Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what would you recoment slicks or radials

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:31 AM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default what would you recoment slicks or radials

i picked up my 01' Z in november of 07' to do alot of autocrossing and some HPDE with. i am going to pick up another set of speedline 18's for track tires. i have done 2 autocross events last year with the 1967 camaro i had (lot of suspension work with lots of other mods) and i do have a performance driving back ground (my father teaches advanced police pursuit driving)

my question is should i just get another set of street tires for the 18's to learn on before i move up to racing slicks or just go with some A6's and learn with those? i would really like to hear everyones input on this so i can make the best choice to advance my skill and not kick my self down the road for doing something wrong that held me back.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:25 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

slicks are no big deal get some scrubs and try them.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Many HPDE clubs strongly request and some require that street tires be used for your first 10 or so DEs. Some clubs does not matter.

the KDW2 street tire, but also has very good grip and does talk to you though corners, is a good tire.

There is a NITTO, forgot which one, that does the same. Good Grip for track days, yet is a street tire.

Here is a good list:

Tires

Nitto 555RIIs, Pilot Sport Cups, RA1x, BFG KDW2s are really stick street tires – semi-soft tires but comparable to the F1s and MXs.

1) DOT-approved R-compounds tires with a UTQG tread rating of 40 or less ( ex. Hoosier R6, A6, Kumho Ecsta V710, ect. – note GAC Hoosiers OK)

2) DOT-approved R compound tires with a UTQG treadwear rating of 50 to 90 ( ex Kumho Victorracer, Hankook Z211, ect )

3) DOT=approved R-compound tires with a UTQG tread racing or 100 or greater ) ex. Toyo RA1, Nitto NT01, ecr)
Old 02-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say run it as is for the 1st or 2nd event, then if you're running competitive times and the tires are really holding you back, move up to slicks. No point in spending money on tires when it would be better spent on more seat time.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:40 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a self-diagnostic set of questions: Do you know when your street tires are at the limit? Can you determine when they are talking to you and when they are screaming and over their limits?

If the answers are yes, then you are likely ready to try stickys. They don't scream until it's far too late, so you need to know the edge before you get there. Also, they have a narrower and higher optimal temperature range, so see if you can get some numbers on that, once you are turning consistent laps. Tires are the biggest money we all spend at the track, so it makes sense to optimize your money spent per hour at the track with respect to tires.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:52 AM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks guys, right now the car has new Toyo tires on it (they were on it when i bought it and i don't remember what ones they are) and i don't really want to tear them up so i have a good set of street tires. i'll just run the first few events on them to see what happens and go from there. i do know i the Pilot Sport's that were on my camaro held really well but i deffently could have run faster times with slicks as they were holding me back in that car. may be different in this car though.

me and another guy went and it was also his first time doing an autocross (C6Z) and i beat him by 2 seconds in my car.

Get notified of new replies

To what would you recoment slicks or radials

Quick Reply: what would you recoment slicks or radials