Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street car / cage idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default street car / cage idea

I know most of us here have street cars that we take to the track vs. dedicated track cars so everything including safety is a compromise, since you can't really put a cage in a street car unless you want to wear your helmet around all the time, but what if you left off the part where your head would hit.

I borrowed this picture from Katech to show what I'm talking about.

pretty much leave off the bar going up the a pillar & over the passengers' heads. and make a 90' bend to go through the dash.

reasons behind this idea
- the weak link that I can see is the side-impact, so a roll bar alone is pretty pointless
- C5/C6s have pretty good roll-over protection from the factory, but you'd still have the roll-bar par to help out there.

what do you guys think, good idea or am i missing something?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I think part of that challenge is the Tech rules for the SCCA and NASA. What may be easier for getting in and out of the car, plus not hitting your head, may not pass tech rules.

What passes tech rules may not be ideal for street driving.

Personally I like the Door bars that are higher, and the A -piller to go into the dash, not in front of the dash. ( cut the dash )

The other challenge may be the cross bar between the A-pilers. Some cages have this bar behind the dash, which I like other have them on top of the dash or under the steering wheel level. My knees hit and I dont have room.

I like to sit up close and personal with my steering wheel, but dont want my knees to hit the dash or a cross bar. I also need the D-shaped steering wheel so my knees have more clearance.

Those are things to discuses with a cage builder and make some accommodation to each drivers needs, but not compromise safety.

In my case when the cage goes in ( VERY SOON) I will take with the builder and maybe put a steering wheel extension on to move the steering wheel out a bit and if possible move the peddle box out slightly so I can have that same fit for my legs, yet have easy and quick egress from the car.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 04-09-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:57 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What good is it then like wearing a peanut helmet?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:09 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
...In my case when the cage goes in ( VERY SOON) I will take with the builder and maybe put a steering wheel extension on to move the steering wheel out a bit and if possible move the peddle box out slightly so I can have that same fit for my legs, yet have easy and quick egress from the car.
Hey Tom - this solved all my seat/steering wheel positioning problems. Now I can sit with my legs in a comfortable spot and the steering wheel is right up near me where it should be. There is a tiny bit of play in the splines, but it's not enough that I ever notice it when driving.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:28 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mikahb
Hey Tom - this solved all my seat/steering wheel positioning problems. Now I can sit with my legs in a comfortable spot and the steering wheel is right up near me where it should be. There is a tiny bit of play in the splines, but it's not enough that I ever notice it when driving.
Thanks I have that, but when I put it on, my legs are too far from the peddles.

Even though I am 6-2 with long legs, I like to be close. Maybe I just need to get use to it.

Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To street car / cage idea

Quick Reply: street car / cage idea