Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THSCC follow up from VIR

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:14 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Default THSCC follow up from VIR

Will post some pictures later, but a fun mid-week event. LOTS of vettes for this club, and that was a lot of fun. Enjoyed meeting everyone and giving lots of rides.

1. Had a Ferrari 360 crash badly in the rain Wednesday. I really love those cars, so that made me sad

2. Had a Z06 lose an engine....almost. 08' Z06 oil pressure dropped to ZERO today, and had knocking. Owner called AAA to haul it away. I suggested he drive it and go ahead to blow it up, that way they would HAVE to replace the engine, not just patch it (bad oil pump maybe???).

3. Had another new Z06 (dedicated track car) have a rear wheel bearing fail. Not seen one like this, as it cracked radialy around where the face of the bearing and the hubcentric ring meet. They noticed it because the rotor started digging slightly into the inside of the caliper.

Photos later, just getting home and enjoying my kids......
Old 05-29-2008, 09:49 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

few photos

Old 05-29-2008, 10:07 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Ouch! Hate that for the Ferrari - the 360 is one of the most beautiful cars ever, IMHO.

I guess I can scratch my theory that VIR only likes to eat Corvettes!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:53 PM
FredSM
Drifting

Bummer. Hate to see the redhead all scratched up. Thanks for the pics.

FM
Old 05-29-2008, 11:24 PM
C5 XTC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Thscc @ Vir

David: it was nice finally getting to put a face to the famous David Farmer. Thanks for posting the pics, I am the VR #2 with the bra. To bad about the Ferrari that took a hit.
THSCC is always attended by a great group of people and usually a decent corvette turnout. I enjoy their events a lot and the folks that run the events do a great job; things run on time and 30 minute sessions really mean 30 minutes. Very good in car and classroom instructors.
Hope our paths cross again.
C5 XTC
Old 05-30-2008, 07:16 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 XTC
David: it was nice finally getting to put a face to the famous David Farmer. Thanks for posting the pics, I am the VR #2 with the bra. To bad about the Ferrari that took a hit.
THSCC is always attended by a great group of people and usually a decent corvette turnout. I enjoy their events a lot and the folks that run the events do a great job; things run on time and 30 minute sessions really mean 30 minutes. Very good in car and classroom instructors.
Hope our paths cross again.
C5 XTC

David is almost as famous as C5 XTC....
Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 AM
C5 XTC
Pro

Originally Posted by varkwso
David is almost as famous as C5 XTC....
ALMOST. But clearly none can compare to the FRC wizard whose literary talents for describing happenings at events is only overshadowed by his accomplishments on the track and...... under his car AT the track(????).....none other than VARKWSO!!!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
1. Had a Ferrari 360 crash badly in the rain Wednesday. I really love those cars, so that made me sad
Sorry to see not only a Ferrari damaged, but any one's car for that matter. It's an awful feeling

Kudos to the owner who still drove it despite the weather.

Where did the 360 go off?

Thanks for posting pics.

Mike
Old 05-30-2008, 10:33 AM
C5 XTC
Pro

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Sorry to see not only a Ferrari damaged, but any one's car for that matter. It's an awful feeling

Kudos to the owner who still drove it despite the weather.

Where did the 360 go off?

Thanks for posting pics.

Mike
Mike: I am pretty sure he went off on the "lower) esses and hit either the bridge or the armco by the bridge. Track was wet and apparently when he came out of T6A he gave it to much throttle and lost it. Look at the rear rim.
C5 XTC
Old 05-30-2008, 12:13 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

That's what I heared as well. The driver claims he rolled onto the throttle very gently, but the corner worker said it sounded like he really "romped" on it. Regardless, it was throttle induced oversteer coming out of the 6-6a...

My Yellow student ran one session on wet track, and it was his best session of the weekend. He really did a geat job of being "slow handed" and extremely smooth. He also learned to use all of the track, and not be afraid to track all the way out to the edges. Anyway, wet track is a great learning opportunity!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Anyway, wet track is a great learning opportunity!
I couldn't agree more. You can work on car control at much slower speeds as well.

