Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hand Positioning while cornering?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:32 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hand Positioning while cornering?

So I've been driving HPDE solo for a couple of years now, but I still like to get an instructor in the car from time to time to give me some pointers and spot bad habits I might not be catching myself.

Recently I got some coaching from an experienced instructor and he had lot's of positive reinforcement, but he did catch one bad habit I've developed that I'd be interested in hearing from you all on.

He didn't like my hand position on the wheel and that I was leaning into the turn and moving my left hand to the right side of the wheel in right turns for example. I could definitely see his point, and much of that bad habit was developed before I installed race seats and harnesses. But as I started trying to work to keep proper hand position I noticed three big barriers to keeping my hands at 10&2: The center console, the driver's door armrest and the driver's substantial mid-section.

So I've tried the "chicken wing" which works OK for the right arm and involves incrementally raising my right elbow toward the roof as I turn right. And I've tried "walking the wheel". My last two events I've tried to be aware of my hands, but I've not really found an approach I'm comfortable with yet.

Someone suggested removing the center console but that's not really an option just yet. Also currently working to remove or reduce the third barrier.

Just curious from the breadth of experience what are the different techniques you use? I notice I don't have this problem in cars where my seating postion allows me to go much further toward lock without hitting anything with my arms but I'm a big guy and the Z is a tight fit.

Thoughts and ideas?
Old 10-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I have not raced a C5 (I have a C4) but have driven them on the street. I try to drive at 10 and 2 and as long as I keep my elbows tucked in Im ok. How tall are you? I have to sit pretty far back, so my elbows are not bent much, which could make it a little easier for me.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:03 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good or bad here is what I do with my right hand

Randy
Old 10-30-2009, 12:12 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 & 2 for me and I've got the slightly bigger '05 steering wheel. No shuffling, chicken elbow, or anything of that sort as far as I can tell. The one corner that can be particularly hard though is T2 at Laguna Seca.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
10 & 2 for me and I've got the slightly bigger '05 steering wheel. No shuffling, chicken elbow, or anything of that sort as far as I can tell. The one corner that can be particularly hard though is T2 at Laguna Seca.
10 & 2 was taught many years ago before we had airbags. On the street this is now dangerous because you can end up punching yourself out in a collision if the bag goes off. On track you can smash your hands into your helmet and if you don't keep the visor down, can strike your eyes, etc...

10 & 2 also doesn't allow a full 180 degree turn of the wheel without shuffling or regripping the wheel.

This is why 9 & 3 is recommended at driving schools as it allows the largest range of motion without letting go of the steering wheel. Hand-over-hand or shuffling is needed at times but in general.....steering corrections need to take place instantly and although there are many who have their own style, the safest way is to always be ready to make an adjustment by keeping your hands on the wheel as often as possible.

Mike
Old 10-30-2009, 01:48 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

9 and 3 for me.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:56 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I usually hook one hand over the steering wheel spokes, and play with myself with the other hand. Hey, works for me.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:59 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

My first school was 9 & 3, and don't let go unless you are shifting, then right back to the wheel. The next school three years latter they realized that hand over hand or shuffling around the wheel was sometimes necessary. They said the important thing is to now where the center or dead straight is.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:12 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

He didn't like my hand position on the wheel and that I was leaning into the turn and moving my left hand to the right side of the wheel in right turns for example.
9-3 for the most part

When you steer, you pull DOWN with hand in the direction you are going, not push over the top.

ie right hand turn, Pull down with the right arm, not push down with the left arm over the top of the right side of wheel.

Your arms are much stronger pulling down, vs pushing over the top. Your arms will not get as fatigued this way

By having or keeping your hands at 9-3 you can be ready for any thing. If both your hands are on the right side of the wheel, 4 & 2 how could your turn left in an emergency ?

Part of this challenge may come from sitting too far back from the steering wheel.

Ideally, if you put your wrists over the top of the steering wheel at 11-1, there should be a 90* bend at your elbows. Then move your hands to 9-3. Your all set.

