Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FI, Road Racing, and the ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:47 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default FI, Road Racing, and the ZR-1

I've wanted to go back to FI but everyone tells me, and I concur, FI has no real place on a road course with an C5 due to cooling issues.

For the way the ZR-1 is being sold as a supercar with a SC...so how is it going to hold up to long sessions on a road course?

The Ford GT has a SC but the car was designed around the engine and there is a ton of room in the back of one of those for cooling.

The ZR-1 motor is being stuffed in a C5/C6 engine bay.

Bad news...it doesn't work and there are overheating problems.

Good news...it works and there will be some solutions for those looking for FI and HPDE's/road racing.

Or split the difference...its going to be a good road car as it sits, change one little thing and introduce all kinds of problems.

Won't be long till we find out.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:59 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Heat is always an issue. Get rid of the heat and giddy up.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:58 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

my personal opinion is that it will be a novelty car, much like lambos and such, and will rarely see much track time. I doubt it will be adopted by any racing teams because of the FI.

But I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, or any time recently.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:07 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

FI not only CAN work at a track, when done right it can DOMINATE

It's all engineering

I'm currently doing a blower upgrade on mine.
I can hardly wait!
Old 12-31-2007, 08:10 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
I've wanted to go back to FI but everyone tells me, and I concur, FI has no real place on a road course with an C5 due to cooling issues. ..............
You certainly never polled me on that question. I've been running a FI (turbo) system for years. Constant boost gives a buncha low end torque coming out of the corners, and good top end power. (I hate to admit it, but my 355 is as fast as my big block.) I dumped the stock radiator for a decent performance unit, and along with the oil cooler and a decent front spoiler, it stays at a decent temp during track sessions. Horsepower means heat. Ya just gotta be intelligent about dealing with it.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it will be meeting the usual design parameters GM sets so it shouldn'r be any worse than any previous C5's or C6's which are stock on track.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:40 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

The Motortrend I just got with the ZR1 on the cover says they're in the process (I guess at article-writing time) of putting it through GM's "motorsports torture test" including 250 autocrosses and a 24-hour endurance test.

Seems like too much HP for me though - not many non-race cars can put 620+ hp to the ground effectively. Maybe on race rubber (345's?) it'll be better, but that's still a lot of HP for a front heavy (52/48) street car, IMHO.

All that said, DAMN it's purdy!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:13 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 69427
You certainly never polled me on that question. I've been running a FI (turbo) system for years. Constant boost gives a buncha low end torque coming out of the corners, and good top end power. (I hate to admit it, but my 355 is as fast as my big block.) I dumped the stock radiator for a decent performance unit, and along with the oil cooler and a decent front spoiler, it stays at a decent temp during track sessions. Horsepower means heat. Ya just gotta be intelligent about dealing with it.
Any pics of your setup?

I've love to see it.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:53 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I was really hoping to hear more opinions on this subject...
Old 01-03-2008, 11:59 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every home brew blown car I've seen at the track has had issues. Turbochargers seem to have better luck, but they still have heat issues.

There is one guy that I've seen with a twin turbo C5 setup that worked well, but it was VERY well done and the engine set up was expensive. The car ended up burning in the trailer, and he's now gone with a NA LS7.

I think that it's the nature of the beast: FI is seductive. Bolt on horsepower that works in combination with your headers and so forth. It's just not that simple. The engine has to be designed with FI in mind, and even then there can be issues.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:08 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I don't know much about the ZR-1, but doesn't it have some new radical design Eaton supercharger? Maybe low heat was one of the benefits of the radical design? It also has a large intercooler and low compression motor.

Also, I have been doing research into choosing a future track car a year down the road and looked at the Lotus. They come with Superchargers factory stock and lots of folks are adding them on without any problem at the track. I talk to guys on the Lotus forum who do 20 track days a year with a supercharged Elise and no problems. So, who knows, only one way to find out...
Old 01-03-2008, 02:22 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

yeah but 320 supercharged HP in an Elise is a LOT less heat rejection than a 600hp SC HP.

We ran a turbo on our Miata, 320hp and no problems but the turbo sat up by itself, wasn't tucked away where it could melt things.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Any pics of your setup?

