Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Devil Brakes...Help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:02 AM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Devil Brakes...Help...

I'm looking at a car with the Red Devil 6-pots and the Ti rotors. I spoke with the owner of RD and it appears that he is the only one that sells pads for these brakes, so I couldn't try other compounds, and they only offer two types...street and performance. My use will be limited street and HPDEs with wide r-comps.

OK, so I wouldn't use the Ti rotors for the track, I'd use the NAPA blanks (they work with the brakes) but I'm hesitant about the pads....

Anyone know someone who has used these brakes with some level of success?

At worst, is there a place where I could send the pad plates and have good track pads made? Doesn't Carbotech or Porterfield do that?

I could always try and sell the system and buy the Wilwoods or Stoptechs but I wonder if I can make these work. Again, NAPA blanks on the track and I'd save the Ti rotors for street.

Thanks,
TomK

Last edited by ace996; 03-08-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:50 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm pretty sure the 4 pistons use the common (and dirt cheap in any race compound) Performance Friction 7751 pad profile and in Hawk that is a 101. The six pistons I am not sure about, but I bet it is another common pad profile. You can have your backing plates re-lined if you cannot find pads, but I bet if you call porterfield and show them the pads they will find you the proper fitment.

-V
Old 03-13-2008, 06:20 PM
ace996
Pro

Yep...a little digging found out some info...

Front plates... Hawk 102
Rear plates... Hawk 101

Now the question comes down to thickness. I believe the major companies make the pads in .8", and that may be too fat. I have a suspicion that I'll need .65"...

So what's the easiest way to "home-shave" a set of pads???

Thanks,
TomK
Old 03-13-2008, 06:25 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ace996
I'm looking at a car with the Red Devil 6-pots and the Ti rotors. I spoke with the owner of RD and it appears that he is the only one that sells pads for these brakes, so I couldn't try other compounds, and they only offer two types...street and performance. My use will be limited street and HPDEs with wide r-comps.
Are you sure your REALLY want to do this?

I could always try and sell the system and buy the Wilwoods or Stoptechs but I wonder if I can make these work. Again, NAPA blanks on the track and I'd save the Ti rotors for street.

Thanks,
TomK
That may be your best option. Sell the Red devils and Ti rotors.

Do a search. We had a big discussion about these brakes. Turns out they are not really performance brakes at all, but more for show cars.

Don't think Ti is a good heat conductor which is caused from friction to slow the car down.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:05 PM
ace996
Pro

I saw the brakes today. They are quite impressive...the calipers, that is. The calpers are billet aluminum and are quite beefy, they actually look very much like APRacing calipers (perhaps re-badged??). The above pads...the 102/101 are not small pads, so if I run a set of DTC-70s on NAPA blanks...I'm sure they will create some friction, no?

I hear you about the Ti rotors...I would not use them onthe track, only the street...if even. I've run the NAPA blanks and left them on the car with my prior Z, so I'm not a "rotor snob"....$25 blanks get me excited!!

To the point...
I am looking at a car that has the brakes installed and the owner is not willing to discount the car if he takes them off. I could always try them...again, not the rotors...but the calipers with stock rotors and see what happens. At worst, I can try to sell them to drag-racers who want very light brakes and then buy Wilwoods...

I do appreciate your advice, though.

Be good,
TomK

Get notified of new replies

To Red Devil Brakes...Help...

Quick Reply: Red Devil Brakes...Help...