Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Design?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:30 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Track Design?

After reading Dean's post a couple of weeks ago about an accident he was involed in as an instructor, I have a couple of questions.
I have only driven on 2 different tracks, both have at least one negative camber corner and one had two rises; one rise immediately followed by a negative camber corner and one by a heavy breaking zone. Why?
In either case, the lay of the land didn't require these elements to be included in the design. It seeems to me to include things in the design that intentionally upset the car's stability, is bad design at best and dangerous at worst. I know it can test a driver's ability to keep the car under control, but to do this with walls involved, as in Dean's case, is not necessary. Can you not test a driver's skill without putting them in excess danger?
I'm rather new to tracking and there could be perfectly reasonable explanations, I just don't know what they are.
Comments please.

Last edited by dfinke23; 10-01-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:41 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've never been to Watkins Glen... talk about high speed and negative camber with big walls.

I think these turns should definately be on a road courses, as a well set up car and good driver make all the difference in getting through them quickly, but there is no excuse for walls that are too close to the track.

Heck, I drove a new track Monticello for the first time and I think the barriers were closer than at the Glen and that is a new track!!!

I've always said, it would be a dream to drive on a real F1 grade course with football fields of gravel and run-off.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:18 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Every track is different. Heck every day on the same track can be different.

That is partly where the learning curve and skill comes in.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:27 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's really important for a new driver to learn where to push and where not to. Our home track, I give up 2 seconds a lap on turn 2. It's just not worth it at my level.

Randy
The following users liked this post:
NSFW (06-19-2020)
Old 10-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
You've never been to Watkins Glen... talk about high speed and negative camber with big walls.

I think these turns should definately be on a road courses, as a well set up car and good driver make all the difference in getting through them quickly, but there is no excuse for walls that are too close to the track.

Heck, I drove a new track Monticello for the first time and I think the barriers were closer than at the Glen and that is a new track!!!

I've always said, it would be a dream to drive on a real F1 grade course with football fields of gravel and run-off.
The glen is a lot more intimidating though. All you see is Blue walls and it really seems to break your concentration. Monticello is more like Lime Rock you don’t notice it as much.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:59 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Lan.Jet
The glen is a lot more intimidating though. All you see is Blue walls and it really seems to break your concentration. Monticello is more like Lime Rock you don’t notice it as much.
Yep, Monticello- that downhill straight, I couldn't keep my foot in it as much as I should.... tire wall straight ahead!!

The left hander after the start finish was a bit intimidating too, off camber exit, over a rise, with all sorts of skid marks heading to the wall/woods!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:05 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

there are always those nicely banked, gently curving nascar tracks if that's your thing....

the walls are neccesary - they protect spectators, cars on the other sections of the track and can actually prevent really bad accidents by stopping the car before it goes off to really bad places. i would rather brush a wall as a shallow angle than fly off downhill into the trees or even worse, into a paddock with parked cars and spectators!

off-camber corners are great - they allow you to experiment with traction limits at lower (and safer) speeds.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:17 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're right! why don't they eliminate the corners altogether and just race in a straight line!

wait, even better, let's just put the cars on side-by-side dyno's, best man wins!!!
Old 10-03-2009, 07:00 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
you're right! why don't they eliminate the corners altogether and just race in a straight line!

wait, even better, let's just put the cars on side-by-side dyno's, best man wins!!!
Oh come on mouse. That info is over in the OTHER forum sections. and LS1tech is all about that.

But you know that
Old 10-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

The Glen is awesome, I love it

I did Nurburgring this year which is the original bad azz dangerous track

Its like a giant, scarier Glen

Its a lot narrower than modern tracks, has its bumpy bits and very little run off. Most of it has cliffs that either go down or rise up on either side and lots of trees. You go off and you wont be happy

Tracks are meant to challenge drivers in old tracks like the Ring and the Glen this was more important than safety back then

Modern tracks are very different, they can be challenging but not as challenging as the old monsters. They also have acres of run off and are much, much safer. Also the new tracks are designed for modern high downforce cars which didnt exist back in the 20s when the Ring was built
Old 10-03-2009, 11:30 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
Tracks are meant to challenge drivers in old tracks like the Ring and the Glen this was more important than safety back then
True, but also cars just didn't handle as well back then and tires were terrible. Cornering speeds weren't as high as they are today.

I used to lament those awful corners with close-in walls as well, but after crashing a half dozen times (I'm a slow learner) I have a better understanding of both mine and the car's limits and just dial it back, and enjoy the challenge.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:34 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Every track brings different challenges.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:21 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mousecatcher

I guess I need to clarify. My point was why put walls next to parts of the track that upset the car when it is not necessary, in areas where no spectator protection is needed and there are no dangerous off-track elements to protect the drivers from?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
I guess I need to clarify. My point was why put walls next to parts of the track that upset the car when it is not necessary, in areas where no spectator protection is needed and there are no dangerous off-track elements to protect the drivers from?
Safety wasn't even on the radar until Jackie Stewart started an F1 drivers strike in 67 to demand more safety measures. Since then things have gotten a lot better

If they do that on a new track, which is unlikely, its just bad design
Old 10-04-2009, 04:46 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

many times that is just the way it is. ie no run off room

If you want a NEW bad design track look at Starke Fl

Watch for the WALLS

Or even Mid-Ohio and Joey Hands BMW accident. No walls, no spectators, only a berm to protect a ditch

Last edited by AU N EGL; 10-04-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:45 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dfinke23
well that did not seem to be the gist of your original post, but on those old tracks where safety was an afterthought, cars used to crash into the woods ... usu. resulting in a fatality. i prefer to have a tire wall which destroys the car (as intended) and absorbs the impact rather than just open runoff into the woods!

usu. tracks can't improve the runoff areas due to lack of funding. hell, even laguna seca almost went under a few years ago. thankfully motogp and some interested parties gave it a rebirth.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:18 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

wrong thread, delete.

Last edited by BaylorCorvette; 06-16-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:22 AM
PSU_Vette
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

If you are on the west coast, Willow Springs offers plenty of runoff. I wouldn't want to see the car after it happens, but you have far less of hitting something...

It's also a fairly simple layout/design, so it doesn't take as long to learn the line. Not saying I'm fast at it, but it was far easier to learn than others....

Last edited by PSU_Vette; 06-20-2020 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:43 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

I have raced 27 tracks in the country. I like all the variety and challenges. Each has its own character and danger and that's what makes them fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Design?

Quick Reply: Track Design?