Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASCAR, why do teh bodies seem to be twisted on the frame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:48 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default NASCAR, why do teh bodies seem to be twisted on the frame?

Okay, I have 20/10 vision and an HD TV. But when the NASCAR cars go down the straight, their bodies seem to be twisted on the frame/chassis to allow better aerodynamics? on left tunrs. Is it me? Or are they twisted tothe left?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Gatorac
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
Okay, I have 20/10 vision and an HD TV. But when the NASCAR cars go down the straight, their bodies seem to be twisted on the frame/chassis to allow better aerodynamics? on left tunrs. Is it me? Or are they twisted tothe left?
Someone found out they run faster offset like that. Now everyone has to do it.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:38 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

The COT cars are limited to a 1 degree track offset in the rear axle; earlier in the year teams figured out that about 2.5 degrees was optimum. Also, if you look at the Nationwide (previously Busch) series the bodies are actually hung off-axis quite a bit, which is what they used to do with the old Cup cars, because the templates had that much margin built into them. The COT templates are much more restrictive.

NASCAR didn't want the teams crabbing sideways down the straights, so they put in the 1 degree limit.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
The COT cars are limited to a 1 degree track offset in the rear axle; earlier in the year teams figured out that about 2.5 degrees was optimum. Also, if you look at the Nationwide (previously Busch) series the bodies are actually hung off-axis quite a bit, which is what they used to do with the old Cup cars, because the templates had that much margin built into them. The COT templates are much more restrictive.

NASCAR didn't want the teams crabbing sideways down the straights, so they put in the 1 degree limit.

Have a good one,
Mike

Sure looks like they didn't make it restrictive enough.

Bill
Old 08-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In layman's terms, the cars are flat on one side and curved on the other side. They aren't uniform on both sides!

Mike
Old 08-31-2008, 10:53 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

For being simple cars, they sure are built to the limits of the rules. I am still amazed at how they get negative camber on the rear axles.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:54 AM
jrmotorsports55
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It creates sideforce to help the handling.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I understand the 'twisted' setup on the tri-ovals where they essentially turn one direction but I can't imagine they'd keep such a radical offset on the rare occasions when they're on a road course. I'm not a huge NASCAR fan. I'll have to watch when they run a road course to see if their setup looks more 'balanced.'
Old 09-01-2008, 04:19 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I understand the 'twisted' setup on the tri-ovals where they essentially turn one direction but I can't imagine they'd keep such a radical offset on the rare occasions when they're on a road course. I'm not a huge NASCAR fan. I'll have to watch when they run a road course to see if their setup looks more 'balanced.'
They do run them square for road courses, or square enough (all road courses trend more left or right, so you could optimize one way if it made a difference in lap times) that they look correct.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-01-2008, 07:46 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I know most people on this forum consider NASCAR a form of WWF, but these guys really do remarkable things with the restrictive rules they are under. They are working hard to find .001 seconds here and there. I sure wish I had Greg Zipadelli or Chad Knauss helping me...
Old 09-01-2008, 08:48 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
They do run them square for road courses, or square enough (all road courses trend more left or right, so you could optimize one way if it made a difference in lap times) that they look correct.

Have a good one,
Mike
You can't optimize as much as you used to...you can't flip the panhard bar on the current Cup car, like you could on the old cars.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:38 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed this when watching the dirt track late model cars - the bodies don't even come close to fitting the chassis. Maybe a more extreme example of what you are describing.

Get notified of new replies

To NASCAR, why do teh bodies seem to be twisted on the frame?

Quick Reply: NASCAR, why do teh bodies seem to be twisted on the frame?