Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lessons for roadracing

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:46 PM
PepperEvans
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lessons for roadracing

Is there a school similar to the driving school in Montgomery County that offers roadracing classes?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:53 AM
sgsvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PepperEvans
Is there a school similar to the driving school in Montgomery County that offers roadracing classes?
If you want to learn in your own car you can do it with Hooked on Driving at several tracks in Florida or if you don't want to track your car you can go to the Sports Car Driving Experience, an all Corvette school also in Florida.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:37 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you actully mean Road Racing as in Wheel to Wheel racing or High Performance Drivers Education, HPDE?

Henry's post above are two excellent links and schools.

If you help us to where you live, and if you want to use your own car, or a schools car, we can help you to find these schools and locations.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:37 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

NASA HPDE program
Old 10-26-2009, 01:08 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

If you are serious about wheel-to-wheel racing, in other words looking forward to getting your SCCA competition license, there is no better school in the nation than Bertil Roos Racing School in Blakesley, PA near Pocono International Raceway.

You will receive top notch instruction from professional instructors in their dedicated race cars.

Details at 1-800-racenow or www.racenow.com.

Tell them Frank Gonzalez sent you.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-26-2009, 01:56 PM
sgsvette
Pro

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
If you are serious about wheel-to-wheel racing, in other words looking forward to getting your SCCA competition license, there is no better school in the nation than Bertil Roos .
You will receive top notch instruction from professional instructors in their dedicated race cars.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with you when it comes to saying "there is no better school in the nation". Unless you have been to other schools then you don't know, and I know you haven't been to our school (Sports Car Driving Experience). BR might be a good school, but they don't have the quality instructors that we have, nor do they have Corvette's. Remember that this is The Corvette Forum and not many Corvette owners would want to go learn in a single seater open wheel car. There is no substitute for instant feedback and unless you have a coach sitting next to you every single lap you turn, you are just driving around.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:01 PM
igo380
Racer

This thread could get to be humorous...
Old 10-26-2009, 05:12 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just something to keep in mind... If you plan to actually race after, you might as well make good use of your time and attend a school that will let you leave with a license.

http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=39
Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sgsvette
You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with you when it comes to saying "there is no better school in the nation". Unless you have been to other schools then you don't know, and I know you haven't been to our school (Sports Car Driving Experience). BR might be a good school, but they don't have the quality instructors that we have, nor do they have Corvette's. Remember that this is The Corvette Forum and not many Corvette owners would want to go learn in a single seater open wheel car. There is no substitute for instant feedback and unless you have a coach sitting next to you every single lap you turn, you are just driving around.
So, tell me, how many national champions have been trained at your school?

B-R has more than a couple of dozen, including some Vette hotshoes like Andrew Aquilante.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-27-2009, 07:52 PM
sgsvette
Pro

Just like igo380 said: This thread could get to be humorous...
so I'll keep it short.

So Frank, you must be quite the hotshoe...funny I've never heard of you and I've been in racing for 30 years.

Tell me where you can find a more talented bunch of instructors at the same place?

Most of our students go directly to Grand-Am and other pro series, not necessarily SCCA although we are accredited with SCCA and the best part is most of them race Corvette's.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:02 PM
shifter77
Drifting

Frank , do you get a kickback from that school you mentioned.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:13 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
If you help us to where you live, and if you want to use your own car, or a schools car, we can help you to find these schools and locations.
Like Tom said.
If you are near Summit Point, WV, there is an SCCA PDX this Saturday/Sunday.
This link can get you close. http://www.wdcr-scca.org/
Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR
Just something to keep in mind... If you plan to actually race after, you might as well make good use of your time and attend a school that will let you leave with a license.

http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=39

exactly...............that's why you'll find Henrys (SGSVETTE) driving school accredited there!

BTW, I have just completed one of his courses, (last week) and I have found that it was professional, forward thinking, and definitely "hands on". His instructors went out of the way to instill and impart their knowledge to each driver.

Henry is a no nonsense, "hands on" school owner who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. He does it all............definately NOT the sit back and watch others do it, type of guy............

Palm Beach International Raceway was an excellent course to drive on and I look forward to the Advanced course he offers at Sebring Racway this November 6th..............I'll be there also!

Craig
USMC
Viet Nam 68-69
Old 10-28-2009, 06:14 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by shifter77
Frank , do you get a kickback from that school you mentioned.
SGSVETTE seems to own the school he speaks of. I don't own Bertil Roos.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-28-2009, 06:20 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sgsvette
Just like igo380 said: This thread could get to be humorous...
so I'll keep it short.

So Frank, you must be quite the hotshoe...funny I've never heard of you and I've been in racing for 30 years.

Tell me where you can find a more talented bunch of instructors at the same place?

Most of our students go directly to Grand-Am and other pro series, not necessarily SCCA although we are accredited with SCCA and the best part is most of them race Corvette's.
You must be a politican because you, like them, answered the wrong question.

The question is: How many National Champions have been trained in your school? It is a simple question...

This is intended to show that the quality of your instruction is good enough to produce national champion-caliber drivers.

Anyone can "go directly into" whatever racing series they want. All that takes in money. Winning a national title requires ability AND proper training.

We are talking here about driving school performance, which is the topic of this post. What do my personal qualifications have to do with this discussion?

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-28-2009, 06:47 PM
sgsvette
Pro

Old 10-28-2009, 08:03 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

OT but I think this thread is a sham to click on that site

Get notified of new replies

To Lessons for roadracing

Old 10-30-2009, 09:55 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Please don't take this preface as too trite, but, it really depends upon your personal experience. Although the established schools for racing have excellent credentials as some have mentioned here, a novice would be overwhelmed to the point of not realizing the full benefit from the several thousand dollars invested for a few days instruction. I would recommend a complete newbie might (make that probably) benefit better from HPDE's for a couple of years and then take some experience to the schools while trying to learn the advanced techniques. As for schools, I found Bondurant very enjoyable and beneficial. I haven't been to others but there are more than just a couple of current nascar sprint cup drivers that go back to Bondurant every year for polishing up their roadcourse skills before those two nascar track events.

In other words, great instruction requires time to assimilate in one's mind and without ANY experience, it takes a lot of time to aquire the skills, which equals a lot of money at the schools.......

HPDE's rock....
Old 10-31-2009, 08:24 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

To beat my own dead horse, I can't imagine going onto big tracks for an HPDE in our cars without having some basic car control skills learned on an autox course. It's a lot easier to learn how to catch a spin at 25mph than at 85mph. And a lot less painful (physically and financially) when you don't catch it.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:06 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
To beat my own dead horse, I can't imagine going onto big tracks for an HPDE in our cars without having some basic car control skills learned on an autox course. It's a lot easier to learn how to catch a spin at 25mph than at 85mph. And a lot less painful (physically and financially) when you don't catch it.
Good point, Jason!

Quick Reply: Lessons for roadracing