Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race classes/clubs defined?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:26 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Race classes/clubs defined?

Hi all, I'm an avid HPDE (3) guy but I'm trying to get a better handle on all the events you guys go to and what all the classes are and the car requirements for those classes i.e T1, PTA, TT, ST1, ST2 etc and also what clubs are out there ...NASA, SCCA etc.

I read through all the threads and wonder what weight or mods you can and cant do for each class.. coles notes are fine, just trying to learn more.

I dont think my car would fit in any cuz its a vert even with a 6pt welded bar in it. TIA

Steve
Old 06-28-2009, 05:43 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

NASA is Power to wt ratio.

PTA
ST1 ( super touring 1)
ST2
SU

SCCA
T1
SPO
ST ( not many of these )

best go to each web site and the region you live in and down load the technical rules

David Farmer has a NASA ST2 car with no top, but a roll cage. He calls it Vettmeno or el Com vette

Do you want to continue to do HPDEs or get into W2W racing?

What Canadian racing organizations are there in Onterio ?

Last edited by AU N EGL; 06-28-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:52 AM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

PTA
ST1 ( super touring 1)
ST2
SU

SCCA
T1
SPO
ST ( not many of these )

best go to each web site and the region you live in and down load the technical rules

David Farmer has a NASA ST2 car with no top, but a roll cage. He calls it Vettmeno or el Com vette

Is NASA just power/weight? I thought there was a rather confusing multi-page list that adds points and changes your class.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:11 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PT classes have a points system the asses points to your mods. The ST classes have mods you are allowed to make and then it is just power to weight that puts you in a class.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:05 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CASC-OR: http://www.casc.on.ca/roadRace.php

They used to class cars based on the lap times the car+driver combo turned on one of the Shannonville Motorsport Park configurations rather than based on modifications or HP:wt ... they had some "break out" rules if you turned a faster lap during practice/qualifying/race.

Just like SCCA and NASA I don't believe they would turn away a convertible -- but it would need an appropriate cage and they *may* want arm restraints like the formula cars. Check the rule book!

Looking quickly at the web page I posted above it looks like they still class based on lap times so everybody has a place to run competitively.

I spent a bunch of time with the Motorsports Club of Ottawa. There's also a Kingston group that's great (St. LAC), and several Toronto groups I'm not familiar with.

You're in a great location with Mosport, Shannonville, Mt Tremblant, Trois Rivers, etc...
Old 06-28-2009, 04:30 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

PTA
ST1 ( super touring 1)
ST2
SU

SCCA
T1
SPO
ST ( not many of these )

Right now just HPDE, I enjoy tons of track time as I gain experience . I'd like to get more confident before I decide to go W2W and also be ready for the added expense. I have always just wondered if I were to enter my car as is... where it belongs?

There are SoloSprints which is more TT. and CASC http://www.casc.on.ca/ Im sure there are more as well

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
The PT classes have a points system the asses points to your mods. The ST classes have mods you are allowed to make and then it is just power to weight that puts you in a class.
So which class is it where you have to run stock brakes and wheel sizes? And what is the T1 class/car?

and are there power to weight cutoffs or restrictions? I imagine that you could have a LOT of classes, what are the cutoff ranges? lets say I'm 430/3100 do they actually measure it like .138 and then put me in a .130 -.180 class then adjust for mods within that range by using points?

Originally Posted by gkmccready
CASC-OR: http://www.casc.on.ca/roadRace.php

They used to class cars based on the lap times the car+driver combo turned on one of the Shannonville Motorsport Park configurations rather than based on modifications or HP:wt ... they had some "break out" rules if you turned a faster lap during practice/qualifying/race.

Just like SCCA and NASA I don't believe they would turn away a convertible -- but it would need an appropriate cage and they *may* want arm restraints like the formula cars. Check the rule book!

Looking quickly at the web page I posted above it looks like they still class based on lap times so everybody has a place to run competitively.

I spent a bunch of time with the Motorsports Club of Ottawa. There's also a Kingston group that's great (St. LAC), and several Toronto groups I'm not familiar with.

You're in a great location with Mosport, Shannonville, Mt Tremblant, Trois Rivers, etc...
I assume you could play a bit of a game doing lap time classes, no? Thanks for the clubs you listed, I added them to my bookmarks. I started at Shannonville 3 years ago but now almost all my days are at Mosport as its only an hour away from me, we run there every other week. I'm too loud to run at Tremblant but also only a few hours from Calabogie and the Glen. Just wish I could do this year round.

Last edited by GettReal; 06-28-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:17 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GettReal
I assume you could play a bit of a game doing lap time classes, no? Thanks for the clubs you listed, I added them to my bookmarks. I started at Shannonville 3 years ago but now almost all my days are at Mosport as its only an hour away from me, we run there every other week. I'm too loud to run at Tremblant but also only a few hours from Calabogie and the Glen. Just wish I could do this year round.
No more "games" than a HP:weight formula or just building to the very limits of the rules. You run too fast and you're DQ'd. Just like if you weigh too little, or put down too much power. It's just another way of trying to group like performance vehicles into a class.

The real trick for you will be figuring out what safety equipment is required. That's probably all you're missing. Then remember w2w means it's even less likely you'll be driving the car home from the track... :-)

I think CASC-OR and MCO both run yearly (or even more frequently now?) licensing schools. Way back when you didn't even need a race prep'd car to take the school. Not sure if that's true any more.

I don't think CASC-OR ventures to the Glen, but I seem to remember that SCCA will accept a CASC-OR license for a regional race (but the car will obviously need to get an SCCA logbook).

Get yourself an CASC-OR rulebook. Hop on their forums and find out what's available. CASC-OR used to have a popular Solo I series that was a no-passing average of 3 hot laps deal, too, if you're not wanting to w2w right away.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:54 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to check out COMSCC as well. They usually have at least one Canadian event (used to have more but the economy has hurt people's willingness to travel) and they always do a WGI event. They run 2-day events with Time Trias on day 2.

Get notified of new replies

To Race classes/clubs defined?

Quick Reply: Race classes/clubs defined?