Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone seen Electric/Hybrid or Electric vehicles in Road Race yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 AM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone seen Electric/Hybrid or Electric vehicles in Road Race yet?

Has any company, even corporate, sponsored or placed an Electric/Hybrid or Electric vehicle in a road race against gasoline powered cars?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
Old 03-05-2008, 09:41 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-05-2008, 10:10 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes. Twice. Once they did not qualify FAST enough so they did make the grid. Second time, it was in spectator parking area.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:45 AM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh, yes I saw hybrid/eco P1 car from Audi win a few LeMans races...

it's called Diesel

Ethanol is agriculture's fusion. You put in two $1 bills and you get back $1...

Friggin' mystery why I have to pay so much for meat when Diesel is cheeep and easy.

JK
Old 03-05-2008, 11:25 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I have a few guys that I know that left where I work and went to Tesla.

I've tried to get them to bring one out to our events. No such luck as of yet.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:35 AM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NoOne
I have a few guys that I know that left where I work and went to Tesla.

I've tried to get them to bring one out to our events. No such luck as of yet.

sveeettt

Tesla Motors
Old 03-05-2008, 12:13 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonkle

it's called Diesel

Friggin' mystery why I have to pay so much for meat when Diesel is cheeep and easy.

JK

I've seen the success of the Audi diesel P1 cars. But I was looking for hybrids or electrics not altermative fuels.

On the alternative fuels topic ...

The policital climate in this country keeps pushing the corn based Ethanol solution while folks in other countries are starving to death. Sugar Cane is a more efficient source to make ethanol but it's not politically acceptable to buy fuel or sugar cane from Brazil.

Ryan
Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by reidry
I've seen the success of the Audi diesel P1 cars. But I was looking for hybrids or electrics not altermative fuels.

On the alternative fuels topic ...

The policital climate in this country keeps pushing the corn based Ethanol solution while folks in other countries are starving to death. Sugar Cane is a more efficient source to make ethanol but it's not politically acceptable to buy fuel or sugar cane from Brazil.

Ryan
I hijacked your thread and for that I am sorry....

Yup, I agree with you, it's okay to drive up the cost of essentials in this country vs buy fuel from Brazil - yack! Corn is good for eating, not for making fuel...sheesh. AT this point, with corn etc consumption increasing globally, we don't need ethanol driving up the cost of corn and beef, milk, eggs, etc.

JK

As an aside, the hybrid transmission + battery that GM has built would add a lot of weight to the car. The race would have to change to "who can use the least amount of fuel and produce the least toxins in a 500 lap race."

further, I'd rather put pee in my truck than replace the Li batteries...

JK
Old 03-05-2008, 01:16 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

arent F1 guys allowed to use some regenerative energy systems now?
Old 03-05-2008, 01:58 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jkonkle

it's called Diesel

JK
Not if you do Ethanol the right way by using cellulosic material instead of corn.

While I'm certainly not in favor of using corn for Ethanol, it's getting the ball rolling for when we can use better and cheaper methods of creating Ethanol.

Even if you spend $2 and get $1 out of it (if that's even true), I'd rather do this for the meantime and be working towards an alternative to oil instead of spending all that money overseas fighting wars over oil.

Check out this site. Not sure when it will be available. Ethanol from cellulosic waste material (not a food source) for less than a $1 a gallon.

http://www.coskata.com/

Someone asked me if I respected big business and I do respect big businesses like Coskata that are actually trying to look for solutions to problems instead of just concerned about making a profit. I also respect companies like Toyota, Honda and Audi for looking to alternatives without having to have their backs against the wall (GM) to give us products using alternative technology.

This is all just my opinion. I don't want to get in another pissing match over it.

Last edited by xsiveone; 03-05-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:23 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by xsiveone
Not if you do Ethanol the right way by using cellulosic material instead of corn.

While I'm certainly not in favor of using corn for Ethanol, it's getting the ball rolling for when we can use better and cheaper methods of creating Ethanol.

