Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen with Lou G

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Watkins Glen with Lou G

Just got back from Watkins Glen with trackmasters. Lou had come up with the GT2 car to do some testing and a BUNCH of Corvette's were on site in support!

I only stayed for one day, but it was a nice cool dry day with a decent amount of track time. Lou and the gang were busy working on the car most of the morning, but got out for some laps in the afternoon.

It was fun to be on the track with Lou, and while I am sure he was not pushing...it was interesting to see the speed difference with the car...oh and THAT SOUND!

Here are some pics!

Lou's ZR1

Lou setting it up...

Lou and myself...

Last edited by 95jersey; 09-01-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:38 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

You got to learn from the master
Old 09-01-2009, 10:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting rear diffuser
Old 09-01-2009, 10:43 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

any Lou G ZR-1 lap times?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,768 Likes on 945 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Very cool! I wish I could have been there!

So Lou, hows the car feel? Ready to conquer Petit?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:54 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard

Any Lou G ZR-1 lap times?
I think he brought the ZR-1 to play and get a sign off for the open track. Most of his time was spent with the GT2 car.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Matt you should have taken better pictures from the ground level. I missed being able to go by one day to watch and hang out it's been a while
Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

waiting for the video of a ZR1 hopping over wood blocks bolted to the pavement...
Old 09-01-2009, 08:13 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by longdaddy
waiting for the video of a ZR1 hopping over wood blocks bolted to the pavement...
Old 09-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Lou was great. He took time out from his project to help some of the other Corvette owners. Today he did a quick track alignment check for me and found out the thrust angle and rear toe weren't correct so he and Louis changed the settings for me. That corrected a handling problem I had been having in the esses where the car wanted to step sideways as I was on the power in Turn 3. Thanks Guys.

My car is the blue Z in the garage to the right of Lou's car. Lou passed me a couple of times on the track. Once in the GT2 car between 1 and 2 and once in the ZR1 coming out of 4. Lou says the ZR1 is actually faster on the straight than the GT2 car due to the higher horsepower.

I have some pictures and video I have to get transfered from the cameras. I spent some time watching on the front straight and it was quite impressive to see Lou come out of 11 at speed and go down the straight. He was on the throttle until after he disappeared from sight over the hill. Don't know how far he went before braking but I am pretty sure he was past the 300 ft marker. Except for the formula cars I don't think I saw anybody else going that deep.

Bill
Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Lou says the ZR1 is actually faster on the straight than the GT2 car due to the higher horsepower.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:28 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

I agree! Not a wing or a typical diffuser. Saw something like it on the Corvette C6R2's. Love to know the aero affect of this.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:44 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 96solo
I agree! Not a wing or a typical diffuser. Saw something like it on the Corvette C6R2's. Love to know the aero affect of this.
my guess more downforce in the rear. Look at the angle as the air exits the car. Can;t see what it looks like from the rear but it may straighten the air to exit the rear faster by reducing turbulence. Any more shots?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:53 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Shiels
my guess more downforce in the rear. Look at the angle as the air exits the car. Can;t see what it looks like from the rear but it may straighten the air to exit the rear faster by reducing turbulence. Any more shots?
I had asked LG about Riley vs P&M rear diffusers in a previous thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1571046291-post39.html
Old 09-02-2009, 09:10 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels

Matt you should have taken better pictures from the ground level. I missed being able to go by one day to watch and hang out it's been a while
In my infinite wisdom, I meant to bring my real camera and get some on track video's as well as detailed pictures, but when I got the track, I realized I left my camera hooked up to my computer in NJ:o

So, these were done with my iPhone. There were lots of folks snapping pictures, so hopefully we see some more pics posted by other forum members.

It was also nice to finally meet Anthony as well. I've talked to him about 100x's on the phone, so finally nice to put a face to a name. They were SO busy so I didn't want to bug him too much, but I did bust his stones to get the car on the track and out of the garage

Anthony, if you read this...it was great to finally meet you, still need to make a decision on those Stoptechs
Old 09-02-2009, 09:53 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll need to check my on track video. I think I have Lou dusting me down the back straight. My car is the Silver C5 next to the LG crew in the above pictures. Like Bill said, the whole crew was extremely nice and took substantial time away from their days to talk/work with the other corvette owners. It was real nice to finally meet Lou, Anthony, Luis, and Jeff.

If Lou didn't go so damn fast down the straight, carry the speed into the corners, and then make it stick...I think I could have hung with him

Keith
Old 09-02-2009, 08:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by joemoia
I had asked LG about Riley vs P&M rear diffusers in a previous thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1571046291-post39.html
I see a tad more but the screen blocks it. LG said it has as rear under-tray feeding it. So easy to do all this with side exhaust. Any pictures of the P&M?

Get notified of new replies

To Watkins Glen with Lou G

Old 09-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Finally got my pictures and video ready to show:

Pictures of ZR1:

GT2 Car:

Video's:
Car Set Up:

Track Session 1:

Track Session 2:

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 09-03-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:14 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is some in-car video. Two laps in about 4:26 with traffic (all faster than me ). On the second lap Lou passes me going into the bus stop. I decided to try his line into 5...not the best idea I ever had. My car would not stick, while Lou just gets on the gas. Think I'll stick to HPDE. Those little cars are either Radicals or West, all sub 2 minutes at WGI.

Dusted by Lou

This next video comes just after a black flag. The track is virtually traffic free except for the nicely piloted red C6Z in front of me that I could not catch. Per Lou's pit crew I made an alignment adjustment that yielded the fastest times I ever ran at the Glen.

Chasing the C6
Old 09-04-2009, 01:31 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagvette
Here is some in-car video. Two laps in about 4:26 with traffic (all faster than me ). On the second lap Lou passes me going into the bus stop. I decided to try his line into 5...not the best idea I ever had. My car would not stick, while Lou just gets on the gas. Think I'll stick to HPDE. Those little cars are either Radicals or West, all sub 2 minutes at WGI.

Dusted by Lou

This next video comes just after a black flag. The track is virtually traffic free except for the nicely piloted red C6Z in front of me that I could not catch. Per Lou's pit crew I made an alignment adjustment that yielded the fastest times I ever ran at the Glen.

Chasing the C6

wicked pictures and vids guys...BUT Keith??? WTF did you do to your car that made you run a 2:09 Holy S*** It was fun chasing you last time, but you would have walked me with those times..Nice

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen with Lou G