Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 shock recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:10 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Default C4 shock recommendations

Any and all shock recommendations (except adjustable) requested.

I have a '93 ZR1 I autoX and after 14 1/2 years, the shocks are feeling a little loose. Ok, that was an understatement, the damn car is wallowing all over the place when driving at the limit...cornering, braking, or accelerating. I had a '71 coupe I put Koni's on and was happy with them, on the other hand, the springs were so stiff, any shock probably would have "worked".
I run in the NCCC 1F class so I can't use adjustable shocks. I'm not so much looking for a concensus on one particular shock as much as I 'm looking for what's available out there. I don't want to use the Bilstein adjustable shocks the car came with as I don't think the "performance" setting is very performance oriented. It may be more of an issue with the springs used as they were softer than the base car.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2007, 06:04 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

You can get Bilsteins revalved to whatever spec you want, same with Konis.

Aren't FX3 adjustables allowed?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:10 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I use Koni adjustables and like them a lot. PIA to adjust the rear since you have to pull the shock down (or cut a hole in the rear compartment) is a negative.

Others like the QA1 setup and swear by them. Negative is that I've read that their quality is spotty (but that's certainly not proof it's true).

Brian mentioned the other alternative...have the Bilsteins revalved to your preference

Old 05-09-2007, 08:54 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Call Bilstien, ask for Jack French, work out a custom valving for your usage. Send your shocks to him, pay $150 for brand new guts.

I use their "Sears point" valving if I remember correctly...
Old 05-09-2007, 09:53 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

70 per shock but it is worth it. Takes 10 days = or- depending on their work load.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:46 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

I appreciate the responses but as I said above:

I don't want a consensus of any particular shock, including revalved stock shocks.
I don't want/can't run adjustables.
I don't want to run the stock FX3 shocks even though they're legal.

I'm just looking for a list of non-adjustable strictly performance oriented shocks that I can choose from. Any off brand gems out there not known to the general public?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:11 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you against using non-adjustable Bilsteins?

Or are you just against using adjustable ones?

I'll be running non-adjustable custom valved Bilsteins from VB&P on my C4.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:47 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

It's a racing rules thing.

The only allowed adjustables are the stock FX3's

So he's asking what's the best non-adjusable he can run.

Seems silly, but that's racing!
Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by glass slipper
I'm just looking for a list of non-adjustable strictly performance oriented shocks that I can choose from. Any off brand gems out there not known to the general public?
I don't get it...you're basically telling us that we should do the work for you.

Three people above suggested that the best way to go is to get a custom valving from Bilstien. It's cheaper than new shocks, and will most likely give you the best performance and still be legal in your class.

So...are you afraid to call them or something? Brian's got championships from all over the country, I have my share running NASA, and we both run custom Bilstiens.

But sorry, it's a little leg work to send yours back.

Sorry chief, going fast takes a little effort. There's no magical "off brand gem" shock that everyone's keeping a secret that you can use if you keep asking. And again, how is that going to be better than one designed specifically for what YOU want?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:14 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZBRA
Are you against using non-adjustable Bilsteins?

Or are you just against using adjustable ones?

I'll be running non-adjustable custom valved Bilsteins from VB&P on my C4.
No, I'm not against running non-adjustable Bilsteins, I just don't like the adjustable ones. I didn't know non-adjustable custom valved Bilsteins were available...that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Thanks!!
Old 05-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

No, I'm not against running non-adjustable Bilsteins, I just don't like the adjustable ones. I didn't know non-adjustable custom valved Bilsteins were available...that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Thanks!!
Yes they are. They are almost the cost of new though, so you many want to just order them new. Getting them revalved, they don't repaint them or anything. From what I read, poly mounts come on the revalved and race models. Soft rubber is on them otherwise.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:21 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have some like new Z51s for sale.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1622943
Old 05-11-2007, 05:43 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
I don't get it...you're basically telling us that we should do the work for you.

Three people above suggested that the best way to go is to get a custom valving from Bilstien. It's cheaper than new shocks, and will most likely give you the best performance and still be legal in your class.

So...are you afraid to call them or something? Brian's got championships from all over the country, I have my share running NASA, and we both run custom Bilstiens.

But sorry, it's a little leg work to send yours back.

Sorry chief, going fast takes a little effort. There's no magical "off brand gem" shock that everyone's keeping a secret that you can use if you keep asking. And again, how is that going to be better than one designed specifically for what YOU want?
So, "going fast takes a little effort"!!! Are you kidding!!! Just a little??? You must be really good as I have to put a lot of effort into going fast. I do ALL the work on my cars including dropping transmissions, rear ends, pulling/rebuilding engines, alignments, tuning, and I even change my own tires (as in remove tire from rim/install new tire). With the exception of the engine, I've already done all of the above this year. But for a real challenge, try amputating your right hand (left if you're left handed), have it reattached (minus a few original parts, plus a few artificial parts and some rearranged parts), go through years of multiple surgeries and therapy and still do all of the above and race through the pain of permanent nerve damage and scar tissue. Then you'll be walking in my shoes as I did that in March 2000...circular saws are not forgiving of mistakes.

Sorry for the rant, while your whole post was rude, your "little effort" comment got to me...I'm very thankful to still have my hand, but you have no idea how much extra effort is required from me to enjoy this hobby we all love so much. I'm also well aware of how quickly it can end, please try to keep this in perspective before making another post like above. It's easy to be an internet tough guy/keyboard bully, it's more fun to enjoy life. If you want to see real effort, go to a hand therapy place (or any physical therapy place) and watch as people struggle to regain a fraction what we take for granted every day.

