Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another brake thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:55 AM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Another brake thread...

I've spent the last few weeks searching (here and the Internet in general) and reading everything I could, yet I still have questions that I am hoping you can answer.

Many say the stock C5 brake system is more than adequete for HPDE with a few minor upgrades - like SS lines and fluids.

I've done both of those, and I have two sets of racing pads (though I have not used them yet), however, at 535 RWHP I feel an upgrade to better calipers might be appropriate, especially now that I just made the jump from street tires to R888's.

I don't do a ton of events each year and I am no race king, but I certainly want to have confidence in my braking after 15 minutes on the track. I live in California and temps at Thunderhill can be very hot which I'm sure doesn't help.

I am willing to go 14" brakes since I intend to run 18's up front anyhow, but given my primary use is street rather than track I am wondering if I might be better off going with the LG G-stop kit which will allow me to run the stock 17" Z06 wheels on the street. Clearing 17" wheels is not a deal breaker, but it's a nice bennie. I'm guessing the G-Stop will also likely save a ton of money in pads and rotor expense since this setup can run stock pieces on the street.

How much performace upgrade is the G-Stop over stock Z06 brakes? I realize a good Stoptech setup will perform even better but given my needs, and intended use, would the G-Stop be more than adequete? Heck, for that matter, would simply upgrading to a better rotor and pad be sufficient?

I can pick up the G-Stop kit from LG brand new for $1175 (without SS lines and pads since I already have those) so the investment is relatively small. Is it worth it?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

BBKs mainly deped on the wheel OFFSET as well as the diameter.

The rims offset will determine if the BBK Caliper can fit under neath.

Now Wilwod has a 6pot that will fit under the stock wheel with a small spacer. LG sells these.

Brake pads sizes very by caliper. Pads that fit the stock corvette caliper are a different size then fitting the Wilwood caliper.

To go to a full BBK you will also need new rims. So $10 Large plus BBK calipers plus rims.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was ready to go the same route at the beginning of this year as my calipers were in need of rebuilding. The race shop I use for work I can't do myself actually talked me out of going to a G-Stop or Stop Tech setup. We upgraded to the C6 calipers which are more robust than the C5 calipers, went to DTC 70 pads, stayed with cheap disposable rotors and I've been very pleased with the performance even during longer sessions at some pretty fast tracks this year.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

C6 calipers which are more robust than the C5 calipers, went to DTC 70 pads, stayed with cheap disposable rotors
That's what I'd do, if I was doin'.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I went with the LG G stop kit and am very happy with it. I run the Brembo rotors rather than the made in China Junk, ATE super blue, cooling and SS lines. The braking is consistent and you don't end up with a soft pedal at the end of a session. Race pads for the Wilwood calipers in the G Stop kit are substantially cheaper than Carboteks, Hawks or others for the stock C5 calipers and last much longer due to the thickness.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:50 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Brake upgrade choices are dependent on your skill level and your budget. The reason many people say the stock brakes are good enough is because they are, for newer drivers. Tires are also a consideration. Grippy rubber means more heat in the brakes because the tires will allow higher torque (braking) loads. Higher hp is not nearly as important when determining brake requirements. There are plenty of new drivers with high hp cars in the beginner groups.

Newer drivers can probably get by with stock upgraded brakes; pads, ss lines, cooling ducts. This will work for most people - beginner, intermediate, and some advanced group drivers.

The faster you go, the more brake capability you need. This is the reason you get so many opinions on brakes. Everyone is at a different level, also people use their brakes differently, some more, some less.

Occasional trackday drivers should go with the minimum upgrades that provide fairly reliable braking at the track. The easiest way to go is usually cooling ducts, ss lines, and a set of race pads for the track. There is no free lunch. If you want good brakes at the track you will have to have 2 sets of pads, a street set and a track set.

Figure out where you are skill wise, and where you realistically expect to be, then purchase accordingly.

Dog
Old 12-03-2009, 11:31 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom have you actually had caliper spread / pad taper yet? I'd wait until you actually run into the limits of the system first and just go with the Stoptechs. You've got C5Z 18x10.5's on all 4 corners right? Those wheels should clear most BBKs.

I thought the GStop was a Wilwood 6-piston caliper. You say you have race pads, but you'll have to get pads that fit the SL6 caliper. Do you have spindle ducts up front yet?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:33 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I aggree with meldog. There is no correct/wrong answer here, only opinions based on your level, and that level is all over the map. Nobody should be out there exceeding there own comfort level, wherever that is. Best advice is to get good track pads (I recomend Cobalt Friction), SS lines, high temp brake fluid, and high pressure cooling to your brakes. Once you do all of this, the stock calipers will be fine for the majority of the people out there. If/when you get to the point that this setup no longer works for you, then go to a BBK kit like AP Racing, Brembo, or Stoptech. Once you have gotten to that point, I don't believe the Wilwood setup is much of an upgrade, although the pads are cheaper then stock ones. Good luck out there. If you have any questions, give me a call.
Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
815-254-2631
Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Mel, Great advice. The main thing I don't have at this point is cooling ducts since I've heard from several sources that their a pain in the @ss and the rattle around alot. Rick recommended against them.

By the way, when are we hitting the go kart track? Saw your post on the other forum and responded.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
Tom have you actually had caliper spread / pad taper yet? I'd wait until you actually run into the limits of the system first and just go with the Stoptechs. You've got C5Z 18x10.5's on all 4 corners right? Those wheels should clear most BBKs.

I thought the GStop was a Wilwood 6-piston caliper. You say you have race pads, but you'll have to get pads that fit the SL6 caliper. Do you have spindle ducts up front yet?
Zhebo, I'm looking ahead more than behind. The only thing I've experienced so far is brake fade towards the end of a session at Thunderhill in turns 1 and 14, but I believe in being ahead of the curve (no pun intended) for both safety and capability reasons, rather than wait until I have a problem.

