Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5/Base C6 Brakes on C6Z06 - Will They Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:37 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default C5/Base C6 Brakes on C6Z06 - Will They Fit?

Thinking of upgrading to a C6Z06 but am concerned about the issues (i.e., longevity and cost) with the C6 padletts and rotors.

Will C5/Base C6 rotors and calipers bolt up to a C6Z06? I imagine I'd need the caliper brackets?

I think race pads and NAPA rotors from the C5/Base C6 would provide adequate braking at an affordable price?

BTW, I'm knowledgeable about the aftermarket brake options (i.e., Stop Tech, Wilwood, etc) for the C6Z06 but am interested in input on the C5/Base C6 route.

Rick
Old 02-20-2008, 05:28 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

stock calipers will take a beating and spread giving to taper. Z Is faster than a C5 so it will be worse.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:27 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

with John

going to the StopTech set up right away would be a better idea IMO
Old 02-20-2008, 08:59 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coming from a C5 with 423rwhp, and putting on Willwoods, then going to the Z, I can tell you that base brakes would be a VERY BAD idea if they even worked. The calipers themselves are very good, it's just the paddlet design that eats through pads. But there are already a couple manufacturers that make one large pad. This I think will be a very good alternative for C6Z HPDE'ers. Sometimes you have to be patient and wait for the aftermarket to start making product. Think of what the C5 aftermarket was like back in 1999, almost non-existent. Today, you can almost build an entire C5 with aftermarket parts. With GM making thousands of these cars a year, you will see more and more parts available as time goes on...

I am sure in another year or so, we will have our choice of rotors, brake pads and other items.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:56 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

I was afraid these are the responses I would get.... I appreciate your time but could someone please answer the fitment question?

I know people have put C6Z06 on a C5/C6 Base but need some help going the other way. Not on whether or it's a good idea.

Rick
Old 02-20-2008, 12:03 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

going the other way is definitely not a good idea.

stock c5z brakes are 'ok' on a stock c5z. I cant imagine them with 100 more hp and bigger rubber.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:05 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most likely it would work but the most important aspect is whether or not it is a good idea

If it is a bad idea then working or not is a moot point

Rick
Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
I was afraid these are the responses I would get.... I appreciate your time but could someone please answer the fitment question?

I know people have put C6Z06 on a C5/C6 Base but need some help going the other way. Not on whether or it's a good idea.

Rick
you are the first I have heard want this so that is why nobody has had better answers. If you are concerned about wearing of rotors and pads you will smoke the C5 Caliper on the Z. What does it takes to put C6Z on to C5 and reverse engineer it.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:06 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they should bolt right on, you need the calipers, pads, rotors and brackets. I swap my C6Z calipers out for C6 regular calipers before track days, but my car is a Z51 (515rwhp) with the Z body.

Last edited by corvette pilot; 02-20-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:22 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
The calipers themselves are very good, it's just the paddlet design that eats through pads. But there are already a couple manufacturers that make one large pad. .
Who makes the one piece pads?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:19 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
Who makes the one piece pads?
Carbotech definately, and I beleive Hawk now as well.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:50 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

The question asked was will they fit. The answer is yes. All you need is the mounting brackets and calipers.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:05 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
they should bolt right on, you need the calipers, pads, rotors and brackets. I swap my C6Z calipers out for C6 regular calipers before track days, but my car is a Z51 (515rwhp) with the Z body.
Originally Posted by Vector Vette
The question asked was will they fit. The answer is yes. All you need is the mounting brackets and calipers.
Thanks guys. Now that I know they fit I offer; I know a bunch of guys tracking heavily modded C5s with more hp to the wheels than a C6Z06 and stock C5 calipers with NAPA rotors. They're running R compounds with race pads. They've not had anything but positive comments on their capability and function.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 02-22-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Thanks guys. Now that I know they fit I offer; I know a bunch of guys tracking heavily modded C5 with more hp to the wheels than a C6Z06 and running stock C5 calipers and NAPA rotors. They're running R compound with race pads. They've not had anything but positive comments on their capability and function.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Rick
I was running stock NAPA rotors and stock calipers with Hawk race pads and R compound tires on my otherwise stock C5 Z06, and I was eating up pads like crazy. Two track days on a set of pads, 4 to 5 on the rotors and they were shot. It was unbelievably frustrating, and everyone else I spoke to with stock brakes was having the same problem on the track.

I switched last year to the Wilwood SLP6/SLP4 setup with stock sized Wilwood 2-piece rotors and Wilwood H pads for the track. What a difference. First of all, the car stopped 10 times better. I have 5 or 6 track events (10+ days) on the rotors and pads. Rotors look like new and still have over 90% of the pads left.

Obviously, you'll do what you want to do, but IMHO, there is no way I would ever put C5 brakes on a C6 Z. You are wasting your time, effort and money for a solution that will not work. But YMMV. Do let us know.

Get notified of new replies

To C5/Base C6 Brakes on C6Z06 - Will They Fit?

Quick Reply: C5/Base C6 Brakes on C6Z06 - Will They Fit?