Challenge is for most corvettes, then their knees hit the bottom of the dash, or the bottom of the steering wheel when the shift, brake and deffintly when left foot braking.

I took the piece of plastic off from under the dash.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:35 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

you guys worry about the strangest things.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:03 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
10 & 2 was taught many years ago before we had airbags. On the street this is now dangerous because you can end up punching yourself out in a collision if the bag goes off. On track you can smash your hands into your helmet and if you don't keep the visor down, can strike your eyes, etc...

10 & 2 also doesn't allow a full 180 degree turn of the wheel without shuffling or regripping the wheel.

This is why 9 & 3 is recommended at driving schools as it allows the largest range of motion without letting go of the steering wheel. Hand-over-hand or shuffling is needed at times but in general.....steering corrections need to take place instantly and although there are many who have their own style, the safest way is to always be ready to make an adjustment by keeping your hands on the wheel as often as possible.

Mike
Ok I'm more at 9.5 and 2.5 now that I think about it . Slightly better.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:37 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for pulling down and not up pushing. I find that I use the tips of my fingers a lot when turning, because of the feel. I still hold the wheel securely, 9 and 3, but I make sure the tips of my fingers are in contact with it so that I can get the maximum feedback. I used to be paranoid about keeping my thumbs inside the wheel, in case of a bad impact, but am less so now.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

9 & 3 and I only release to shift. My seat is pretty far forward and the back almost totally verticle.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:29 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
9-3 for the most part

When you steer, you pull DOWN with hand in the direction you are going, not push over the top.

ie right hand turn, Pull down with the right arm, not push down with the left arm over the top of the right side of wheel.

Your arms are much stronger pulling down, vs pushing over the top. Your arms will not get as fatigued this way

By having or keeping your hands at 9-3 you can be ready for any thing. If both your hands are on the right side of the wheel, 4 & 2 how could your turn left in an emergency ?

Part of this challenge may come from sitting too far back from the steering wheel.

Ideally, if you put your wrists over the top of the steering wheel at 11-1, there should be a 90* bend at your elbows. Then move your hands to 9-3. Your all set.

Challenge is for most corvettes, then their knees hit the bottom of the dash, or the bottom of the steering wheel when the shift, brake and deffintly when left foot braking.

I took the piece of plastic off from under the dash.

This is the method I use. That way, my hands are always in an optimal location in order to react to an emergency.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:56 PM
GlenRoseFireFighter
Racer

Originally Posted by Short-Throw

Mike
I agree!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:58 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I'm a 4&8er. Less fatiguing for me, and since I often drive cars with stock seats, it allows me to brace myself better (I drive one-handed in the corners)
Old 10-31-2009, 07:31 AM
worldsaway
Racer

I recently bought a Race-Keeper data acq/video system, and just last weekend used it for the first time with a second wide-angle lens mounted on the pas. side pointed out the drivers door. It was nice to check my hand work. When I was learning I had the most problems learning to keep my hands on the wheel, I kept wanting to release the right early so I was on the shifter. I really had to be deliberate about it until it became habit. Ed

Get notified of new replies

To Hand Positioning while cornering?

Old 10-31-2009, 08:09 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I'm a 4&8er. Less fatiguing for me, and since I often drive cars with stock seats, it allows me to brace myself better (I drive one-handed in the corners)
While knitting?
Old 10-31-2009, 11:47 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Good feedbback and the pulling versus pushing makes sense. Randy's video makes me feel a little better about what I've been trying recently. My seat position is good as far as distance from the wheel. I think just being more aware of my hands will help fix.

Thanks for your comments & suggestions!
Old 10-31-2009, 01:28 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I get as close to 9 and 3 as my steering spokes let me. I put them at 9 and 3 and slide them up a bit until they are comfortable and I have a good grip, then they dont move at all unless I'm shifting.... cant wait to get a better steering wheel though. Although I do understand the difference a race seat and harness makes... when Im strapped in tight with the harness, its SOOOO much easier to have your arms/hands where you want them vs stock seats and belts where you are kinda using your steering wheel to hang on in some high G turns

Quick Reply: Hand Positioning while cornering?