Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought a 99 FRC for a track car!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Bought a 99 FRC for a track car!!

This ebay auction is the same one that was in the C5 for sale section. I couldn't believe the price. I couldn't pass up the deal so I bought it for the $10,000 Buy it Now price- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting .

Even if it has some problems pretty much everything will be getting replaced so it was still a good deal I think.

I'm in Iraq right now and just bought it this morning at 4:30AM. I woke my dad up at 3:30
(he left me a message saying that my Corvette Racer/tuner shop buddy and him think I should buy it and to call him any time of the night) and after talking about it we did the Buy it Now and bought it at 4:30AM. The bids were at just about $8,000 with 14 bids. I can't wait to see it in person. We have friends of the family out in CA that we have visited a few times that are only a few hours from the car. The guy used to own a Mustang Cobra and said he could pick it up and keep it at his house for awhile until my Dad can fly out there and drive it the 2,000 miles home. I probably will drive it once or twice and then start making it into the FULL racecar that I bought it for.

I am building the car for the Cannonball Run:One Lap of America and also for NASA: Super Touring Unlimited. Both are anything goes racing classes.

My engine is almost finished now. It was supposed to go in the C4 racecar but now it will go in the Fixed Roof Coupe. I had a Forged 442ci LS-7 built that will make at least 700 hp 650tq and at least 600rwhp and 550rwtq...add that to a 2800 pound car and it should be pretty quick. I will be gutting this car fully, full roll cage and race interior, new race wheels(black for sure ), 72" wing, full suspension upgrades, Lexan windows, New carbon fiber hood, removing headlights and replacing with light weight DOT fixed ones, ect... I can't wait to tear into it and start modding it!! I will be parting this FRC out and trying to make back some of the money. This is going to be a fun next year!!

The little truck spoiler lip will be getting taken off and a new rear put on and the old rear sold with that little lip thing.

I will keep the C4 and use it as a back up car/ daily driver/ occasional track car and I will let my Dad drive it at the track whenever he wants. For those that don't know about the C4 it is fully gutted (2800 pounds) with 2 aluminum race seats, lightweight hood and lexan rear window, has a 6 spd with some goodies, Headers and full 3 inch exhaust, and 2 sets of CCW classics with 335 Hoosier's and another set of street rims. Here's some pics: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3246460

Oh and last week my parents bought a new motorhome to haul the race trailer and the car around with:

Catepilar 12 Liter engine making 430hp and 1650tq. It has a 40,000 pound hitch.

BTW my Dad has a 86 with a 383 and a Turbo 400/gear vendors overdrive and a bunch of other stuff. Him and I both participate in track events together but the FRC will be our main focus.

MAN I AM SOOOO PUMPED RIGHT NOW!!!! Can't wait to get home and tear into this car and go racing again!!!

Last edited by Git Er Dun; 03-10-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:00 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats, enjoy.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:01 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good snag, be safe and come back in 1 piece so you can enjoy that thing.

Keep us posted on the progress
Old 03-10-2009, 08:04 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Eric,
Congrats on the car!!! Dad, good call on the new tow rig! Both of them are very nice

Gun up, head down and get your azz back home

Randy
Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All around nice setup - it has come a long way from the once in a great while phone calls if you were lucky and two week old letters from deployed locations. Keep it safe
Old 03-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Nice purchase!

Make it home safe.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

From one former 88M to a current one...CONGRATS!!!

Bob
Old 03-10-2009, 10:38 PM
bgx12
Advanced

Good looking FRC! That is a nice price man. You will love that thing on the track.

Be careful.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 585 Likes on 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Good snag, be safe and come back in 1 piece so you can enjoy that thing.

Keep us posted on the progress
Except I would say you got a GREAT DEAL!

