Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking 4 month old Moton?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:12 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Leaking 4 month old Moton?

Had a great track day at Sebring this past Sat (3 days ago), no handling problems-- and noted no leaks changing back to Street tires at 9 pm Sat. 2 days after track day noted a much louder than normal thud when going over medium sized bumps at 30-35 mph, from Rt rear. It was consistant. I looked under the car and a thin yellowish oil was dripping from top of shock area. Pulled the wheel off and the upper A-arm was wet, shock attachment and the top of shock. Definitely not brake fluid or Diff fluid (coming from above brake line and diff area).No signs of physical damage to shock tube. Of course my race shop is leaving tomorrow and is packed up and the whole crew is headed for Utah Miller Park for next week's race. My questions----Is this a common thing to have happen after 4-5 track days? This is my DD, can i drive it for 10 days short distances 7-10 miles. Brent at Perf Tech says he's never seen one leak w/o someone playing w/ it or trauma. He said it sure sounds like the seal went but that they will have to take it out and overnite it to Moton to inspect/fix "when they get back". Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.----SB
Old 05-07-2008, 09:45 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

No ideas guys? Will this situation hurt my shock tower?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 AM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm very curious as to what happened as I've got moton c/o's as well.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:00 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Call Lex at Moton and have him service it.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:51 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Shock was returned to Moton overnite and repaired, no external damage, no tampering noted. they couldn;t understand it. All the other coilovers on the car were okay. they fixed it for free and my installer didn't charge me labor or postage. (I think Moton paid him since my shop did some testing for Moton in the past). car feels normal now
Old 05-23-2008, 11:29 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Was it a rear shock that went? The other thing that can and will cause this is the upper "pin" top mounts. We measured the angular deflection in the rear and it is about 14 degrees. This puts a bending moment on the shock shaft, bearings and seals, especially in the rear. This is independent of shock brand. If you have this, it can be converted to the upper clevis fairly easily.
Pin upper mount:

Bearing with clevis top mount

Whatever you do, DO NOT use a hard poly bushing up there unless it has some angular compliance capability.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking 4 month old Moton?

Quick Reply: Leaking 4 month old Moton?