Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick question about forced induction and HPDE's/auto-x

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Hellspawn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default quick question about forced induction and HPDE's/auto-x

I know FI is not ideal for HPDE's due to temp issues, but for car (2002 z06) that sees only 1-3 HPDEs/track days a year, would an A&A supercharger still be viable? Purely for fun, not competitive (Willow springs BTW).

If you monitor your temps, and take a short break when things get warm, even if it's only 3-4 laps at a time, that should be fine right? And for auto-x there should be no problem at all I assume?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

The biggest problem with autocross will be throttle control. In most autocrosses you only come close to using the full power of a stock C5Z on one short straight. Depending on the autocross you might hit 50 in low gear or close to 70 in second. The rest of the autocross is quick stabs on the throttle to move through a slalom or series of gates/turns. If your supercharger is adding a lot of power at those points and making it difficult to control the rear of the car it may actually make you go slower.

Bill
Old 10-12-2009, 04:51 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If you have one on, that would be fine

But if your THINKING about putting one then doing HPDEs or AUTO-X dont.

Do a few HPDEs or AUTO-Xs first before any modifications to see what you really think.

Most guys with supercharges have bigger problems then cooling, called stopping.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Hellspawn
Instructor

^Fair point to be sure, would probably do brake cooling mods, brake lines, fluid, and pads. Probably would not be enough to stave off all brake fade, but I guess that would make TWO reasons to take a small break after every 3-4 laps, engine temps AND brake fade haha

Previously owned a 430rwhp LS1 FD RX-7 trapped at 126-127mph. Never got around to doing any HPDE's, but did auto-x it.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:29 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

3-4 laps then your break and guess what, your session is done. but the time your ready to get back out, no more for that session. Sessions are 20 to 30 min long

Speed on the straights is for newbies, speed and control though corners, is for real drivers.

and once brakes fade, your almost done for the DAY, or unitll you bleed the brakes and possible change brake pads.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:32 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
3-4 laps then your break and guess what, your session is done. but the time your ready to get back out, no more for that session. Sessions are 20 to 30 min long

Speed on the straights is for newbies, speed and control though corners, is for real drivers.

and once brakes fade, your almost done for the DAY, or unitll you bleed the brakes and possible change brake pads.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Hellspawn
Instructor

Indeed. Supercharger is for street fun, not for the track.

At willow springs with speed ventures, my brother went a few times, each time he did three 20-30min sessions of 10-12 laps, took an hour break between. So this is what I was basing my question off of I suppose...
Old 10-12-2009, 06:09 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem at all if you have a good tune and good brakes. Of course I wouldn't put one on if you are planning to primarily do roadcourses or autocross. But for a fun street/strip car that occasionally does hpde and auto-x it should be fine. Just make sure you get all your belts aligned and tensioned perfectly so they don't get shredded or pop off at high rpms or hard shifting.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Despite what many people on this forum would like you to believe, it is possible to track an FI vette on a regular basis.
I'm about to do my 7th HPDE of the year at the end of this month, all with excellent results.

if you're only looking to do a few events per year, like you said, I think you would be fine.

it wouldn't be a bad idea however to do the standard upgrades that all corvette owners who track their car on a regular basis do. those would be a bigger rad, oil cooler, brake ducts & better pads.
once those basic mods are done, assuming your car is in good mechanical condition to start with, you should be able to run for 30 minute sessions if you want to.

for autox, you probably won't win any national titles in a SC vette, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a ton-o-fun.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Hellspawn
Instructor

Thanks for the input fellas!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm putting one one mine, but I'm back in the Northeast.

Saw a C5 with a Maggie on it up at NHMS, he did pretty good.

After all the new ZR-1 has one

WillowSprings is HOT though!

Take the time and upgrade your cooling system.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Hellspawn
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
WillowSprings is HOT though!
Ain't that the truth

How does the ZR1 get away with it, intercoolers that don't block the radiator or something? Any C5 supercharger setups have that?
Old 10-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Steve@RSD
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I autoX my C5 with a Maggie. They make me run in the X class (unlimited) with the race cars, but the last local event my car took 1st and second, (dual Driver). With sticky tires you can better control the power. My car is equiped with Pfadt Bushings, coilovers and Sways, and it is a blast. The instant torque of a PD blower was great to apply gentle throttle and even full throttle in second gear for short burst.
I know I used to think the blower was a detriment, but now I really enjoy having that much power under that pedal.
Sticky tires make the difference!
Steve
Old 10-14-2009, 07:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hellspawn
Ain't that the truth

How does the ZR1 get away with it, intercoolers that don't block the radiator or something? Any C5 supercharger setups have that?
IIRC the ZR1 had to go though 3 or 4 intercooler designs to keep the heat down. Each time the intercooler was larger and larger.

Still has heat soak issues. an Extractor hood would help.

Get notified of new replies

To quick question about forced induction and HPDE's/auto-x

Quick Reply: quick question about forced induction and HPDE's/auto-x