Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO GET TRACK TIME? any secrets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:43 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default HOW TO GET TRACK TIME? any secrets?

HEY GUYS

ANY RACE TRACKS IN THE SOUTHWEST HAVE STRAIGHT TRACK TIME? THATS AFFORDABLE?

I am new and everyone says get more track time, practice practice..well I want to but where the hell can i get like 3 or 4 hours of straight track time

HPDE's are great and i do enjoy them but 5- 20 minute runs one or two days month is just too damn slow

i got my pilot license and i got good at it but flying for hours and hours and hours day after day . and after about 300 hours i was decent

could land and take off , stall- recover , etc in about 4 different planes day or night good or bad weather

but 20 minutes every hour one day a month i am going to be dead before i get decent at driving race cars!

so what is the secret of getting track time?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:56 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure what you mean. Most HPDE are 20 minute sessions but 3-5 per day. Some tracks do back to back track days. The reason why the sessions are not longer is people new to track (as well as experienced drivers) use up a lot more energy per session due to stress/adrenaline/physical effort/etc and lose focus. The lack of focus can lead to an incident.

Here in New Mexico there are two tracks you can rent rather cheaply per hour, especially if its on a weekday and you share the track with 3 other friends. They are Sandia Motorsports Park in Albuquerque and Arroyo Seca in Deming. HPDEs shared with others are well under $100/day but the tracks are not the quality of other tracks else where but more than good enough to teach the fundamentals. That $100 is for up to five 20 minute sessions.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:07 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TommyBoy72
I am not sure what you mean. Most HPDE are 20 minute sessions but 3-5 per day. Some tracks do back to back track days. The reason why the sessions are not longer is people new to track (as well as experienced drivers) use up a lot more energy per session due to stress/adrenaline/physical effort/etc and lose focus. The lack of focus can lead to an incident.

Here in New Mexico there are two tracks you can rent rather cheaply per hour, especially if its on a weekday and you share the track with 3 other friends. They are Sandia Motorsports Park in Albuquerque and Arroyo Seca in Deming. HPDEs shared with others are well under $100/day but the tracks are not the quality of other tracks else where but more than good enough to teach the fundamentals. That $100 is for up to five 20 minute sessions.
thanks that what 'im talking about !!
Old 04-06-2007, 10:10 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Plus also the car cant take that much. You will find that each weekend or two days on the track your car will need to days to be refreshed.

Good Luck and have at it

Old 04-06-2007, 11:47 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Plus also the car cant take that much. You will find that each weekend or two days on the track your car will need to days to be refreshed.

Good Luck and have at it

just would be nice to be able to do more than 20 min - i think car can handle a helluva lot its not a damn ricer

Last edited by rustyguns; 04-07-2007 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
HEY GUYS

ANY RACE TRACKS IN THE SOUTHWEST HAVE STRAIGHT TRACK TIME? THATS AFFORDABLE?

I am new and everyone says get more track time, practice practice..well I want to but where the hell can i get like 3 or 4 hours of straight track time

HPDE's are great and i do enjoy them but 5- 20 minute runs one or two days month is just too damn slow

i got my pilot license and i got good at it but flying for hours and hours and hours day after day . and after about 300 hours i was decent

could land and take off , stall- recover , etc in about 4 different planes day or night good or bad weather

but 20 minutes every hour one day a month i am going to be dead before i get decent at driving race cars!

so what is the secret of getting track time?
http://www.clubspringmountain.com/
Old 04-07-2007, 03:57 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z11409
cheaper to fly a plane
Old 04-07-2007, 04:44 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
just would be nice to be able to do more than 20 min - i think car can handle a helluva lot its not a damn ricer
it can't handle it when you going fast. 4 twenty minute sessions for two days and you should have made enough strides to feel some good accomplishment.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:53 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
it can't handle it when you going fast. 4 twenty minute sessions for two days and you should have made enough strides to feel some good accomplishment.
very true no argument just hate having to drive to the mountains and run a radar detector to go fast for more than 20 minutes and of course never braking any laws

like this guys says:

Seat Time - Once you are ready to go racing, remember that seat time is everything. Get in a racecar every chance you get. Whether it's a go-kart, a streetcar on the race track, or a made-for-racing racecar, do everything you can to get as much seat time as possible. That's all there is to it. Unless you happen to have a rich uncle or a very big pile of money, this is generally how most folks go about becoming a driver. I hope this proves to be helpful to you. You are also more than welcome to send back specific questions if you would like, and the experienced representatives there will answer them promptly.

