Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highrock Race track web site is up

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:16 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Highrock Race track web site is up

Highrock web site is up. Located off I85 near Salsbury NC

Property is located adjacent to Interstate 85, approximately forty minutes drive north of Charlotte and forty minutes drive south of Greensboro.

200+ Acre Parcel a 2.25 mile world-class road racing track and 120 trackside garage/ town home condominiums (“Race Condos”). Because these will be town home units, Race Condo owners will own the land beneath their Race Condo.

http://www.racehighrock.com/

Track was designed by world-renowned road-racer, Elliott Forbes-Robinson.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice to see them designing in some homes into the very near landscape. For a long term commitment, it's the smart thing to do from an ownership and operations standpoint. All too many times do racetracks suffer scrutiny years down the road where local citizens get up in arms about "the noise". How easily they forget that race weekends bring in BIG money into their local economy. This way, with the homes being right on top of the track, the argument can be had, "well, these people don't mind it all!".

It's exciting to see/hear of new tracks coming about. This sport is really alive!
Old 05-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I guess it is finally a go?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:50 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

looks good, go ahead and shut-down CMP!

First 3 turns remind me of Roebling.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:07 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

is this going to be a "public" track, or one of those buy-your-way-in country club places?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Cbntmn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be great if you could rent a condo for the week and get in on a couple of weekends activities on track. I would imagine someone will buy on or two and offer them for short term rentals. Wonder if i can talk my wife into the family vacation happening there??
Old 05-01-2007, 10:18 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I think it will be like VIR, business, condos etc. I can't imagine it being "members only" all of the time.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:23 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw it. The last turn feeding the front straight also looks like T9 at Roebling. Like some told me a while back. I'll believe this thing is real and not a rich boy country club the day I pull out of hot grid for my first lap.

That's probably why CMP isn't going anywhere.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:04 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
That's the first thing I thought of when I saw it. The last turn feeding the front straight also looks like T9 at Roebling. Like some told me a while back. I'll believe this thing is real and not a rich boy country club the day I pull out of hot grid for my first lap.

That's probably why CMP isn't going anywhere.
The turn on the long straight and even up to T4 looks a lot like Roebling. I like it!

Now if I can convince my wife a condo there is an "investment"...

CMP does teach a few things to a driver. But it is hard on brakes, tires and windshields (though have seen more broken ones at Rd ATL and VIR)
Old 05-02-2007, 07:10 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by varkwso
Now if I can convince my wife a condo there is an "investment"...

CMP does teach a few things to a driver. But it is hard on brakes, tires and windshields (though have seen more broken ones at Rd ATL and VIR)

The new ' Villa's " at VIR are starting at $400 large. View of the climbing esses and ONLY 125 feet off the esses. Not sure if I want a uninvited car in lower level with or with out the armco
Old 05-02-2007, 10:21 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
The new ' Villa's " at VIR are starting at $400 large. View of the climbing esses and ONLY 125 feet off the esses. Not sure if I want a uninvited car in lower level with or with out the armco
I am more in the $40 large department...
Old 05-02-2007, 01:07 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Did you check out the walls they built at the top of the uphill esses? Didn't look like armco to me. Looked like solid concrete. Don't mess up T9 at the top of the esses. The runoff just got shorter and much more abrupt ending...
Old 05-02-2007, 01:34 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Did you check out the walls they built at the top of the uphill esses? Didn't look like armco to me. Looked like solid concrete. Don't mess up T9 at the top of the esses. The runoff just got shorter and much more abrupt ending...
I look where I am going. so I DONT LOOK THAT WAY.

Actully I never really noticed them untill I stopped and looked at them from the Patriot Paddock.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:26 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, CMP can offer some education, BUT I simply don't enjoy driving there. And until somebody starts paying me to do it, I'm racing at tracks I enjoy. Avoiding CMP cuts my brake and tire bills in half as well.

I like a track that has a steady "flow" to it, and high rock appears to have potential.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Pardon my ignorance but this is a CLOCKWISE track..correct? As in T1 is to the left side of the pic.

Bob
Old 05-02-2007, 03:44 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

I look where I am going. so I DONT LOOK THAT WAY.

Actully I never really noticed them untill I stopped and looked at them from the Patriot Paddock.
Funny you should say that because I didn't notice them either when I was driving on track. Someone said something in the pit area about them. So I walked up to the bridge to look.

Same thing with the tire wall way out in left field at the bottom of Hog Pen. I didn't notice them because I had never planned on taking the turn *that* wide... I noticed them from the track side suites balcony. One of the guys in my class apparently knew that wall intimately and could name off the tire brands in each row
Old 05-02-2007, 03:47 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Yes, CMP can offer some education, BUT I simply don't enjoy driving there. And until somebody starts paying me to do it, I'm racing at tracks I enjoy. Avoiding CMP cuts my brake and tire bills in half as well.

I like a track that has a steady "flow" to it, and high rock appears to have potential.
I haven't done CMP yet. Was supposed to do it last month but plans changed. I was going to do it soon but I keep on hearing so many negative comments about it. Tire wear, brakes, too much grit/rocks on the track, poor facilities and places to stay down there. I suppose I have to try it once to form my own opinion. It sure is hard when VIR is just up the road and I can run any of the 4 configurations there and it has excellent facilities.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:02 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I haven't done CMP yet. Was supposed to do it last month but plans changed. I was going to do it soon but I keep on hearing so many negative comments about it. Tire wear, brakes, too much grit/rocks on the track, poor facilities and places to stay down there. I suppose I have to try it once to form my own opinion. It sure is hard when VIR is just up the road and I can run any of the 4 configurations there and it has excellent facilities.
We missed you there at CMP last month - we had a lot of Vette's there. I did not run a car of my own there though (due to MX and my deep down laziness)

VIR is a great track - but I like to run them all...variety is important. In the next week I will add Miller, Mid America, Hallet and IRP to my list...
Old 05-02-2007, 04:21 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by varkwso
We missed you there at CMP last month - we had a lot of Vette's there. I did not run a car of my own there though (due to MX and my deep down laziness)

VIR is a great track - but I like to run them all...variety is important. In the next week I will add Miller, Mid America, Hallet and IRP to my list...
I was really wanting to do that one Jeff and get you to ride with me a session and get me on line. I cut out all travel and track time for April and May due to a family issue. So it looks like I'm not back on track until end of May. 3 days on VIR Full. I will try and do CMP once though. I agree on the variety. The Glenn, Sebring, Summit Point are on the list. Might get to Summit Point this year.

Having this new track wouldn't hurt to have another venue to drive. Looks like it would be close enough to CMP to give them competition and maybe get them more motivated to address some issues and complaints people have about the track.

Get notified of new replies

To Highrock Race track web site is up

Quick Reply: Highrock Race track web site is up