Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really tall, really short throw shifter, any available?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 11:27 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Really tall, really short throw shifter, any available?

Anybody make one? I can do it myself but have a whole car to build in far to little time.

I have a B&M but most other shifters would probably be the same. I can cut the section below the pivot point and add some length, say 1.2" then cut a 1/2" thick spacer to raise the mount for clearance.

Next I would add 2" or so to the top section, I would do the math to get the ratio right.

I have made a few for other cars, some easier than others, all worked jsut fine.

But, If I could buy one and it does not cost a fortune I would rather do so, let me know if you know of any

Rick
Old 04-13-2008, 12:28 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you just use something like the Hurst which has the shortest throw and then use the very tall LG delrin ****?
Old 04-13-2008, 07:32 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Just get a Holinger or Emco Sequential.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:13 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Tall **** negates the short throw unless the Hurst is very very short. I have a tall **** now on the B&M and it makes the throws to long while in the race seat, I bump my elbow on the seat, not good for making all the shifts accurately.

Thanks though, I did not know the Hurst is the shortest, I will look into it but I doubt what I will want. I like around 50-60mm throws, what I am used to.

Sure, I would love to have a sequential box, probably not in this lifetime and I am not one to believe I have any more coming

Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-13-2008, 11:46 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use the side of the **** not the top so throw is shorter. I have the Hurst and like it.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:09 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raam
Tall **** negates the short throw unless the Hurst is very very short. I have a tall **** now on the B&M and it makes the throws to long while in the race seat, I bump my elbow on the seat, not good for making all the shifts accurately.

Thanks though, I did not know the Hurst is the shortest, I will look into it but I doubt what I will want. I like around 50-60mm throws, what I am used to.

Sure, I would love to have a sequential box, probably not in this lifetime and I am not one to believe I have any more coming

Thanks,
Rick
I have had the B&M as well and I assure you the Hurst is much more aggressive and quite a bit ~ 15%shorter throws than the BM.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used the softer springs on mine
Old 04-14-2008, 11:28 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Thanks, I will pick up a Hurst to try it out

Any different models manf or are they all the same, updated, etc?

I have looked and did not find an answer to that but it was late last night after working on the roll cage, plating parts of the frame, etc, still tired today!

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Really tall, really short throw shifter, any available?

Quick Reply: Really tall, really short throw shifter, any available?