Good Luck!
Taylor Fletcher

Last edited by rustyguns; 04-07-2007 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:23 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

going fast for 3-4 hours is not affordable for most. You will rack up some heavy maintenance bills in short order at the bare minimum. Fly around a mountain with a detector is not for me they are to high!
Old 04-07-2007, 06:51 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
going fast for 3-4 hours is not affordable for most. You will rack up some heavy maintenance bills in short order at the bare minimum. Fly around a mountain with a detector is not for me they are to high!
i guess my old days of going fast for 3 or 4+ hours in baja races make me want to keep going!
Old 04-07-2007, 07:16 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh we totally understand.

Most vettes can run 45-50 min with fuel on board before needed to stop for refueling. Unless your running a big fuel cell.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:54 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Oh we totally understand.

Most vettes can run 45-50 min with fuel on board before needed to stop for refueling. Unless your running a big fuel cell.
Yeah 45 min is prob about right, but we all know you don't get a full run everytime because someone runs off or spins out or hits the barrier

and sometimes thats me

but when your having a good run with a good group it would be alotta fun to run 45 minutes at a time. then take an hour break and do it again!

i dont know about you guys but when you running fast time goes by sooo quick 20 min feels like 5 minutes

Last edited by rustyguns; 04-07-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:46 PM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

find some HPDE groups that let you run down a group. If you are in advanced some groups will let you run the next group down. You will just pull off at the end of your 20 min. advanced group and line up and go out with the intermediate group. 40 minutes per hour should satisfy.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:08 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by danswofford
find some HPDE groups that let you run down a group. If you are in advanced some groups will let you run the next group down. You will just pull off at the end of your 20 min. advanced group and line up and go out with the intermediate group. 40 minutes per hour should satisfy.
oooooh! good idea!
Old 04-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Miguels
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shoot, I am tired after 30 minutes of indoor go karting....3-4 hours of track....I would be dead.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:11 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Miguels
shoot, I am tired after 30 minutes of indoor go karting....3-4 hours of track....I would be dead.

Most people at HPDE's end up going home early on the second day. Some go because they have a long trip ahead of them but most I think are just plain worn out by that time. It's mentally and physically strenuous to go out there 4 or 5 times a day for 20 minutes. Because of this, it happens to be a great time to get a lot of open track time. Thinner crowd. There really aren't that many "incidents" on the track these days. Especially at those well run NCM events. So there's no reason to expect any less than 200-250 track miles in a weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To HOW TO GET TRACK TIME? any secrets?

Old 04-07-2007, 10:15 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by robvuk

Most people at HPDE's end up going home early on the second day. Some go because they have a long trip ahead of them but most I think are just plain worn out by that time. It's mentally and physically strenuous to go out there 4 or 5 times a day for 20 minutes. Because of this, it happens to be a great time to get a lot of open track time. Thinner crowd. There really aren't that many "incidents" on the track these days. Especially at those well run NCM events. So there's no reason to expect any less than 200-250 track miles in a weekend.
I LIKE THE SECOND DAY IDEA!
Old 04-08-2007, 12:22 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Once you progress, a lot of clubs have an "Advanced Student" / "Instructor" day the Friday before the school weekend.

A few times that I've run these open track days....literally 8 hours of track time is available...I've gone thru a set of brakes, rotors, and tires. All of which means you have to have another set of everything ready to go for the weekend. As everyone has metioned, it's also quite exhausting. I find myself throttling back Sat/Sun and just focusing on helping my students.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:31 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Once you progress, a lot of clubs have an "Advanced Student" / "Instructor" day the Friday before the school weekend.

A few times that I've run these open track days....literally 8 hours of track time is available...I've gone thru a set of brakes, rotors, and tires. All of which means you have to have another set of everything ready to go for the weekend. As everyone has metioned, it's also quite exhausting. I find myself throttling back Sat/Sun and just focusing on helping my students.
sounds good to me! i am setting up two sets of tires and i have an extra set of pads burn baby burn!

Quick Reply: HOW TO GET TRACK TIME? any secrets?