Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more alignment questions, not enough camber in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:39 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default more alignment questions, not enough camber in the rear

ok, i just got a call from the shop and they said they cannot get anymore than -1.1 in the rear of the car. The car is fairly low (i dont know the exact height) but as far as an alignment goes, would there be anything preventing me from getting -1.7? Would i need to add anything (like camber bolts of some sort?) to get that?

I honestly have no idea if they added/removed anything to the suspension of the car other than it having t1 sways, t1 springs and penske shocks.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:59 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is lowered about 1" on stock bolts.
All my shop could get was -1.1 degrees on the rear and -2.2 degrees on the front.
I don't know if lowering it makes a difference or not.

I've thought about getting a camber kit mostly to do away with the eccentric bolts. I guess they would also give me some more camber.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:15 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question I have is one of the two rear sides a limiting factor ???? Typically on most C5's and C6's one side, primarily the left is the limiting side as far as camber is concerned. I have shifted my subframe to the left in mine and many others cars to achieve symetrical alignment settings between left and right.

The easiest way to tell is if one of your rear alignment eccentrics is more rotated than the other.....

I dont have any problem achieving -1.5 per side...not too sure why you would want to run more than that.....I dont even run -1.5 in my car.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:17 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SS Racing
Mine is lowered about 1" on stock bolts.
All my shop could get was -1.1 degrees on the rear and -2.2 degrees on the front.
I don't know if lowering it makes a difference or not.

I've thought about getting a camber kit mostly to do away with the eccentric bolts. I guess they would also give me some more camber.
i have a feeling I'll be making a call to pfadt and getting their kit... but does that kit (or the hardbar one) even mess with the rear bolts?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:30 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

you can get about 1/4 deg more camber in the rear if you get the GM camber plates back there. I agree with Raftracer than many cars have the subframe sitting off-center, and this gives on side of the car more camber potential than the other.

Also, -1.1 in the rear isn't bad. I like -1.5, but -1.1 is fine in back.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:49 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
you can get about 1/4 deg more camber in the rear if you get the GM camber plates back there. I agree with Raftracer than many cars have the subframe sitting off-center, and this gives on side of the car more camber potential than the other.

Also, -1.1 in the rear isn't bad. I like -1.5, but -1.1 is fine in back.
Does GM have these camber plates. Never heard of them, are they like DRMS camber plates?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:36 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
ok, i just got a call from the shop and they said they cannot get anymore than -1.1 in the rear of the car. The car is fairly low (i dont know the exact height) but as far as an alignment goes, would there be anything preventing me from getting -1.7? Would i need to add anything (like camber bolts of some sort?) to get that?

I honestly have no idea if they added/removed anything to the suspension of the car other than it having t1 sways, t1 springs and penske shocks.
Ok if you have T1 springs and penske shocks you need to RAISE your car UP to no lower then 1" below stock ride height.
Plus camber concentric helps too.

Too low is not a good thing
Old 02-07-2008, 06:42 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Ok if you have T1 springs and penske shocks you need to RAISE your car UP to no lower then 1" below stock ride height.
Plus camber concentric helps too.

Too low is not a good thing
right now i need the car ready for this weekend, but after i think a camber kit is on order, as well as some quality time with the suspension.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:09 PM
0JoshS
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Our camber plates will help you get more camber in the rear. Our camber plates allow you to get almost -2.0 degrees of camber in the rear and over -3.0 degrees in the front. So this is a great solution for those that are looking for more camber. This also elevates the problem of the stock eccentric bolt slipping, so no more ruined tires! You just need to remember that the more camber you put into the car the more you will sacrifice longitudinal acceleration namely, braking and throttle application. There is a alignment guide that we provide and it can be found here

The best tool you can have for determining the best camber setting for your particular setup is a tire temp gauge. Everyone is going to have a different ideal alignment depending on your combination of driving style, track surface, suspension settings, tires, etc, etc, etc... Stay away from IR temp gauges as they will give you false readings because the surface of the tire can heat up and cool down so quickly. Tire temp gauges use a sharp probe that you insert into the cord of the tire which gives you more of an average temperature from the entire track, where as a IR temp sensor will give you temps from the last turn and you rolling through the pits.

So if you invest in a tire temp gauge here is what you will do.

Measure the temperature of the tire across the tread; outside, middle and inside. Record the temperature for each tire.

Now if the outside temperature is higher then both the middle and inside then it means that you can increase negative camber. If the temperature is higher on the inside then you are running too much negative camber. If the temperature is high in the middle then your tire pressure is too high. Ideally you would want the temperature across the tire to be equal. That would indicate that you are utilizing the entire width of the tire effectively.

This is not a complete manual on tuning with tire temps but it is a great start! I am currently working on some tech articles that Pfadt Race Engineering will release periodically, and I am going to add "Tunning with Tire Temps" to the list. Also, if there are any topics that you would like to see for our Tech Articles please feel free to PM me!

I hope this is helpful. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:04 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

15-30 degrees cooler on the outside of the tire

Get notified of new replies

To more alignment questions, not enough camber in the rear

Quick Reply: more alignment questions, not enough camber in the rear