I was simply trying to gather a list of shocks available out there in case there's something I haven't heard of and then I'll do the leg work to figure out what's best for ME! I wasn't looking to see the "hot" setup everybody is running or the "secret" magical shock. The revalved nonadjustable Bilsteins from VB&P info in the post above is what I was looking for and is what I'll go with. It's a three week down time (not 10 days) to have my shocks revalved/rebuilt (I already know that as I've already researched it) and I don't have a three week time frame where I'm not racing for a while. I've been racing for 25 years so this isn't my first rodeo. It's clear you didn't "get" what I was looking for, obviously I didn't do a good job of communicating and I'll take the hit for that, my apologies.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:57 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Sorry for the rant, while your whole post was rude,
Agreed...I apologize.

I've gotten tired of people asking questions and expecting everyone to offer up the exact tidbit with step by step instructions on how to do it rather than take five minutes and do a search, or look a little deeper when a search doesn't turn anything up. I'm not going to change it, but I was in a pissy mood because of it (could you tell?).

Several people had mentioned the Bilstiens and it appeared as though you were ignoring the suggestions and kept asking for the "magic shock" to solve all your problems. Didn't give me any right to go off on you, though.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:46 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Agreed...I apologize.

I've gotten tired of people asking questions and expecting everyone to offer up the exact tidbit with step by step instructions on how to do it rather than take five minutes and do a search, or look a little deeper when a search doesn't turn anything up. I'm not going to change it, but I was in a pissy mood because of it (could you tell?).

Several people had mentioned the Bilstiens and it appeared as though you were ignoring the suggestions and kept asking for the "magic shock" to solve all your problems. Didn't give me any right to go off on you, though.
No problems.

I really should have been more clear that I've been out of the loop as far as aftermarket products are concerned for awhile. I hadn't heard of QA1 shocks (ignorance) until about a year ago and I'd forgotten about KYBs (old age) until I ran across them while looking a couple of days ago. I was really just looking for names of shocks or some kind of alternative (like the custom valved nonadjustable Bilsteins) due to my ignorance so I could investigate each one to find the best one for me. I'm very good at doing specific research on particular items/subjects on the internet but you can't research if you don't have a name/topic. If ignorance is bliss, I must be the happiest person on earth!
Old 05-12-2007, 08:43 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

So anyway, now that that's settled...for $100,000 I'll tell you what my secret hot setup is...

Old 05-12-2007, 08:48 PM
brenb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was really just looking for names of shocks....
Penske, Ohlins, Moton, JRZ. Enjoy
Old 05-13-2007, 09:33 AM
RAFTeRACER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, "going fast takes a little effort"!!! Are you kidding!!! Just a little??? You must be really good as I have to put a lot of effort into going fast. I do ALL the work on my cars including dropping transmissions, rear ends, pulling/rebuilding engines, alignments, tuning, and I even change my own tires (as in remove tire from rim/install new tire). With the exception of the engine, I've already done all of the above this year. But for a real challenge, try amputating your right hand (left if you're left handed), have it reattached (minus a few original parts, plus a few artificial parts and some rearranged parts), go through years of multiple surgeries and therapy and still do all of the above and race through the pain of permanent nerve damage and scar tissue. Then you'll be walking in my shoes as I did that in March 2000...circular saws are not forgiving of mistakes.

Sorry for the rant, while your whole post was rude, your "little effort" comment got to me...I'm very thankful to still have my hand, but you have no idea how much extra effort is required from me to enjoy this hobby we all love so much. I'm also well aware of how quickly it can end, please try to keep this in perspective before making another post like above. It's easy to be an internet tough guy/keyboard bully, it's more fun to enjoy life. If you want to see real effort, go to a hand therapy place (or any physical therapy place) and watch as people struggle to regain a fraction what we take for granted every day.

I was simply trying to gather a list of shocks available out there in case there's something I haven't heard of and then I'll do the leg work to figure out what's best for ME! I wasn't looking to see the "hot" setup everybody is running or the "secret" magical shock. The revalved nonadjustable Bilsteins from VB&P info in the post above is what I was looking for and is what I'll go with. It's a three week down time (not 10 days) to have my shocks revalved/rebuilt (I already know that as I've already researched it) and I don't have a three week time frame where I'm not racing for a while. I've been racing for 25 years so this isn't my first rodeo. It's clear you didn't "get" what I was looking for, obviously I didn't do a good job of communicating and I'll take the hit for that, my apologies.
It's all about how you look at it. There was recently a news story about a guy with no arms and one leg stealing cars. I imagine he'd probally look at you building a race car and say "Looks like that takes a little effort"
Old 05-14-2007, 03:05 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RAFTeRACER
It's all about how you look at it. There was recently a news story about a guy with no arms and one leg stealing cars. I imagine he'd probally look at you building a race car and say "Looks like that takes a little effort"
I doubt it. More likely he'd be saying "Wow, that looks like a lot of effort, why don't you just go steal one". You're right, it's all a matter of perspective, but I can guarantee you this guy would never think of trying to do anything for himself. I saw the same article and that wasn't the first time for him running from cops/stealing cars by far. I'd prefer not to be associated with this low life that has made a choice to be leach to society...I've chosen to have a positive impact on our society.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 shock recommendations

Quick Reply: C4 shock recommendations