Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:37 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade???

I want to upgrade my brakes due to the increase in power I recently added...

I have a 09 Z51 (procharger) 500rwhp...after returning from gingerman yesterday (first time after procharger installed) I noticed that I was going alot faster at end of the straights as compared to pre-procharger runs. Yes I know..brake earlier..but I was wondering what is a good upgrade (if possible) with stock wheels.

tx

trapp
Old 09-08-2009, 09:44 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by trapp
I want to upgrade my brakes due to the increase in power I recently added...

I have a 09 Z51 (procharger) 500rwhp...after returning from gingerman yesterday (first time after procharger installed) I noticed that I was going alot faster at end of the straights as compared to pre-procharger runs. Yes I know..brake earlier..but I was wondering what is a good upgrade (if possible) with stock wheels.

tx

trapp
Seriously consider new wheels as almost nothing truly competent will fit under the stockers.

San
Old 09-08-2009, 11:04 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oldmansan
Seriously consider new wheels as almost nothing truly competent will fit under the stockers.

San
I'm learning there is no CHEAP way around this....
Old 09-08-2009, 11:24 PM
MartyZ51
Instructor

It's just $3.2k and a call to CCW standing between you and a set of 18 rims that will fit your future brake upgrade!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:26 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by MartyZ51
It's just $3.2k and a call to CCW standing between you and a set of 18 rims that will fit your future brake upgrade!
And the CCW wheels will fit 15" rotors in the front, even ZR1 rotors (although I wouldn't recommend them). 14" rotors are all you'll ever need IMHO.

San
Old 09-09-2009, 07:25 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MartyZ51
Plus $6K for set of StopTech brakes
Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
If you going to spend that kind of $$$ talk to Gary @ Hardbar

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...tive-****.html

Originally Posted by ghoffman
These are the first set of AP's Radi-Cal calipers in the USA that are presently being used in the DTM (German Touring Car) Series. They weigh 6.4 pounds each, have 25mm thick pads and have an air bridge that goes over the top of the caliper and cools the outside face of the rotor and caliper. I will post more later when they are mounted on my car. The red caliper shown is the big (8 pounds) Brembo. A version of this was used by Tony Stewart to win at the Glen.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Bahnzii
Racer

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham

I saw that thread when Gary first posted it, those really are brake caliper ****!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Bahnzii
Racer

To the OP...

Have you already done the basic brake mods??

Cooling ducts, track pads like Hawk, Carbotech or Cobalt, stainless lines and better fluid (ATE, Motul, Castrol)??

I've been with some very fast drivers using stock C6 brakes and with all of the mods listed above they had great "whoa" power

Trying to save you some mod money since the BBK route for non-Z06 C6's is more expensive since the stock wheels won't clear a bigger caliper - - that I know of
Old 09-11-2009, 01:15 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham

Those calipers and brackets are $3K a corner. No rotors, pads or air bridges. I'd assume no lines as well.

That's serious money and not in the same league as Stoptech, Brembo, or "normal" AP. For many they're unobtanium due to cost.

San
Old 09-11-2009, 12:19 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd be curious how the ZR1 brakes compare to the AP/DTM's. I'd think it would be cheaper to get the ZR1 brakes. I just don't think anyone knows at this point how long they will stand up to repeated track use.

Back to the OP. I think a lot depends on how many track days you plan on doing. If it is just a few now and then - going with track pads like Hawk, Carbotech or Cobalt, stainless lines and better fluid (as stated by Bahnzii above) - maybe different rotors might be the best route. Plus you would not have to buy new rims. If you plan on doing a fair amount of tracking and want the big brakes - you could put on either the brembos or stoptechs up front to start. Again, you have to buy new rims. This would be a more expensive route.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:26 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AtomicZ
I'd be curious how the ZR1 brakes compare to the AP/DTM's. I'd think it would be cheaper to get the ZR1 brakes. I just don't think anyone knows at this point how long they will stand up to repeated track use.
They dont. Not even close. The carbon rotors and pads are for street use and occasional track use. forget late braking. Not hard track use.

the StopTech BBK are a far better investment then the ZR1 brakes. I have a few videos of a C6Z, with Stoptech brakes on Hoosiers chasing the ZR1 around Road America. The C6Z would catch the ZR1 in the brake zones all the time. Out of the corner, well the ZR1 had the advantage there somewhat.

When I drove the ZR1 at Road America, I though I was never going to stop the car going into T5 from about 150 mph.

My Stock C5 Calipers with Wilwood H or PFC-01 brake pad did a far better stopping then the ZR1 brakes.

or a set or AP Racing from DRM or Robert in Chicago. Think Gary can get some APRacing calipers other then the DTMs too

Last edited by AU N EGL; 09-11-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 PM
flycastinguy
Racer

Modding Lesson #1 ... The Trickle-Down Effect. It's not possible to upgrade your brakes just by buying a BBK. My Brembos are still on the shelf waiting for wheel and tire money!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:32 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by flycastinguy
Modding Lesson #1 ... The Trickle-Down Effect. It's not possible to upgrade your brakes just by buying a BBK. My Brembos are still on the shelf waiting for wheel and tire money!
Many times just toss the old Stock C5 Calipers each winter and buy a new C6 set of calipers and race pads.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:22 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They dont. Not even close. The carbon rotors and pads are for street use and occasional track use. forget late braking. Not hard track use.

the StopTech BBK are a far better investment then the ZR1 brakes. I have a few videos of a C6Z, with Stoptech brakes on Hoosiers chasing the ZR1 around Road America. The C6Z would catch the ZR1 in the brake zones all the time. Out of the corner, well the ZR1 had the advantage there somewhat.

When I drove the ZR1 at Road America, I though I was never going to stop the car going into T5 from about 150 mph.

My Stock C5 Calipers with Wilwood H or PFC-01 brake pad did a far better stopping then the ZR1 brakes.

or a set or AP Racing from DRM or Robert in Chicago. Think Gary can get some APRacing calipers other then the DTMs too
Thanks for the insight. I have the brembo 14" fronts and 13.4" rears. Couldn't be happier. I agree with you on T5 at Road America - I can be over 160 mph if I am pushing and you don't want any brake issues there.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:35 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

I've never driven a ZR1 before but I can attest to the fact that the PFC-01 pads you mentioned along with DRM/LG brake cooling parts, Motul AP600 fluid, and stainless lines offer far more capability than some realize. When I first installed PFC-01's on stock C5Z calipers I was shocked at the night & day difference between them and the the C5Z, C6 or even C6Z stock pads.

I have Baer "6S Extreme" BBK on my street car and it is absolutely terrific for .....no squealing, extremely low dusting and great stopping power for my supercharged 708rwhp....but still not the tenacity of race pads on stock calipers with effective cooling mods.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:42 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

The scuttlebutt at Carlise, when talking to some of the performance shops (i.e. LG) was indeed the same thing - not too good for track work. So, other than being "Carbon" (oooh, ahhh) what advantage do they offer?

Get notified of new replies

To Brake upgrade???

Old 09-11-2009, 04:51 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

They don't squeak.

Hell you cant hear them at all. which I dont like
Old 09-11-2009, 05:42 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by argonaut
The scuttlebutt at Carlise, when talking to some of the performance shops (i.e. LG) was indeed the same thing - not too good for track work. So, other than being "Carbon" (oooh, ahhh) what advantage do they offer?
Very long life, coefficiency and extremely lightweight.

San
Old 09-11-2009, 06:41 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oldmansan
Very long life, coefficiency and extremely lightweight.

San
relatively light wt. The 19" and 20" rims more then made up that difference

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade???