Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time w/CHIN questions about 55 min sessions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:41 AM
billy25us
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default First time w/CHIN questions about 55 min sessions

I have gotten a few HPDE's under my belt but they all have been 15-20min. sessions. I am running RA in June with Chin and there sessions are 55 minutes long. My questions are what should I expect from the car (c6)specifically brakes and tires . I live 50 minutes from the track so I drive in on KDW2's and run Hawk hp plus. I do realize these are not the best ,I do intend on switching to a better set up but I'm going to get my moneys worth out of what I got. But I also want to be safe while I am doing it.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:53 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Primary concern with a 55 min session is the driver, that is a long time on the track at speed. Be sure to stay well hydrated. If you find that you are losing the edge, missing apexes, etc. pit in and refocus. Double check brakes prior to the event. Definitely switch to a high temp fluid like ATE super blue or Motul.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run with the Z51 tires and I have found anything longer than 25 minutes I can feel the tires going away (feeling greasy) but if I back off for 2 - 3 laps they come back fine. I have done several 45 - 50 stints with this set up.

For brakes I use Carbotechs either XP-16 or XP-12's in the front and never had a problem with them.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:02 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,730 Likes on 783 Posts

When running with Chin at VIR, their last session of the day is typically 50-55 minutes. I usually break this session up into 2 shorter sessions. I'll go out for 20 minutes, come in and pit for 10-15 minutes, then go back out for the remainder.

This allows both car and driver to cool off, and reduces driver fatigue at the end of the day.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:18 AM
jlcvt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedLS6
When running with Chin at VIR, their last session of the day is typically 50-55 minutes. I usually break this session up into 2 shorter sessions. I'll go out for 20 minutes, come in and pit for 10-15 minutes, then go back out for the remainder.

This allows both car and driver to cool off, and reduces driver fatigue at the end of the day.

No reason to over work you or your car, it's not a race.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:41 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Primary concern with a 55 min session is the driver, that is a long time on the track at speed. Be sure to stay well hydrated. If you find that you are losing the edge, missing apexes, etc. pit in and refocus.

Couldn't agree more, know when to pull off and take a break. I had to do this at Chin's Watkins event last fall. I had an instructor in the car, and it was the last session of the day. I felt as though I was losing my concentration, slowing down, missing the visual cues, etc. So we pulled in 1/2 way through, KNOW YOUR LIMIT.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are not supposed to run the whole 55 minutes. They do that to add flexibility to the schedule, rather than to give you more time.

If you have an instructor, especially me, you won't run for more than 30 minutes.

Tim
Old 04-20-2008, 04:17 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RUN4CVR
Couldn't agree more, know when to pull off and take a break. I had to do this at Chin's Watkins event last fall. I had an instructor in the car, and it was the last session of the day. I felt as though I was losing my concentration, slowing down, missing the visual cues, etc. So we pulled in 1/2 way through, KNOW YOUR LIMIT.
and that is the SMART thing to do
Old 04-20-2008, 07:39 PM
linutux
Pro

You will probably need a break before your brakes or tires.

If you find yourself asking "Should I pit in this lap?", the answer is yes.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Chin actually advises that you break it up... One reason they give longer sessions is so folks don't feel so rushed to get on grid ASAP to get your time in. All I've been told is that you will get more track time than you'll ever use in one weekend with them, so just plan to go and have fun!

I'll be there in July with them!

Mike
Old 04-21-2008, 01:21 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I am signed up for that also, but I didn't realize it was for 55 min sessions. I can't imagine driving that long with stock seats without taking a break. I was hoping to have my racing seat by then, but I have clutch issues so that will be where my Economic Stimulus rebate money will be going (just need to tell the wife somehow ). Hope to see you there!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:24 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz06
You are not supposed to run the whole 55 minutes. They do that to add flexibility to the schedule, rather than to give you more time.

If you have an instructor, especially me, you won't run for more than 30 minutes.

Tim
I will be there instructing...
Old 04-21-2008, 09:04 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

If I can get my car back together I may come out, but I only do 8-10 laps max at a time. Then pit and refocus or end the session in normal groups.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:17 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran once with CART and it was 50 minutes +- I went into a trance. I was doing everything automatically it was great. Then I looked at the gas gauge I was on fumes. I would have been so :o
Old 04-21-2008, 09:51 PM
LS6Vette02
Racer

I'll be there as well. All group sessions will be 30 min. long with only one 60 min. session at the end of the day. I just do like others are saying, split it into two sessions. I'm glad there are nearby gas stations.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:23 PM
ragtop_88
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah what they said. I'm fairly new to this, but in February I did an event with the local BMW club at Roebling Road and they did 30 minute sessions. This was about perfect. Enough time to get in the feel of the session and also not feel like you lost the whole thing because you had a little bit of traffic. At the end of the 30 minutes I could definitely feel the street tires (bridgestones) get greasy and start pushing and I know I could use a little quick refocus session too. I also about emptied the tank after 3 of these sessions, where I don't even remember having to refill during the PCA event I did before that where there were 15 minute sessions.

Get notified of new replies

To First time w/CHIN questions about 55 min sessions

Quick Reply: First time w/CHIN questions about 55 min sessions