Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone run Koni FSD shocks on track?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Has anyone run Koni FSD shocks on track?

I'm thinking about getting somoe to compensate for the VB&P poly bushings I have. The roads arond here suck and my car really lets me know now. I have had bilstien sports in since early '05 and they have about 37k on them now.

The FSD is supposedly a new idea in shock valving and gives you nice ride at low speeds but great handling when pushed. It seems to change the damper force in a linear rate to the pressure appied. So the harder you work the shock the firmer it gets. It's all mechanical.

They get rave reveiws, but only in C5 Gen where the waxers and canyon carvers use them.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Never tried them myself so I hope someone who has done that will reply. I asked at TireRack how these would be as an autocross shock and was told they were a small improvement over the stock shocks.

Having some limited experience with shock tuning, I'm not so sure that the FSD description is just marketing hype. All shocks have different tuning for high and low speed operation (speed being the speed that the shock is compressed or extended, not the vehicle speed).
Old 09-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Thanks TTT... a local buddy of mine has them and he said they work. Rides like a caddy in his Z-51 coupe when he's just cruising, but feels better than stock when throwing it in the turns. However, a few turns on the street is not the track.

My car is great on track, but it's getting annoying to drive on the street other than to the local car hangouts and back.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:39 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can relate. I have Bilstein sports on my Z-51 86 and they are WAY too stiff.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

My car has VB&P polys in it now... that's what did it, it was fine before. Car is a monster on track, but is a bumpy bitch around town.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:57 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

What springs are you running? Looking at doing some suspension upgrades this winter and just looking at ideas.
Thanks
Tim
Old 09-17-2007, 07:32 PM
jpasterjak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the FSDs in autocross and track events and love them. We had to run a non-adjustable shock to stay in NCCC group 1, so we went with the FSDs after having good luck with them on our Mini project. Honestly, I'd have a hard time giving them up, even for double adjustables. They just work so well for my driving style in so many situations, and the fact that they aren't adjustable is one less way to screw up the car.

Remember, shocks are a very personal thing. Different shocks lend themselves to different driving styles and approaches. I happen to be a guy who tend to excel with Konis. Something about their digressive valving just suits my style. You might want to mooch a few rides before cracking your wallet.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Old 09-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Thanks I have stock Z06 springs, stock bars w/ poly bushings and aluminum endlinks, and full VB&P poly bushings.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:10 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jpasterjak
I run the FSDs in autocross and track events and love them. We had to run a non-adjustable shock to stay in NCCC group 1, so we went with the FSDs after having good luck with them on our Mini project. Honestly, I'd have a hard time giving them up, even for double adjustables. They just work so well for my driving style in so many situations, and the fact that they aren't adjustable is one less way to screw up the car.

Remember, shocks are a very personal thing. Different shocks lend themselves to different driving styles and approaches. I happen to be a guy who tend to excel with Konis. Something about their digressive valving just suits my style. You might want to mooch a few rides before cracking your wallet.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
FSD'S ROCK !
Old 09-18-2007, 10:37 AM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not driven the FSDs to compare but my Koni 3013s ride extremely gentle on the street. They can be turned up to whatever extreme rebound setting you prefer. For me I'm in the middle of the adjustment range most of the time since the T1 sway bars and the girlfriend still prefers it to the stock 01 Z06 shocks it came with. This largely due to the fact it has much less (high-speed) compression damping.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone run Koni FSD shocks on track?

Quick Reply: Has anyone run Koni FSD shocks on track?