Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road racing with an automatic?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:38 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Road racing with an automatic?!

Hey guys. i was thinking of doing the 4L80e swap on my 92 with the TCI trans control box. I guess you can add paddle shifters to this setup. Is it realistic to road race and do track events with this setup? I don't know much about transmissions other than sticks. This is my first auto type setup(700r4).

Anyone ever run a setup like this?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

In a past life...before I realized the beneifits of Corvette nation I used to own a Porsche 928 S4 with an automatic that used at many track events.

brakes were more of an issue that the trannie. driving wise you do a lot more left foor braking.

I never had any transmission issues. this was before Porsche devloped the tiptronic sequential shift transmission though. The 928's had Mercedes Benz truck 4 speed automatic units in them.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:57 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You can use the automatic on a road course. You will need to learn how to shift the automatic. One can not just leave it in Drive and expect it to work very well

The other thing is you will need a big transmission cooler. The autos tend to heat up real fast
Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I have a bad back from wreck caused by running over a deer and use an auto full time. It works OK. My car has the older 700R4 with no way to use paddles. A paddle shifter would be sweet, does the car shift quickly though? I do not know a lot about the 4L80E and would like to learn more about this conversion. I am sure the stock trans will not last forever and a better option would be nice.

In a previous turbo can I installed a manual valve body, B&M shifter with a CO2 air ram, RPM shift control, and two buttons for shifts. That worked very well, full control and fast.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:31 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm looking at the conversions more and more. On that other thread, i was trying to track down someone who has one of the trans controller boxes to get some input, but it just doesn't look like many people are making the conversions on our cars.

Apparently, the control boxes have different settings that allow the shifts to be made quickly when you're really on the gas. I'm curious how the downshifting works out though.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:03 PM
samc
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had my 700 rebuilt with lots of aftermarket upgrades like bands, clutches, the cage that holds the clutches (called "the beast" ?), etc. and the valve body reprogrammed for manual shifting. it's almost like driving a real car now. cost a lot less than swapping in a real transmission. also programmed for engine braking. not the same as a manual, but it is as close as can be i think. i did add a large cooler and fan back where the spare tire used to be. haven't had it on the track since that change, just autox, and it seems to stay cool enough there.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:34 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Guys here on this forum are deleting the traction control on the C6 paddle cars and getting about 100ms shifts!!! That is Ferrari F1 territory without all the reliability problems. I just drove a '07 paddle car in sport mode w/o the newer '08 programing and I was quite surprised at the speed and crispness of shifts. Doing TC edit must really wake up the performance of these slushboxes. A paddler could be my next vette even over a new Z since a plain C6 is only 70hp easy bolt on Horsepower away from a Z06 and I guess GM is proving the LS3 to be a great platform using it as the base to the ZR1.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:31 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I guess GM is proving the LS3 to be a great platform using it as the base to the ZR1.

We will see. Several T1 cars with LS3s are having challenges.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Guys here on this forum are deleting the traction control on the C6 paddle cars and getting about 100ms shifts!!! That is Ferrari F1 territory without all the reliability problems. I just drove a '07 paddle car in sport mode w/o the newer '08 programing and I was quite surprised at the speed and crispness of shifts. Doing TC edit must really wake up the performance of these slushboxes. A paddler could be my next vette even over a new Z since a plain C6 is only 70hp easy bolt on Horsepower away from a Z06 and I guess GM is proving the LS3 to be a great platform using it as the base to the ZR1.
How does traction control affect shift performance? It doesn't know anything is happening until the wheels slip and you can turn it off with a switch. You must mean torque management which is something altogther different.

Bill
Old 05-16-2008, 11:35 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
How does traction control affect shift performance? It doesn't know anything is happening until the wheels slip and you can turn it off with a switch. You must mean torque management which is something altogther different.

Bill
Correct...my brain fart....I'm over 40.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:36 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
We will see. Several T1 cars with LS3s are having challenges.
I did not know that. What's happening? Engines going blamo??? excess oil consumption???? gearbox??????

thanks!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:00 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I did not know that. What's happening? Engines going blamo??? excess oil consumption???? gearbox??????

thanks!
Engines going blamo, even with accu-sumps for better oiling. the cathedral shaped heads on the LS3 not producing the power down low to jump out of corners.

Compute controlled TQ managements holding the car back.

Just like any new engine, it takes a little time to sort it out.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Sully C5
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have been running an A4 at the track for five years. In the beginning I thought I was having over-heating problems with the tranny, but it wasn't the transmission...it was the GM sensor.

Last edited by Sully C5; 05-17-2008 at 03:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Road racing with an automatic?!

Quick Reply: Road racing with an automatic?!