Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why criss-cross the straps

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:49 PM
jabrun
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Why criss-cross the straps

After doing a lot of searches on securing a C5 on a trailer the general consensus is that you should use T-hooks in the shipping slots of the frame and criss-cross the straps. What is the advantage to criss-crossing the straps? Since I work road construction I've seen a lot of heavy equipment chained to trailers and hauled some myself and hardly anybody criss-crosses the tie downs. I also went to a site where they were showing how to secure an M1 Abrams tank on a railcar and they didn't criss-cross the chains either.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:02 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't criss-cross how do you keep the car from hopping side-to-side? I suspect most of the times you're seeing people not criss-cross you'll find people using chains and/or cables rather than fabric straps?
Old 01-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

No need to criss cross. Although most people don't realize it criss crossing the straps allows more vertical movement. The criss crossed straps work just like spring lines on a docked boat. They use spring lines so you can tightly tie your boat to the dock and it will rise and fall with water level without moving forward or backward.

If anything it probably is worse to criss cross than not to as encouraging vertical movement isn't something desirable when running over rough roads with your trailer.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-20-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:24 PM
jabrun
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I see what you're saying, like if the straps are running to the anchor point on the trailer almost vertical. Then how about if I'm running to stake pockets on the sides more horizontal that should still keep the car from moving side to side correct?
Old 01-20-2008, 05:32 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I think one reason to criss cross the straps is so the straps dont rub or bend around the tire
Old 01-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't do anything OTHER than criss cross, and I used some really cool straps that go thru the rims and wrap around the rim/tire. I've had zero movement on my car strapping it like this and I have NOT pulled the alignment out...Further, I have blocks marked on the floor of the car trailer to show where to park the car in the trailer, and I cross front and rear straps. I have seen zero movement...

Mike
Old 01-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I criss cross the straps and get no verticle, lateral, or fore and aft movement. I have hauled heavy epuipment and crossed the chains. It does add stability. You have to have the straps tight enough and the vehicle will not move. If you do not cross the straps ans one breaks, or loosens, you will probably have lateral movement. It is a safety thing.

Bob
Old 01-20-2008, 06:09 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there suposed to lift and seperate.. i like the ones with the clasp on the front it makes it eisier to remove when shes on her back.........
wait a minute thats somthing different....
Old 01-20-2008, 07:01 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I've always criss-crossed my straps. Seems to me that would provide stability against the car moving sideways on the trailer as it bounces around, while still providing forward and aft stability. I also think it keeps my straps from rubbing on the trailer.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 01-20-2008, 07:14 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

this is something that I ponder every time I load my car on the trailer. I criss-cross the front two straps, but the rear strap, I pull straight back in a Y connection. One point to the trailer and two points on the rear T hook slots.

I have actually seen a trailered vette and tow vehicle sideways in a ditch, with the straps criss-crossed, and the vette was very much in the original intended contact with the trailer, EVEN SIDEWAYS!! I couldn't believe it.

Conceptually, I think criss crossing would allow vertical movement, but it does seem to secure the vehicle very well. My Y in the back and crossed in the front configuration seems to work well too. I have yet to figure out a downside other than 1 less total strap used... which does lower the overall safety factor of the load a little.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:19 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I cross the back straps after loading my car. The front straps are about 6 feet long and would rub against the frame/suspension if I crossed them.

The back straps are crossed mostly to keep the rear of the car from moving sideways. The way the car sits on my trailer also makes it easy to cross the rear straps.

I get the rear straps snug and then use the front straps to pull the car forward against the wheel blocks which also tightens the rear straps. Once eveything is tight, I set the e-brake but leave the shifter in neutral.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:35 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Cross on the trailer i have is cause of the positioning of the tie down points on the trailer. it helps keep the straps from rubbinon the tires and such granted i wonder some about the wear in the cross area. it take a bit longer straps but the car dosen't seem to move.

I have tied straight off also but i have crossed the front or the back and then straight the other just to help with the side to side movement. At one time i just tied down the cars and left the suspension loose and well at times i wondered if that wasn't better cause then the suspension of the car you was hauling would take some of the shock of the road. the down side if you got side to side movement and the car on the trailer rocked it made for intersting ride at times
Old 01-20-2008, 11:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

straps criss cross prevent lateral movement. NO strap is going to prevent vertical movement in any thing close to a horizontal position.
An Abrams tanks is totally different than a car at 60-70 tons with a torsion bar suspension and huge tracks.. Most people with experience loading heavy equipment with rubber tires cross them.
Spring lines on a boat keep it from moving fore and aft. If you car bounced up a foot it doesn't matter if it lands back where it started. Go on a bumpy corner and you may have sideways movement and lose it. I have seen heavy equipment shift not crossed. Track machines are less likely to shift. Boats are tied criss crossed to prevent lateral movement. I have many many miles transporting Lulls Rough Terrain forklifts up to 30,000 pounds with chains and they can move slightly. If they were on straight and not crossed I be in jail for killing someone long ago. I also beleive DOT may require X on equipment. I know you need four point chains not one looped around like I see many do on equipment.

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-20-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Cris-cross front and rear with both cars. The vette is very easy to do w/ the T-hooks in the frame holes. On the Panoz I have axle straps that I loop through frame points front and rear.

Get notified of new replies

To Why criss-cross the straps

Quick Reply: Why criss-cross the straps