Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2008 Z06--Propane-Like Smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:32 PM
alfordvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2008 Z06--Propane-Like Smell

Traded my 2006 Z06 for 2008 Z06 last week. Currently, I have put 400 miles on the 2008 (no mods). When I stop at traffic lights or stop signs, I smell propane or natural gas. At first, I did not think anything of it because there is a lot of contruction in my area; I am now concerned because of safety (my 2 year old son loves to ride with me and I will at Road Atlanta in less than a week at a HPDE). I did not have anything similar happen during the during break-in of the 2006 or at any other time--it had 7,000 miles on it at trade-in.

If anyone has had a similar situation, please let me know. For example, was there a problem and what was the solution? Is this a typical situation arising during break-in and will go away so there is nothing to worry about? I may take the car by the Dealer and ask them (when it stops raining here in Atlanta--its really raining here--Thank God!). I have to go by the Dealership anyway to have the Service Director complete the Tech Form for the HPDE. Any incite will be helpful. I have found in the past that providing the Dealership information from Forum members has a tremendous positive impact on handling the issue efficiently and effectively.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:38 PM
alfordvette
Intermediate

Default Transferred to C6 Z06 Section

Sorry, I posted to wrong forum.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:13 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Smell of new plastic
Old 10-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Smell of new plastic
Check the exhaust flange right under the shifter position.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:01 PM
H82GOSLW
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

You actually have the Service Director at the dealership sign your tech form for an HPDE? Don't you think he might question any type of service that you'll want covered under warranty if the need arises in the future?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:01 PM
anotherone
Pro

Originally Posted by H82GOSLW
You actually have the Service Director at the dealership sign your tech form for an HPDE? Don't you think he might question any type of service that you'll want covered under warranty if the need arises in the future?
no! Idiot engineer tried that in my lemon law case and GM's advertising and owners manual blew him out of the water. Service mgr said thats what car was made for! Service mgr was there 100%.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:24 AM
01C5fan
Racer

Should be quite a few posts on this in the Z06 section. Mine smelled for 5k miles which seems to be the upper end of what most have experienced.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 AM
alfordvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by H82GOSLW
You make a very good point, however, under the circumstances I am not concerned. I know the Service Director and the Owner of the Dealership very well. They are aware that I go to HPDEs about 4 times each year. They also know that I take good care of my vehicles and do not abuse them. The Service Director or, in his absence, a Service Advisor, have signed off on the Tech forms in the past without issue. I have had some warranty work performed on three of the vettes I have had the pleasure to drive at HPDEs without issue. In fact, the Dealership always takes all actions necessary to expedite the repair work and gives me a Tahoe or Suburban to drive--the repairs typically take a day or less. I have purchased 15 vehicles from them in the past seven or so years, including three vettes (2005 C6 Z51, 2006 Z06 and 2008 Z06). I have found everyone at this Dealership to be honest and, believe me, I watch and listen very closely for any inconsistent statement or BS; they know I would not tolerate such conduct and would take my business elsewhere--one of the great benefits of capitalism.

Thanks for all the replies! Based on responses I received in the C6 Z06 section, the smell is present in some Chevrolet vehicles (not limited to vettes), but not all, and will go away in two to six months depending on the mileage driven during that time. I was concerned because the smell was not the typical new car smell that I really like (especially the smell of new leather) but a smell different from any I have smelled in other vehicles I have owned and own. My primary concern was a leak in the fuel system that could result in a fire. In any case, I plan on taking the 2008 Z06 to the Dealership tomorrow to get the Tech form completed (if it stops raining) and will ask them about the smell. I will post their response if it is different from what has already been posted.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:23 PM
anotherone
Pro

to me its almost like antifreeze

Get notified of new replies

To New 2008 Z06--Propane-Like Smell

Quick Reply: New 2008 Z06--Propane-Like Smell