Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the pros / cons of aggressive alignment settings on a C5 coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:56 AM
chuck1026
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default What are the pros / cons of aggressive alignment settings on a C5 coupe?

What kind of tire wear issues will I have versus improvements in handling from switching to aggressive alignment settings? I am thinking of using V&P's "Advanced Street" settings from http://www.vbandp.com/instructions/h...ruct/align.htm

Front:
  • Toe 0" to 1/32" in
  • Camber 1/4° neg
  • Caster 6-7° pos
Rear:
  • Toe 1/16" in
  • Camber 1/2° neg

I have read toe affects tire wear more so then camber, but would appreciate some real world feedback. I have new Goodyear F1 Supercar EMT's. I want to take advantage of their improved grip w/o grinding them down in 5K miles of driving.

Thanks!

Chuck
Old 04-07-2007, 11:18 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're just driving it around on the street then I don't know why you'd put any toe into the car. And I'm not sure why you'd put more camber in the rear than the front. Just stick with the stock settings if wear is your concern. IMHO
Old 04-07-2007, 12:26 PM
1999 C5 Coupe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck1026
What kind of tire wear issues will I have versus improvements in handling from switching to aggressive alignment settings? I am thinking of using V&P's "Advanced Street" settings from http://www.vbandp.com/instructions/h...ruct/align.htm

Front:
  • Toe 0" to 1/32" in
  • Camber 1/4° neg
  • Caster 6-7° pos
Rear:
  • Toe 1/16" in
  • Camber 1/2° neg

I have read toe affects tire wear more so then camber, but would appreciate some real world feedback. I have new Goodyear F1 Supercar EMT's. I want to take advantage of their improved grip w/o grinding them down in 5K miles of driving.

Thanks!

Chuck
Chuck I have similiar numbers on my coupe for toe and castor. Camber is around 1.2 front and 1 rear. I have yet to notice any adverse wear from these settings. (Over a year on current tires) My car is a dd and occasional autocrosser. The slightly more aggressive alignment was well worth it IMO.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:32 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

is that one-quarter Negative degree?

Normal is -1.0* camber.

Agressive street is -2.0*
Max but equal caster.
toe OUT 1/16" or neutral,

never tow IN.

Rear

-1.0* camber
1/16* toe in

No ranges must be exact.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:33 PM
chuck1026
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 1999 C5 Coupe
Chuck I have similiar numbers on my coupe for toe and castor. Camber is around 1.2 front and 1 rear. I have yet to notice any adverse wear from these settings. (Over a year on current tires) My car is a dd and occasional autocrosser. The slightly more aggressive alignment was well worth it IMO.
So you have 1.2 degrees of camber front and 1.0 degrees of camber on the rear? What about toe and caster?

I like to push my car on the street (apex corners, etc) so I definitely want a more aggressive setup - as long as I am not going to be buying tires too often .
Old 04-07-2007, 12:41 PM
1999 C5 Coupe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you have 1.2 degrees of camber front and 1.0 degrees of camber on the rear? What about toe and caster?

I like to push my car on the street (apex corners, etc) so I definitely want a more aggressive setup - as long as I am not going to be buying tires too often .

Correct on the camber numbers. I can't recall the exact number on the castor but it is somewhere in the range you mentioned in your initial post. Zero toe in the front and 1/16" in on the rear. The zero toe setting seems to help it turn in a lot better. It does tend to hunt and wander a little more on the road with zero toe but the turn in response is worth it to me. Slight toe in in the rear seems to help keep the rear planted under acceleration.

I think you are safe regarding tire wear if you stay close to those VBP specs. I haven't noticed anything bad running a bit more camber like I have though.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:04 PM
chuck1026
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 1999 C5 Coupe
Correct on the camber numbers. I can't recall the exact number on the castor but it is somewhere in the range you mentioned in your initial post. Zero toe in the front and 1/16" in on the rear. The zero toe setting seems to help it turn in a lot better. It does tend to hunt and wander a little more on the road with zero toe but the turn in response is worth it to me. Slight toe in in the rear seems to help keep the rear planted under acceleration.

I think you are safe regarding tire wear if you stay close to those VBP specs. I haven't noticed anything bad running a bit more camber like I have though.
Maybe I will go with just a *touch* of toe (in or out? Which is correct?) for the front and set camber at -1.0 front and rear...
Old 04-07-2007, 01:33 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,087 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
is that one-quarter Negative degree?

Normal is -1.0* camber.

Agressive street is -2.0*
Max but equal caster.
toe OUT 1/16" or neutral,

never tow IN.

Rear

-1.0* camber
1/16* toe in

No ranges must be exact.
I was reading that thinking "toe in?"
Old 04-07-2007, 01:44 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Push the car" != "not buying tires too often"

Doesn't matter what alignment you pick.

If you go with an aggressive alignment, but mostly cruise down the road, you'll prematurely wear the tires. If you go with a waxer alignment, but push the car hard, you'll prematurely wear the tires.

You're going to have to experiment with what works for you and how much tire wear you're willing to deal with.

