt

Quick Reply: Stiring up dirt