Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Introduction & Questions about Motive Brake Bleeder - Which One for c6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:56 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default An Introduction & Questions about Motive Brake Bleeder - Which One for c6?

A little introduction first :

I'm trying to get my new '08 Z51 Coupe ready for some HPDE's this season. I used to run several DE's per season, but that was a few years ago. I'm signed up for the mid-summer NCM at VIR (Blue group), and will try to get to other events before then to get familiar with this car since it's my first Vette.

I've been talking with several local experienced Vette DE'ers and researching alot here on the forum as well. But, I need to start posting some specific questions, so let's start here -

I'll probably be by myself at the track events, so a One-man bleeder is essential. It seems the Motive bleeder is a popular tool at the track these days. I've used a MityVac handheld bleeder in the past, and it worked pretty well, but was slow and probably didn't do the best job of flushing the lines.

• Would it ALSO be good to get SpeedBleeders as well?
    • If you find the Motive to be a worthwhile tool, is the top right model shown in this pic from MidAmerica the correct one for the C6? I think it's either model 1101 generic or 1108 GM-specific. It's listed for all Vettes from 84-04, but there's no mention of a model designed for the C6 years.
    It sounds like the popular recommendation is to use this bleeder for air pressure only, relying on the car's reservoir to stay full of fresh fluid, and without putting any fluid in the jug itself. I'm fine with that method...

THANKS FOR THE INFO, GUYS !!

Old 02-13-2008, 02:58 AM
    Last C5
    Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Get one, they're a great tool. The 1108 GM specific is what you want and then you can always buy the generic bolt on lid separately if you want to use it on other cars.

I had speed bleeders and I pulled them out. I think the Motive works better with the regular bleeders. My $0.02

Yup, air pressure only. Also get one or two of their bleed bottles too. They're handy.
    Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 AM
    Feffman
    Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
    Get one, they're a great tool. The 1108 GM specific is what you want and then you can always buy the generic bolt on lid separately if you want to use it on other cars.

I had speed bleeders and I pulled them out. I think the Motive works better with the regular bleeders. My $0.02
    Ditto! I have one for my CTS-V and it's made brake bleeding a snap. Make sure you rinse out the bleeder line after each use and don't kink it or it will leak. Had it burst right in the middle of a bleed, spraying brake fluid everywhere in the engine bay. Hell of a mess.

Feff
    Old 02-13-2008, 07:57 AM
    AU N EGL
    Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Get the GM cap. I was not fond of speed bleeders at all. With the Power Bleeded, my new speed bleeder is a 10mm now
    Old 02-13-2008, 06:30 PM
    EvilBoffin
    Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
    St. Jude Donor '09

Great info, guys. Thanks.

Anyone else willing to comment?
    Old 02-18-2008, 01:39 PM
    RyanR0101
    Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I got one for xmas and it's a nice tool. I don't understand why people say not to fill the reservoir. I did and it worked fine. With pressure working for you, I see no need for speed bleeders either. The pressure doesn't run down that fast either. Just check the pressure after bleeding each wheel and you should be fine.

Get notified of new replies

To An Introduction & Questions about Motive Brake Bleeder - Which One for c6?

Quick Reply: An Introduction & Questions about Motive Brake Bleeder - Which One for c6?