I've love to see it.
I've been running this setup for about fifteen years. Started with autocrosses while I got things roughed in, and then it's had a couple thousand track day miles put on it since. Tore up the Doug Trash 4+3, so I'm running a Richmond six speed now. The engine is an 8:1 355 four bolt main with Brodix heads. (It's also painted the correct color for a Chevy engine in a Corvette! ) The fueling is handled by a boost referenced TBI off a 454 truck (2 inch throttle blades). The exhaust system is 3 1/2 inch 304 stainless, all mandrel bends. A few items are due for an upgrade, as I'm using the stock '84 ecm (re-cal'd) and the turbo is at its efficiency limit I believe. It's non-intercooled, but I used to run 30% 115 octane ethanol aviation fuel in it to cool the intake mixture. (I cal'd the BPW to be rich at WOT to use that combination.) The Dewitt radiator was a significant improvement, as I couldn't band-aid the stock radiator enough to get the job done. I also plumbed in an Accusump after losing oil pressure in a couple of autocrosses early on. No problems after that. I still have several instrumentation wiring harnesses (WBO2, EGT, ESC, pressure guages) on the engine while I've been tweaking the fuel and spark tables. (The car has been on the update backburner the last few years while I've been putting a C4 suspension on the spare frame for my '69.) It isn't the highest tech Corvette around anymore, but there weren't many examples to look at when I built this in 1992.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:02 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Thats a nice setup but not to poop all over your parade that is a lot different than a current C5.

I guess I should be more clear myself in my statements I was talking about C5/C6.

Doesn't look like you have AC, thats a biggie, no condenser blocking the rad. Your turbo sits up and out of the way, not an option on the C5.

Yours works for obvious reasons but that setup you have cannot be duplicated in a C5/C6, plus the 115 octane to act as your IC doesn't hurt either. If you add a IC in the C5 your losing more cooling ability.

Again I should be more clear. I'm talking about a DD TT car in the 550rwhp range that I can drive to the track, run all day, and drive home with the AC on at 27mpg. A more purpose built car with no AC, runs on 115 octane, etc is a lot easier to do than a true DD.

I'm just interested to see how Chevy is going to manage the heat and other things that will come along with the ZR1. My buddies Cobra after a lap or two you can cook on the top of the intake.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

I've heard only two things about the LS9 that might make a difference:
1) The intercooler and intake are the same. Integrated.
2) The rotors on the blower are four lobed, rather than two.

Your goals are lofty, but that's a good thing. Heck, I'd love such a car too.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by NoOne
Thats a nice setup but not to poop all over your parade that is a lot different than a current C5. No disagreement there. I (and Brian) was merely disagreeing with your blanket statement that FI is not a viable option for a hi-perf vehicle.
I guess I should be more clear myself in my statements I was talking about C5/C6. I understand that. But intelligent engineering can work in any vehicle.
Doesn't look like you have AC, thats a biggie, no condenser blocking the rad. Your turbo sits up and out of the way, not an option on the C5. The A/C didn't work when I bought the car. I've owned my '69 (no A/C) for 35 years and did fine without A/C, so I just decided to do without it (and the weight) on the '84 also.

Yours works for obvious reasons but that setup you have cannot be duplicated in a C5/C6, plus the 115 octane to act as your IC doesn't hurt either. If you add a IC in the C5 your losing more cooling ability.

Again I should be more clear. I'm talking about a DD TT car in the 550rwhp range that I can drive to the track, run all day, and drive home with the AC on at 27mpg. A more purpose built car with no AC, runs on 115 octane, etc is a lot easier to do than a true DD. My car will run on 87 octane (8:1 CR). It has an overdrive 6 speed and 3.07 gears. Good highway fuel mileage is not a problem. It's a licensed street vehicle with full interior, including Bose radio. It just happens to be faster than most Corvettes.
I'm just interested to see how Chevy is going to manage the heat and other things that will come along with the ZR1. My buddies Cobra after a lap or two you can cook on the top of the intake.
I've run against (kit car) Cobras before. They can run quite well. But, there's nothing under the hood other than engine most of the time. Why can't your buddy put some decent coolers in that thing? Shelby could make them fast and durable. What's your friend's explanation for not being able to do the same thing forty years later?
Old 01-03-2008, 06:28 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Sorry when I said Cobra I meant Mustang Cobra, the SC'd factory cars from 03-04.

Applied engineering and $'s are two different things.

Your at 9-10K to build a reliable 4-5 a summer track car engine at 450rwhp-500rwhp with torque to match like a 402-416 stroker.

Your at 9-10K to build a reliable 550rwhp street car w/ turbo's.

Now to get that 550rwhp turbo car to be reliable at the track day level without overheating is the trick.

APS's kit does better with cooling since the intercoolers do not block the rad...instead they block the brake ducts, just as bad.