FWIW, on my C6 Z51 I have:

Front:
-1.1deg
slight toe-out
7.5deg castor (I'm going to try less soon!)

Rear:
-0.9deg
slight toe-in

I have 9500 miles total on the car and tires. That includes 21 twenty minute sessions at Thunderhill, four or five 5 run autocrosses, and the rest are street miles. I am known to be easy on tires and equipment, mind you...
Old 04-07-2007, 02:11 PM
chuck1026
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by gkmccready
"Push the car" != "not buying tires too often"

Doesn't matter what alignment you pick.

If you go with an aggressive alignment, but mostly cruise down the road, you'll prematurely wear the tires. If you go with a waxer alignment, but push the car hard, you'll prematurely wear the tires.

You're going to have to experiment with what works for you and how much tire wear you're willing to deal with.

FWIW, on my C6 Z51 I have:

Front:
-1.1deg
slight toe-out
7.5deg castor (I'm going to try less soon!)

Rear:
-0.9deg
slight toe-in

I have 9500 miles total on the car and tires. That includes 21 twenty minute sessions at Thunderhill, four or five 5 run autocrosses, and the rest are street miles. I am known to be easy on tires and equipment, mind you...
Let me try to clarify...

I don't put many miles on my C5. It sees between 1,000 and 2,000 miles per year on average.

When I drive it, I like to enjoy it's great handling. I want an alignment that will help me wear the tires evenly... figuring on 25% to 30% of "spirited driving".

That's why I was thinking of using my originally posted settings... but I think there is a wealth of experience with settings /driving habits and resulting tread wear in here.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:28 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

That's why I was thinking of using my originally posted settings... but I think there is a wealth of experience with settings /driving habits and resulting tread wear in here.
Talking it easy is fine, but you original alignemts will ware out the tires too soon. Never toe IN, 1/4* camber will ware out the inside of the tread before the out side.

But if you one drive 1-2,000 miles a year, the tires grip capabilties will be gone in two years. Tread depth has nothing to do with grip. Tread is to remove wated from under the tire in rain. Tire life of an R compound is 18-24 maybe 30 months max, even it they are just sitting.

The tires have chemicals in the rubber that help with grip. These chemicals leach out within 12-24 months
Old 04-07-2007, 07:03 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Talking it easy is fine, but you original alignemts will ware out the tires too soon. Never toe IN, 1/4* camber will ware out the inside of the tread before the out side.

But if you one drive 1-2,000 miles a year, the tires grip capabilties will be gone in two years. Tread depth has nothing to do with grip. Tread is to remove wated from under the tire in rain. Tire life of an R compound is 18-24 maybe 30 months max, even it they are just sitting.

The tires have chemicals in the rubber that help with grip. These chemicals leach out within 12-24 months

If you only drive 1000 miles per year. Tires will dry rot first. Put any alignment on it you want and enjoy.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:52 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Front:
  • Toe 0" to 1/32" in
  • Camber 1/4° neg
  • Caster 6-7° pos
Rear:
  • Toe 1/16" in
  • Camber 1/2° neg

Thanks!

Chuck
Actually you are choosing close to a stock alignment. Most people run a lot more aggressive than that. Here are the factory recommendations. I didn't include the tolerance only service preferred numbers. My numbers are a lot more aggressive than these except for toe in. To keep wander down while driving on the highway I go with just a bit of toe in (similar to what you have chosen). I give up a little turn in at the track or an autocross but I don't have to worry about the car tracking all over the place when I am driving down the highway.

Wheel Alignment Specifications
RPO Operation Service Preferred

All Front Individual Toe + 0.04
All Front Sum Toe + 0.08
All Steering Wheel Angle 0.0
FE1 & FE3 Front Individual Caster + 7.4
FE1 & FE3 Front Cross Caster Within +/- 0.5
FE1 & FE3 Front Individual Camber - 0.20
FE1 & FE3 Front Cross Camber Within +/-0.5
FE4 (Z06) Front Individual Caster + 6.9
FE4 (Z06) Front Cross Caster Within +/- 0.5
FE4 (Z06) Front Individual Camber - 0.70
FE4 (Z06) Front Cross Camber Within +/- 0.5

All Rear Individual Toe - 0.01
All Rear Sum Toe - 0.02
All Rear Thrust Angle 0.0
FE1 & FE3 Rear Individual Camber - 0.18
FE1 & FE3 Rear Cross Camber Within +/- 0.5
FE4 (Z06) Rear Individual Camber - 0.68
FE4 (Z06) Rear Cross Camber Within +/- 0.5

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 04-08-2007 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:04 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robvuk

If you only drive 1000 miles per year. Tires will dry rot first. Put any alignment on it you want and enjoy.

Damn! You really should put more miles on it, just to keep it running right.

