Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosiers or Race Slicks

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:32 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hoosiers or Race Slicks

Hoosiers are a great tire but how much do they leave on the table compared to a full race slick. Goodyears or Yokahama. How many seconds on a technical track?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:40 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The softer the tire, the more the grip. Good Year G19s come in 3 differnt compounds.

Hoosiers also come in three differnt compounds, "A" are the softest, "R" and the "VRL" or "Grand AM" series tires are the hardest.

Yokohomas I do not know about.

Softer the tire the more grip, the more potential speed, the quicker they are used up. One to three heat cycles and the soft compount tire is history, if even that long. In most cases One or Two heat cycles, the the soft tire is shot.

SO there are pluses and minus to soft rubber tires.

On a fast tecnical track like VIR NEW Good Year G19s intermetate compounds vs Hoosier Rs ( new) 3 to 5 secs a lap faster.

Now G19s @$2,000 per set to be used ONCE vs Hoosier Rs @$1400 a set and used two or three times for max grip and then severl more heat cycles at good grip.

It also depends on you budget.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-18-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:10 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

VIR with a Viper Comp Coupe in SWGT trim. New shaven Toyo RA1s 2:02 laps, Hoosier As 1:58 per lap. Same car, same driver, same day, differnt times of the day. Tires were corded afer each of their sessions from hard use.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:59 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Thanks for that info. Really helps. 3-5 seconds is a ton. I certainly don't have 2k to spend on a weekend though. Right now I'm running the discontinued AS305s.

How many seconds do you think coilovers would be worth? Right now I have hotchkis sways, bilstein sport shocks(waste of $$$) and stock springs.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:45 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
How many seconds do you think coilovers would be worth? Right now I have hotchkis sways, bilstein sport shocks(waste of $$$) and stock springs.
waist of money. Just drive. the more seat time you can get the better your lap times. YES parts and mods are sexy, but seat time is invaluable.

Hoosier As do a have a limited life too.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:56 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I bought discontinued Hoosier AS305s. they lasted 12 hot laps at Grattan up front ( I peeled back 3 inches all the way around and the steel belts were showing) I replaced them with A6s I have about 25-30 heat cycles and still no cords.

The AS305s were fine in the back, FYI that is with the most amount of negative camber the car will take just under 2 degrees.

Nitto NT-01s are about 2 seconds slower but last for ever, I have about 50 heat cycles on them and they last forever.

Damn I need new tires
Old 07-18-2007, 08:02 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
waist of money. Just drive. the more seat time you can get the better your lap times. YES parts and mods are sexy, but seat time is invaluable.

Hoosier As do a have a limited life too.
Yeah I know you're right. I did a lead follow with an instructor who was lapping faster. I stuck with him and was able to pass. Felt pretty good until after he said I probably left 3 seconds on the table. I got a better lap time later in the session when he wasn't around but I'm still leaving at least 2 seconds. Not using the whole track in the esses and not apexing late enough in 10. Infineon is a tough track so I'll hold off and get practice. I can only get so much track time though and I can think about mods all the time. I'll just work on cooling for now. Maybe the new Wilwood front brakes will help me.

Thanks for your responses about the tires. Maybe once a year I'll pop for the Yoks. About $1200 in my sizes.

I have 2 weekends 12 sessions on my current As. Probably flip them and get two more weekends. I don't run enough camber but I can't afford to ruin my street tires, been there done that. Then use my reserve set.

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosiers or Race Slicks

Quick Reply: Hoosiers or Race Slicks