TTi's kit doesn't block the brake ducts...it blocks the radiator...again just as bad.

Your turbo is up top easy to manage heat even after long sessions. Turbo's tucked underneath where they make the bellhousing nice and toasty(and the C5's great hydraulic clutch setup) along with the oil pan in a car that is designed to have even under car airflow makes it difficult to manage the heat.

Putting that condenser in front of the radiator really hurts a cars ability to cool so not having AC, if your used to it or not, is a huge benefit.

At some point in time its just easier to put a Warhawk or something else in there for NA power.

Then again thats unlimited budget and time. For those of us with a budget, and a limited one at that the developements that GM has come up with to make the ZR-1 track worthy and FI will be good and cheap info for those of us without the big dollar budgets and that really was the overall point of the post.

Get notified of new replies

To FI, Road Racing, and the ZR-1

Old 01-03-2008, 07:03 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Well said NoOne

We seem to have a FI thread on this board every month.
They all seem to have the same info, a bunch of guys say it won't work and a few guys disagree.

The big reason FI isn't seen much at the track is because it's not cost effective. To build a LSx motor that could handle track duty would start with buiding up a short block that has forged internals, then drop the compression, then add cooling (which for a track car is kind of a push since you should do the bigger radiator with oil cooler on both cars) then you add the price of the blower. Now instead of shelling out the $10k on a well built 4XX ci LS you have closer to $15k to $20k. Even the Lingenfelter cars I have seen at the track have had heat issues. If you go FI it's going to cost more than N/A. And with some of the new pieces coming out of GM these days (on both sides of this fence) it may take a little time to figure out which ways is best.

Also power levels for both options are going to be pretty similar (in RR trim) obviously you can crank the boost and put down some crazy 700 to 800 rwhp. But to last at the track the FI car will be under 600 rwhp.

I think the ZR1 will work just fine at the track, it has a more efficient supercharger (as stated before it's a 4 vein rotor design), they have oil squirters to cool the pistons and increased oil capacity from 8 to 10 quarts, they have 2 intercoolers integrated into the intake, and they started with a 6.2 liter instead of the 7.0 liter.

All in all I think that Vettes should be N/A, until the ZR1 (with the exception of the Callaways) all Vettes have been N/A. They show how well a front engine, rear wheel drive car with big cubes and lots of torque works well and stands the test of time and is a hard combo to beat.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:25 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

I've never driven a big cube LS1 except a first year 383 and the first year LS1 stuff was pretty poor.

I've had 2 Ls1 head/cam cars and a twin turbo car. Just like a turbo car. I enjoy driving it but I enjoy tracking the car.

So it would be nice to be able to do both, again the point of this post, what GM is going to do to make it live.

Oil squirters are a big thing. The Miata has them and really helped with FI. Of course it also helped that the Miata 1.8 came out of a FWD Turbo car in Japan...they just bumped the compression and took off the turbo.

I wonder if the ZR-1 oil squirt system can be retrofitted.

The maggies seem to do ok but I'm looking for more than 450rwhp for the street. It'll be interesting to see the price of the SC at the dealer once the car is out.

The KB seems decent but the hood kills it for me.

With a turbo I can turn it down to 450rwhp for the track and 550 for the street. I drove a 600rwhp car everyday for over a year and its more than streetable.

Another part of this post was if we can adopt what GM has done the millions they spent making this work is going to produce a lot more than me doing it on my own
Old 01-03-2008, 07:43 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 69427
I've been running this setup for about fifteen years. ...
Thanks for sharing

BTW Weeee!!!!!!

Originally Posted by 03QuicksilverZ06
I wonder what will stop the zr1 from doing this

Jan Magnussen stated after taking air at flugplatz: Iīm going 240-250 km/h at full throttle in 4th gear and the car is actually jumping twice: After the first jump it lands so hard that it takes off again, as you can see in the second picture. As it lands the second time I have to take a sharp right immediately after.
The car is a standard car with street setup - had it been my racer it would hardly have left the tarmac. At NBR the street car reaches 295 km/h on the long straight in 5th gear (6th gear is an overgear for saving gasoline). At NBR there are no run-off areas like other tracks,. You simply have to stay on the track. When you are halfway around the 20 km, you think itīs a good thing there are only half as many places left you risk running off the track" Jan says.

Then he says: couldnīt have driven one single lap more. I wouldnīt have liked to drive a single meter (3 feet) more with myself at the wheel at that speed", Jan finishes.

I wonder if he will be driving the zr1

Quick Reply: FI, Road Racing, and the ZR-1