Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running c6 autocross without wheel sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:19 PM
eaa1964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default running c6 autocross without wheel sensors?

I find that I need to use my 2007 daily driver (coupe) this weekend for an autocross. It definitely will not be the 2004 z06 but...I want to run.

Here is the deal. If I put my z06 18x10.5's Hoosiers on the c6 coupe, what is going to happen without tire sensors? will the car go into limp mode on me?

if it will go into limp mode, can I bypass this easily for one event?

Elizabeth
Old 07-08-2008, 10:32 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by eaa1964
I find that I need to use my 2007 daily driver (coupe) this weekend for an autocross. It definitely will not be the 2004 z06 but...I want to run.

Here is the deal. If I put my z06 18x10.5's Hoosiers on the c6 coupe, what is going to happen without tire sensors? will the car go into limp mode on me?

Elizabeth
I drive to events on my 710s without sensors all the time and have been away from my stock wheels (with the sensors) for 8 hrs or more without problems. I run the track with AH/TC off but have them on otherwise.

Your C6 may not be the dissapointment that you are thinking it may be compared to your C5Z06.

--Dan
Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 PM
eaa1964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info. but it will disaapoint...it is an automatic...and my z06 is a danny popp special. 2007 coupe is strictly stock including alignment. however, since z06 is broken, coupe will have to do...afterall, it is about the fun!!!!

Elizabeth
Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

thanks for the info. but it will disaapoint...it is an automatic...and my z06 is a danny popp special. 2007 coupe is strictly stock including alignment. however, since z06 is broken, coupe will have to do...afterall, it is about the fun!!!!

Elizabeth
The suspension will be a limitation but I've done quite well with my A6. It just might surprise you.

--Dan
Old 07-08-2008, 11:10 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you'll have to turn off AH/TC. with the sensors mission you can't put the car in comp. driving mode.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:30 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Elizabeth
I don't think you'll have any problems. I think you'll be able to turn off TC, go into Comp mode, or turn AH off completely without any problem if you have no sensors in any tires.

My experience has been that if you change out a couple of wheels, such as leave your street tire with sensors on the front and put on a set of Drag Radials on the rear with no sensors, then when you start driving faster than 20 mph the TPMS computer gets signals from the front sensors and is expecting to have the rear sensors send a signal. When the rear sensors don't send their data to the TPMS computer, within a minute or two of beginning to drive you'll get a message of defective sensors, a "Service Tire Monitor" message, and probably "Limit Speed to 55".

HOWEVER.....if you have NO sensors, when you start driving the system waits "approximately one hour" (according to the owner's manual) before deciding that you have a TPMS problem rather than a sensor problem. That's one ignition cycle - one hour of steady driving without turning off the ignition. After approximately one hour of driving with no sensors you'll get a "Service Tire Monitor" message and probably the limp-mode message "Limit Speed to 55".

If you have no sensors and are running in Comp mode or with AH completely off, after an hour of steady driving when you get the "Service Tire Monitor" message, the AH will automatically turn "ON". You can pull over, shut down the car, restart, clear any DIC messages, and you'll be able to again go into Comp mode or turn AH off for another hour.

So.....If you have no sensors at all, for Auto-x you should not have a problem going into Comp mode or turning AH off. At least that's my experience and knowledge of the system, YMMV!

Have fun running the C6. Like others have said, I think you'll be surprised how well a stock A6 car will do!

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To running c6 autocross without wheel sensors?

Quick Reply: running c6 autocross without wheel sensors?