Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motive Brake Bleeder

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:44 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Motive Brake Bleeder

Figured I would post this question here as more Road racing guys bleed their brakes than others

I want to purchase the Motive Unit but am torn between the universal cap model and the model specifically for our corvette master.

I have 3 types of cars at the House .. BMW / Chevy / Ford and would get much more use out of the universal cap one ... but 4 out of 5 uses would be on the corvette. Just wondering if the Universal cap one is a Pain in the Axx to use an generally not worth it ... Or if it is simple and works just fine...
Old 01-31-2008, 08:55 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would buy different caps for each or do the ones that you do infrequently by pedal pumping with a friend or throw speed bleeders on them.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:15 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would either get the different caps or get a set of Speed Bleeders for the other cars. Makes the job easier and you would not have to get the other caps.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:53 AM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the universal kit and ordered a cap for the vette and a couple of other cars.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:50 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the unit with the cap for my Vette, my other 3 cars will only get done maximum once every year or so.....I use it on the Vette 8 - 12 times per season.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:08 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Default :)

Thanks... Looks like i should just get the special cap for the Corvette... may be the best choice....
Old 01-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Thanks... Looks like i should just get the special cap for the Corvette... may be the best choice....
Definetly! My garage also has Vettes, a BMW, and a Ford too and I bought the Vette cap and the universal. It's a great tool, you're going to enjoy it. I assume you already know not to fill it with brake fluid, just fill and top off the reservoir on the car and use the tool for pressure only.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:37 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Paul

Get the cap for GM cars.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

you'll LOVE pressure bleeding.. I use a KentMoore cap with Nitrogen (leftover from my serious racing days), and it makes life soooooooooooo much easier.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:35 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
Definetly! My garage also has Vettes, a BMW, and a Ford too and I bought the Vette cap and the universal. It's a great tool, you're going to enjoy it. I assume you already know not to fill it with brake fluid, just fill and top off the reservoir on the car and use the tool for pressure only.
I've read this before. If that's the case, why buy the Motive when a cap with fitting could work with an air compressor?

I was thinking I could get a cap, add a tire valve and use a pressure valve/gauge off my paint gun to keep it at 20-25#s. Would this work?

For that matter, I probably could even pressurize the reservoir with my 1.5 gal. water bottle used to cool tires.

--Dan
Old 01-31-2008, 03:44 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Default yup

Yes Tom brought one over to my house... sold me on the whole setup and showed me the tricks
Old 01-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dbratten
I've read this before. If that's the case, why buy the Motive when a cap with fitting could work with an air compressor?

I was thinking I could get a cap, add a tire valve and use a pressure valve/gauge off my paint gun to keep it at 20-25#s. Would this work?

For that matter, I probably could even pressurize the reservoir with my 1.5 gal. water bottle used to cool tires.

--Dan
I think you're probably right, it ought to work, but I'd keep the pressure down to about 17 or 18 lbs.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:47 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I think you're probably right, it ought to work, but I'd keep the pressure down to about 17 or 18 lbs.

I get good bleeding with 12 to 15 psi, and that's pushing the fluid through speed bleeders to boot.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:27 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BEZ06

I get good bleeding with 12 to 15 psi, and that's pushing the fluid through speed bleeders to boot.
Thank you, both.

--Dan
Old 02-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbratten

--Dan
I wouldn't use the compressor, your tank has water and/or humidity in it. The bleeders hooked to air compressors in auto shops have a bladder between the compressed air and the brake fluid.

Yes, you can use your water bottle but, it would have to be dry. Just go to Home Depot and get another, $13.
We use one on the formula cars all the time with the correct master cylinder cap. It's only used for bleeding and the inside is checked for moisture before using (temperature changes like a cold nite and sunny day can put moisture in the tank).
15 pumps on ours is sufficient to bleed 2 calipers, probably not over 12 psi. We bleed calipers every race weekend.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:48 PM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Just don't tell anyone you have it. I have people at work asking to borrow it and now the daughters boyfriend is asking all the time to use it.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:33 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Hetzel
I wouldn't use the compressor, your tank has water and/or humidity in it. The bleeders hooked to air compressors in auto shops have a bladder between the compressed air and the brake fluid.

Yes, you can use your water bottle but, it would have to be dry. Just go to Home Depot and get another, $13.
We use one on the formula cars all the time with the correct master cylinder cap. It's only used for bleeding and the inside is checked for moisture before using (temperature changes like a cold nite and sunny day can put moisture in the tank).
15 pumps on ours is sufficient to bleed 2 calipers, probably not over 12 psi. We bleed calipers every race weekend.
Oops! Overlooked that "humidity" thing. Thanks for the great advice.

--Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Motive Brake Bleeder

Old 02-01-2008, 09:07 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

What is the best pressure to put on my stock C6 Z06 with the Motive Brake Bleeder? I would think the more pressure I can use the better and quicker but how much is too much?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Is there any real advantage to using this tool over just the standard pedal pressure bleed?

I understand it would allow you to do it on your own and that would be nice.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:59 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

That is the big one, you can do the bleeding yourself.

I still pump the brake peddle too assure that it is firm.

Quick Reply: Motive Brake Bleeder