Even if you spend $2 and get $1 out of it (if that's even true), I'd rather do this for the meantime and be working towards an alternative to oil instead of spending all that money overseas fighting wars over oil.

Check out this site. Not sure when it will be available. Ethanol from cellulosic waste material (not a food source) for less than a $1 a gallon.

Someone asked me if I respected big business and I do respect big businesses like Coskata that are actually trying to look for solutions to problems instead of just concerned about making a profit. I also respect companies like Toyota, Honda and Audi for looking to alternatives without having to have their backs against the wall (GM) to give us products using alternative technology.

This is all just my opinion. I don't want to get in another pissing match over it.
Newton's third law reigns supreme in economics, energy, etc.

In this case, you need more money for this situation to work and it's coming from $4 milk, $2 eggs and crappy $7 sirloin...

At the rate of cellular changes in pricing, egg's will be individually wrapped by 2010.

JK
Old 03-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Dashzo6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is possible to convert coal to diesel fuel. No need for foreign oil for diesel fuel.

http://www.nma.org/pdf/liquid_coal_fuels_100505.pdf
Old 03-05-2008, 04:54 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

I'm looking forward to this if it ever happens. It will not only improve the breed when it comes to technology, but it should take racing back several decades because teams will have to actually balance speed vs. finishing a 500 mile race. Nowadays a 24 hour race with current technology is practically a sprint race.

Hydrogen 500

http://www.hydrogenforecast.com/Arti...?articleID=347

It would also be great to create American jobs in this technology field. I'd love to see our country return to being leaders of innovation in the world like it once was.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:57 PM
cire96
Burning Brakes

Not a road course event, but I saw a Prius at an AX where I was the starter. (BTW it handled like a bucket of poopie) I mentioned to the driver that if a Siera Club saw him racing it, they'd probably yank him out of the car and woop him with a booklet of Al Gore's Carbon Credits!
Cire
Old 03-05-2008, 05:14 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cire96
Not a road course event, but I saw a Prius at an AX where I was the starter. (BTW it handled like a bucket of poopie) I mentioned to the driver that if a Siera Club saw him racing it, they'd probably yank him out of the car and woop him with a booklet of Al Gore's Carbon Credits!
Cire
It should handle like crap. It's an economy car. A people mover. I'd love to see the Tesla do an autox, which is basically a Lotis Elise with electric power.

The cool thing about electric is that it has 100% of its torque from a standing start. You don't have to spin anything up like with an internal combustion engine. I've seen people drag race electric vehicles and the biggest problem that they were having was keeping the thing from snapping driveline parts from all the torque.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:27 PM
RAFTeRACER
Instructor

I personally wouldn't like to spend $2 to get $1 and besides the whole wars over oil argument dosn't really fly when canada is our #1 suplier and I believe Mexico is #2. Iraq is like #8 or some s#@t. I cant remember the last time we declared war against Canada.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:36 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm looking forward to this if it ever happens. It will not only improve the breed when it comes to technology, but it should take racing back several decades because teams will have to actually balance speed vs. finishing a 500 mile race. Nowadays a 24 hour race with current technology is practically a sprint race.

Hydrogen 500

http://www.hydrogenforecast.com/Arti...?articleID=347

It would also be great to create American jobs in this technology field. I'd love to see our country return to being leaders of innovation in the world like it once was.
That would be really cool, I'd love it if this type of tech was available to club racers...
Old 03-05-2008, 07:55 PM
JiminFL
Racer

Default How about 10 years ago?

Kind of surprised nobody remembers the Panoz Q9 from back in 1998. It was not around long, but I do remember seeing it race in the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta, and it didn't seem to be the dog of the field.

http://www.evworld.com/archives/racing/panozq9.html

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone seen Electric/Hybrid or Electric vehicles in Road Race yet?

Quick Reply: Anyone seen Electric/Hybrid or Electric vehicles in Road Race yet?