God Speed to you on a fast and safe return home!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:27 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn good deal sounds like you are in for some fun this summer!!

how big of trailer do you guy tow?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:31 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

i think i have seen u guys at mam before otherwise at windom mn autocross
Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Congrats, Eric! You got a screamin deal there and it sounds like it will be a monster!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:52 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome deal Eric, can't wait to see you out with us all.

Aaron
Old 03-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

My Dad and I did go to MAM last spring with the MN Firebird/Camaro guys for a 2 day HPDE. We did not have our trailer at the time and took the Boos Performance trailer. It was my first time on R compounds so it was a good track to try to learn their limits a little bit. Here's a pic of the car at MAM:

We participate in a lot of the Suburban Corvettes of MN events. I plan on going to a lot more tracks once this car is trackable.

Here's the old rig:

The old motorhome is now for sale and is priced at $15,000. It is 32ft and has a 454. We bought it for $20K and put at least $5K into it. Anyone that wants a great Class A feel free to PM me for more details on it and I can give you my Dad's number to talk more about it.

The Trailer is 30.5ft from end to end. It is all aluminum. We did the floor ourselves and my Dad also added new tie down points that make it easier to tie down the C4 inside it. Here's some pics of it:

Here's some pics from the last track weekend before I left for Iraq. The red World Challenge car was hand built by John Boos the owner/mechanic of Boos Performance. He placed 3rd overall in the 02 One Lap of America in a 86 Coupe with a 383 and 2nd overall in the 03 race in a silver C5Z06 with a 427. My Dad and I did all the work on the C4 but for the C5 we are going to have John do the work. I am going to go over the road truck driving when I get home and won't have enough time to do the wrenching all the time I don't think anymore. John is also an EXCELLENT builder so I am happy to have him do the work. My Dad and I will still probably lend a hand with a few things but for the most part John will be the lead builder. Here's the pics from that track weekend:

Here's a few pics from Iraq too:

I drive normal 18 wheeler semi's in Iraq too but most of the time I drive the HETS. HETS stands for Heavy Equipment Transport System and is manufactured by Oshkosh and is the biggest wheeled vehicle the military has. It is a truck designed to haul oversized and really heavy vehicles...Mainly Tanks but we also transport cranes and a lot of the convoy security vehicles because the turret makes them to high on a flat bed and they have a very high center of gravity so our 12ft wide trailer is a good way to haul them. It is 89,000 pounds empty and can weigh up to 240,000+ pounds with a tank on the back. It has a V8 Detrioit making 500hp. It is 6X6 wheel drive but can be locked into 8X8 and also has low transfer in case you really try to get it stuck. The front tires are up to my chest and the trailer has 40 tires on it. There is 2 sets of duals per axle (it's not actually an axle it's called a bogey) and there are 5 Bogeys per side so basically the whole deck is supported with tires under it. It's all hydrolic and the 2nd-5th bogeys all steer to turn the trailer around turns. It really is a pretty cool truck to drive:

I also learned how to drive tanks so I can load them on and off of our trucks:

They have road work on the main highway right now. I guess someone at night didn't realize there was a giant hole in the highway...bet they know now :

THANKS for all the support guys!!!! I am sure I will see some of you guys at the track sometime. If you recognize me feel free to introduce yourself. -Eric
Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,406 Likes on 753 Posts

Super catch on the hardtop! Thanks for serving, as said before, Gun Up, Head/Tail Down, and Come Home Safe!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! Looks like a great deal.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:59 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

great purchase and awesome new rig you guys have there thats defiantly going in style

Personally looking for a nice diesel pusher motorhome myself

Get notified of new replies

To Just Bought a 99 FRC for a track car!!

Old 03-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 91 Posts

Hey Eric. Nice setup with the trailer, car, and motorhome. That will be easy to drive after driving those big rigs in Iraq.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Thanks a lot Ron and others. I can't wait to drive through that Brainerd gate with this completely different set up
Old 03-11-2009, 04:26 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Nice fleet you got going there

Quick Reply: Just Bought a 99 FRC for a track car!!