Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the C5 (or C6) oil life monitor adequately account for track use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Does the C5 (or C6) oil life monitor adequately account for track use?

I've always followed the DIC and changed the oil when it tells me change oil soon unless I have an HPDE. When and HPDE is approaching I change the oil if it has over 4000 miles on it.

Can I just continue to follow the DIC? I'd assume the DIC would read oil temp, rpms, etc etc and alter the decay of the OLM.

Any ideas?

How often do you change the oil in a tack only car?

How often do you swap in a stree/track car?

Just curious if I'm wasting money swapping the oil out before an HPDE.

I normally do the trans/dif once a year and I have an oil cooler as of last fall.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:41 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

I run the OLM down to < 10% before I change the oil (DIC messages start bugging me), and run the results to Blackstone labs.

I changed out the valve springs during this past oil interval, which led to high iron and lead (from the yellow paint on the LS6 springs?) content; otherwise everything is looking good for an engine with > 150K miles on her.

So, I'm content with using the OLM all the time to determine when to change the oil.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Thanks... reason I ask... is my buddy Rich told me he always uses the DIC on his '06 Z. I asked him, "Even w/ the track events?" His reply, "In 12,xxx miles I've changed it 3 times allready, all as indicated by the DIC.

I may just start doing this... I do run a K&N filter along w/ it.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The only thing the OLM cannot account for is dusty conditions. Engine heat and running time are used to calculate the amount of oil life remaining. I see my OL % drop after doing an HPDE. Since I only put about 4K miles on per year I change the oil once per year per GM's instructions even though the remaining oil life is in the 50% range.

Bill
Old 05-03-2007, 05:55 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

WHen I change the oil ( M1 15-w50) I reset the oil monitor to 100%

If I have a good weekend and run hard, it goes down to 70%

then the second weekend down to 30-35% and that is when I change the oil.

If I have easy weekends it goes down in 20% steps.

So it does a fairly good job.

I would put fresh oil in just prior to a track weekend, then run it.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OLM work good I tested my oil at 1500 track only miles and was told to go 2500 next time. It may vary with your car if it runs hotter than mine. Also if you add a lot of oil to your engine you are replacing additives which is good. Get a free test kit from Blackstone and learn a ton for 25 bucks about your engine. It is money well spent. It will tell you if your air filter is working well also. Changing it after each event is doing nothing but lightening your wallet They can test all you fluids if you like. They can check from a sample you do not have to drain it. Some guys with diesel pickups are going 30,000 on synthetics and test ing as the miles go by.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:52 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I change my oil based on 2 things

1. OLM

2. OLM because some people who know on here say it is ok

No problems so far
Old 05-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Awesome guys... I'll stat following the OLM for track events too.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:20 PM
GB'sZo6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt and contamination

The main thing to consider is not the oil loosing lubricating value but how much crap gets in the oil.

I need to change the oil in my car usually after each hard two day track event because of the dirt and burn products that are collected after track events. My oil gets really black and contaminated. I have proven this with oil analysis. IN fact I used a company that does aircraft engines and they told me not to fly the plane ! Not knowing it was a suped up car engine.

Your oil condition after track events can also give you an idea on how healthy your engine is.

Additionally, If your pushing it on the the track, your going to see it in the oil.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:31 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GB'sZo6
The main thing to consider is not the oil loosing lubricating value but how much crap gets in the oil.

I need to change the oil in my car usually after each hard two day track event because of the dirt and burn products that are collected after track events. My oil gets really black and contaminated. I have proven this with oil analysis. IN fact I used a company that does aircraft engines and they told me not to fly the plane ! Not knowing it was a suped up car engine.

Your oil condition after track events can also give you an idea on how healthy your engine is.

Additionally, If your pushing it on the the track, your going to see it in the oil.
glad I go easy to get 2500 miles.

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-04-2007 at 12:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Does the C5 (or C6) oil life monitor adequately account for track use?

Quick Reply: Does the C5 (or C6) oil life monitor adequately account for track use?