When you're ready to sell the car, give me a call.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:38 AM
chuck1026
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Actually you are choosing close to a stock alignment. Most people run a lot more aggressive than that. Here are the factory recommendations. I didn't include the tolerance only service preferred numbers. My numbers are a lot more aggressive than these except for toe in. To keep wander down while driving on the highway I go with just a bit of toe in (similar to what you have chosen). I give up a little turn in at the track or an autocross but I don't have to worry about the car tracking all over the place when I am driving down the highway.

Wheel Alignment Specifications
RPO Operation Service Preferred

All Front Individual Toe + 0.04
All Front Sum Toe + 0.08
All Steering Wheel Angle 0.0
FE1 & FE3 Front Individual Caster + 7.4
FE1 & FE3 Front Cross Caster Within +/- 0.5
FE1 & FE3 Front Individual Camber - 0.20
FE1 & FE3 Front Cross Camber Within +/-0.5
FE4 (Z06) Front Individual Caster + 6.9
FE4 (Z06) Front Cross Caster Within +/- 0.5
FE4 (Z06) Front Individual Camber - 0.70
FE4 (Z06) Front Cross Camber Within +/- 0.5

All Rear Individual Toe - 0.01
All Rear Sum Toe - 0.02
All Rear Thrust Angle 0.0
FE1 & FE3 Rear Individual Camber - 0.18
FE1 & FE3 Rear Cross Camber Within +/- 0.5
FE4 (Z06) Rear Individual Camber - 0.68
FE4 (Z06) Rear Cross Camber Within +/- 0.5

Bill
Thanks for the advice Bill. Do you think the C6 run flats will roll and wear evenly with decent cornering with the C5 Z06 camber settings (-0.5, or even -0.7)?

Originally Posted by bobmoore2

Damn! You really should put more miles on it, just to keep it running right.

When you're ready to sell the car, give me a call.
Don't hold your breath. My C5 is my toy, and it ain't going anywhere (Automotive Gods permitting). The mileage is low mainly because the weather in CNY stinks. Heck, it is snowing here as I type this .
Old 04-08-2007, 08:07 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Some high points for you, with the miles you drive you will need to replace the tire before they wear out (dry rot). With runflats straight up (no camber) is the only way they will wear right! If you want performance ditch the run flats, go to an agressive aligmment and replace the tires when they wear out, just plain don't worry about un even wear as the number of mile you drive they will last longer than the stickyness will!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:07 PM
chuck1026
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
Some high points for you, with the miles you drive you will need to replace the tire before they wear out (dry rot). With runflats straight up (no camber) is the only way they will wear right! If you want performance ditch the run flats, go to an agressive aligmment and replace the tires when they wear out, just plain don't worry about un even wear as the number of mile you drive they will last longer than the stickyness will!
My 6 year old 12,900 mile stockers are not dry rotted, but they have all worn very evenly. I am assuming the stock specs were ok.

I am curious if a touch more negative camber would be ok... with minimum (just a bit of) toe... thinking the answer is yes.

Get notified of new replies

To What are the pros / cons of aggressive alignment settings on a C5 coupe?

Old 04-08-2007, 01:56 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

My 6 year old 12,900 mile stockers are not dry rotted, but they have all worn very evenly. I am assuming the stock specs were ok.

I am curious if a touch more negative camber would be ok... with minimum (just a bit of) toe... thinking the answer is yes.
Chuck, sorry about the dry rot thing, actually it's just that the rubber gets hard and doesn't really work well for grip. Yes you can increase camber for better cornering although if yours are wearing evenly you probably have a good setting for the way you drive. As to toe it seems to have greater effect on wear than camber with toe out producing wear on the inside edges. now that said the runflats have a much lesser amount of sidewall flex and therefore seem to be much more sensitive to wear with increased camber.
many of us who track our cars run from 1-3 degrees of camber on the front. this much would be real bad for runflats
Old 04-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Thanks for the advice Bill. Do you think the C6 run flats will roll and wear evenly with decent cornering with the C5 Z06 camber settings (-0.5, or even -0.7)?
It depends on how much wear you can stand on the inside edges. When I first got my 97 I went through EMT tires in about 7K miles per set (even had the first set of rear tires replaced under warranty). But I was autocrossing and tracking the car besides driving on the highway. At one time I had over 2 degrees of negative camber in the front. I finally settled on -.7 all around (this was before the Z06 came out) and got decent for me tire wear.

Bill
Old 04-08-2007, 02:51 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
Chuck, sorry about the dry rot thing, actually it's just that the rubber gets hard and doesn't really work well for grip. Yes you can increase camber for better cornering although if yours are wearing evenly you probably have a good setting for the way you drive. As to toe it seems to have greater effect on wear than camber with toe out producing wear on the inside edges. now that said the runflats have a much lesser amount of sidewall flex and therefore seem to be much more sensitive to wear with increased camber.
many of us who track our cars run from 1-3 degrees of camber on the front. this much would be real bad for runflats

If the tires are not showing more wear on the outside shoulders then the alignment you already have is just fine. On the dry rot issue, no you will not see it but you can certainly feel that they don't grip like they used to.

Quick Reply: What are the pros / cons of aggressive alignment settings on a C5 coupe?