Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video: My big off at Roebling

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 03:01 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default Video: My big off at Roebling

Was down at Roebling last weekend for the SCCA Jim Stark Memorial. Overall, the weekend was a frustrating one - primarily due to my own stupidity.

I managed to get down there with ZERO good tires, 3 sets of 8+ heat-cycle Kumhos. I tested on Friday and couldn't get below mid 1:17's, so I sprung for the only 315's available at the track which were a set of brand new Hoosier R6's. Very excited for qualifying Saturday AM, I went out and drove the sh** outta the car to get a best lap of only 1:19.1!!!

EDIT: Here is a link to video of my Saturday Qualifying effort. Constructive input appreciated!

I knew the R6's weren't as fast as the A6's or the 710's, but needless to say I was quite suprised I slowed down that much. And, in reviewing the video (I'll post it at some point), I don't see a lot of time I left out there, I ran 3 consecutive laps pushing everywhere I could all between 19.1 and 19.4. So, that pissed me off even more - now I was pissed AND slow AND broke!

The rain poured before the race on Saturday (becoming a theme with me it seems) but the track started to dry just before the race. So I hastily swapped back on my trusty-dusty 710's (gave up on the R6's) and headed out there. The track WAS dry, but there was standing water in several places - notably on the outside of the entrance to Turn 3.

I did a decent job dodging puddles for the first 8 laps, and then tried to turn in - in 4th gear - right on top of that little damp spot in Turn 3 on the 9th lap. Car stepped out, easy catch, but there was not enough race track for me to avoid the now sopping-wet and (much) slicker than greased-snot grass. I slid for approximately 15 miles - give or take - and hit the sand trap and touched the tire wall with both ends of the car - have thumb-sized scuffs to prove it. Amazingly, there was no damage other than 20 pounds of wet sand packed into every orifice on the right side of the car and 1 pair of CarbonX underwear.

D'oh! first link, was wrong race - HERE is the Saturday race with the off.

Here is Sunday's race - not a lot of excitement.

The video doesn't do justice to how slowly this all unfolded from the drivers seat, but I hope y'all enjoy!

We ran a little better (and safer) Sunday and got credit for both races, so the VetteRacer team marches on towards our Runoff's goal. We will be at VIR next weekend: car, enthusiasm, and most of my ego all still intact.

Last edited by mikahb; 05-03-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:33 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Great Video Mikah

You kept pulling in those ST C6Z06s
Old 05-02-2008, 04:46 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice race - I can help you pick up some time there....I think..

That is strange about the R6s .....
Old 05-02-2008, 05:10 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Sorry guys - had my videos mis-labeled and that link was for the Sunday race, HERE is the Saturday race with the big off.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you didn't hit anything. Looked like you were trying to shift after you went off?
Old 05-02-2008, 08:57 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikahb
Amazingly, there was no damage other than 20 pounds of wet sand packed into every orifice on the right side of the car and 1 pair of CarbonX underwear.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Man I can't believe you went straight off with that much speed in the wet grass and didn't smash that thing up. Makes me think I can push it just a little bit harder through there next time.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:19 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Leaves me wondering a bit why a newly paved track has standing water on it.
I just thought it would have been paved in such a manner as to avoid that.

any other thoughts on this?
Old 05-03-2008, 09:32 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought it was gonna be alot worse the car slowed down just in time.
Good save
Old 05-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mikah, Sunday's race was alot better for both of us than Sat.'s. You coul dsee how much time I lost for about the last three laps with my broken wheel hub. Had to not only replace the hub, but the caliper was toasted, the rotor also ate into the lower comtrol arm and had to replace it. I was lucky the wheel didn't come off.

Bob and I plan on seeing you at Nashville.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:05 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie
Hey Mikah, Sunday's race was alot better for both of us than Sat.'s. You coul dsee how much time I lost for about the last three laps with my broken wheel hub. Had to not only replace the hub, but the caliper was toasted, the rotor also ate into the lower comtrol arm and had to replace it. I was lucky the wheel didn't come off.

Bob and I plan on seeing you at Nashville.
Yikes! Yeah, I looked at MyLaps and it was pretty clear you had a problem going on. I hate that it tore your car up so much, but considering what could've happend (I'm thinking Turn 8 ) I guess you're lucky it stayed together!

Very glad to hear y'all will make it up here to Nashville, Melissa and I going to have to start preparing NOW to show the same kind of hospitality you and Holly show us every time! Thanks again, and glad you've got the black beast back together!
Old 05-03-2008, 10:07 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by WNeal

Good point. Looking at it - nearly all the water was right on the racing line - in a "high lateral-G" area. I'm wondering if it's just that all the grippy cars going around there have already deformed the new surface just enough to leave some water.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:10 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Timz06
Glad you didn't hit anything. Looked like you were trying to shift after you went off?
It does appear I downshifted to 3rd. Why? I have no idea. Honestly, my brain never registered that I was in big trouble until shoftly after I parked it and got out. Nice to have video to see how it went down, because immediately after it happened I was confused and had no idea why I went off in the first place.

I think if I hadn't hit the sand broadside, I would've carried through the sand and into the wall.

I don't feel like I can take any credit at all for NOT hitting the wall - just plain dumb luck. Well, my wife is a good person too - maybe her good karma helped out some, certainly wasn't mine!
Old 05-03-2008, 10:17 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WNeal

Race tracks aren't paved with crowns on like normal roads so the water does not drain off very well.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:53 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't feel like I can take any credit at all for NOT hitting the wall - just plain dumb luck. Well, my wife is a good person too - maybe her good karma helped out some, certainly wasn't mine!
You contribute you save to luck, I think that you saved the car with some good driving.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:42 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Here's video of my qualifying effort on Saturday.

Constructive feedback is more than welcome, I really felt like I was pushing pretty hard, but maybe I'm missing the obvious. It has happened before!
Old 05-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mikah, my opinion is that you are turning in a bit early on several of the turns. Turning in later will also keep you of the rumble strips on 9, that is a bad place to be. I think turning in later you could pick up at least 1 second, maybe more. Tim

Get notified of new replies

To Video: My big off at Roebling

Old 05-03-2008, 08:58 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Race tracks aren't paved with crowns on like normal roads so the water does not drain off very well.
They also groove - every track I have been on puddles or get a runoff area over the track. At Mid America they had to pump the water off the track...

Last edited by varkwso; 05-03-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:16 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Here's video of my qualifying effort on Saturday.

Constructive feedback is more than welcome, I really felt like I was pushing pretty hard, but maybe I'm missing the obvious. It has happened before!
I can tell you are fighting slippery tires!

T1 & T2 look OK - stay in 4th....the tires seem to be giving you fits - 4th also helps this

Stay out on T3 till the end of the outside rumble - this line will make the exit of T2 smoother also. T4 line is the best race line - but the outside T4 line has a better exit speed in a C5.

Tap the brake in the middle of T5 (cannot tell if you do) to load the nose at "second " turn in to get more throttle in right afterwards. Go to outside to enter T6 (it flows great once you catch the groove) and stay mid track to hit the apex you have.

Too early turn on T8. Your line works the tires pretty hard and gives a real chance to make the Roebling ultimate mistake...

You are losing most of your time in T3 and that is also impacting your times through T4-T7.

merely my opinion - other people may run it differently...
Old 05-04-2008, 07:08 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

mikahb what air pressure where you running?

To my understanding Hoosiers need one heat cycle to get the mold release off them and set the rubber compounds. Then need to sit for 24 hours before raced on.

Quick Reply: Video: My big off at Roebling