The only thing I would caution is that using 'all of the track' when it's wet doesn't leave a lot of room for saving a car if you put a tire off in damp grass.

There's a reason we have million dollar corner at Autobahn.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:39 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 XTC
Mike: I am pretty sure he went off on the "lower) esses and hit either the bridge or the armco by the bridge. Track was wet and apparently when he came out of T6A he gave it to much throttle and lost it. Look at the rear rim.
C5 XTC
That corner is nick named "Viper Magnet" just for that reason. And where I put my car into the armco a few years ago too in the wet.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:13 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
That corner is nick named "Viper Magnet" just for that reason. And where I put my car into the armco a few years ago too in the wet.

I thought that was Road Atlanta
Old 05-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
I thought that was Road Atlanta
Hey, is there something Tom is not telling us? Maybe omitting a few incidents!?
Old 05-30-2008, 03:41 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

As David referenced in his opening post, my '08 ZO6 lost oil pressure while on track. I noticed the warning in the uphill esses, and by Oak Tree was beginning to feel the loss of power. I eased it back in, could hear a slight knock by then, and shut it down. Had a flat bed transport to the dealer. The SM just called, and it sounds like the car will be returned to Bowling Green next week for a new motor. About the only thing left for them to do at the dealer is a computer scan. I suppose that is to assure no over-rev situation from a missed shift or such, so I'm not concerned about it. He said metal was visible on the reservoir dipstick, so it is a definite major failure. He commented on the tire wear, so I'm sure the track use is obvious. And frankly, I'm not going to make any secret of it. The car was maintained properly, and never stressed beyond its design limits; shouldn't have happened. The SM mentioned an LS7 engine replacement "program", and read from a letter describing it. Guess mine is not the first. If any unexpected or problem developments occur, I will post an update.
Ed
Old 05-30-2008, 03:59 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz06
Hey, is there something Tom is not telling us? Maybe omitting a few incidents!?

Road Atlanta Turn 5 was number 3.

Viper Magnet VIR - lower esses in the rain was number 2. ( that was the one the drivers side mirror folded in and glass popped out and put a dent in my helmets chin guard then landed on the dash intact.

Number 1 .....
Old 05-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Number 1 .....
Hey,

Get back in here, class is not dismissed yet!

Get notified of new replies

To THSCC follow up from VIR

Old 05-30-2008, 06:50 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Short-throw, I'm referencing using all of the track AS NEEDED, as opposed to pinching a corner off and having the rear come around. It is much safer to use all of the track when needed, even if that means driving off in control, rather than pinching the corner too tightly and spinning off out of control.

Tom's mention of Rd Atlanta turn 5 is a perfect example of a corner with tons of runoff (paved, no less thanks to the cut through), yet many a car has been destroyed by trying to squeeze the corner too tightly.

Many of the track-out areas at VIR have raised curbings which will "catch you" if you track out to them.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

David - good to finally meet you at the track. Janet and I enjoyed talking with you about Corvettes, Racing, etc. Good to see other familiar faces and a few new forum member faces at the event. Mike
Old 05-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Short-throw, I'm referencing using all of the track AS NEEDED, as opposed to pinching a corner off and having the rear come around. It is much safer to use all of the track when needed, even if that means driving off in control, rather than pinching the corner too tightly and spinning off out of control.

Tom's mention of Rd Atlanta turn 5 is a perfect example of a corner with tons of runoff (paved, no less thanks to the cut through), yet many a car has been destroyed by trying to squeeze the corner too tightly.

Many of the track-out areas at VIR have raised curbings which will "catch you" if you track out to them.

David,

I understand and completely agree...thank you for the extra detail. I was just adding a bit extra, not changing anything you said.

Many don't realize you can slow quite a bit down by braking straight-line, even if it means going off, than trying to make the turn that isn't going to happen. I'd much rather go off slower....and have! :o

Mike

Quick Reply: THSCC follow up from VIR