The G-Stop is a Wilwood 6piston caliper and is the only one that will still fit 17" Z06 (or Grandsport) wheels. They also fit stock C5 pads. I don 't have spindle ducts yet for reasons mentioned in my responde to Mel above.

I do have 4 18" C5Z wheels however they are from two full sets that I own (17/18) so if I set them up with my R888's then it will render both my 17" wheels useless. I would like to get another pair or set of 4 18" Speedlines, but they've been tough to find (I've created several WTB threads and been looking nearly everyday in the F/S section).
Old 12-03-2009, 12:05 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Like Robert says, if you max out the cooling etc, AND limit your sessions to 20-30 hot minutes (most 30 minute DE sessions really are only about 20minutes once you warm up/cool down), you will likely be fine. Even if you have to replace the calipers every season (due to deformation or seal/piston damage), you'll still come out ahead for many many years.

I personally agree that the Wilwood setup isn't much of an upgrade. You need a serious increase in rotor size to absorb/dissipate the heat, not just a bigger "clamp".
Old 12-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
I was ready to go the same route at the beginning of this year as my calipers were in need of rebuilding. The race shop I use for work I can't do myself actually talked me out of going to a G-Stop or Stop Tech setup. We upgraded to the C6 calipers which are more robust than the C5 calipers, went to DTC 70 pads, stayed with cheap disposable rotors and I've been very pleased with the performance even during longer sessions at some pretty fast tracks this year.
You are the third person to make this recommendation and previously I just dismissed the advice, but the more I hear it the more I seem to consider it.

Can anybody else chime in on the idea of upgrading to C6 calipers instead?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:10 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Exotica
Zhebo, I'm looking ahead more than behind. The only thing I've experienced so far is brake fade towards the end of a session at Thunderhill in turns 1 and 14, but I believe in being ahead of the curve (no pun intended) for both safety and capability reasons, rather than wait until I have a problem.

The G-Stop is a Wilwood 6piston caliper and is the only one that will still fit 17" Z06 (or Grandsport) wheels. They also fit stock C5 pads. I don 't have spindle ducts yet for reasons mentioned in my responde to Mel above.

I do have 4 18" C5Z wheels however they are from two full sets that I own (17/18) so if I set them up with my R888's then it will render both my 17" wheels useless. I would like to get another pair or set of 4 18" Speedlines, but they've been tough to find (I've created several WTB threads and been looking nearly everyday in the F/S section).
My Quantum ducts work great. No noise and pretty easy to install. I keep forgetting that I even have them.

You should just run 17" on all 4 corners then... and give me the 18's
Old 12-03-2009, 12:11 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You've got C5Z 18x10.5's on all 4 corners right? Those wheels should clear most BBKs.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Like Robert says, if you max out the cooling etc, AND limit your sessions to 20-30 hot minutes (most 30 minute DE sessions really are only about 20minutes once you warm up/cool down), you will likely be fine. Even if you have to replace the calipers every season (due to deformation or seal/piston damage), you'll still come out ahead for many many years.

I personally agree that the Wilwood setup isn't much of an upgrade. You need a serious increase in rotor size to absorb/dissipate the heat, not just a bigger "clamp".
Ahh, now we're getting into specific facts and this is where I am hoping this thread will go. I have certainly read that before, but after reading probably 30 threads - or more - some of the information gets muddled.

I've also been looking for a good used 14" Stoptech setup but they are few and far between. Can't quite afford a new set since I am replacing my tranny with a Level V this month as well. Money is the limiting factor.

There's always the thought of waiting until spring to upgrade the brakes when I will likely have a little more budget for it, rather than now when I'm doing the trans. However, the other consideration factor is the increased cost of disposables (pads, rotors, hats, etc) when I go to a full BBK kit and the loss of use of my 17" wheels. So there are many factors at play that I am trying to sift through in making my decision.

Someone on here is selling what I think is a 15" Stoptech setup (380mm I believe), but that is overkill for my needs and I don't want the drilled rotors anyway so that is unlikely.

Would that set require something larger than 18" Speedlines or will a 380mm rotor fit under those as well?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:26 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I went with the LG G stop kit and am very happy with it. I run the Brembo rotors rather than the made in China Junk, ATE super blue, cooling and SS lines. The braking is consistent and you don't end up with a soft pedal at the end of a session. Race pads for the Wilwood calipers in the G Stop kit are substantially cheaper than Carboteks, Hawks or others for the stock C5 calipers and last much longer due to the thickness.
Did you have to get bigger rims that the stock 17"? Are the Brembo rotors the same size as C5--would like alternatives to China (right now I stick to OEM made in Brazil)?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Did you have to get bigger rims that the stock 17"? Are the Brembo rotors the same size as C5--would like alternatives to China (right now I stick to OEM made in Brazil)?
The G-Stop kit will fit under 17" Z06 or Grandsport wheels. You will need a small spacer to fit under thinspokes.

This kit uses stock size rotors and pads.

Get notified of new replies

To Another brake thread...

Old 12-03-2009, 12:38 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

You need a serious increase in rotor size to absorb/dissipate the heat, not just a bigger "clamp".
Yes a bigger rotor will dissipate more heat but I seriously doubt that an HPDE or Sprint racer will get to a point that a 13" rotor (stock size) won't work! I'm not saying a NAPA rotor will survive, I'm thinking Coleman. If NASCAR can run a 13" rotor at Watkins Glen for 4 hours and survive I think a 13" will survive HPDE or a 1 hour sprint race. I understand they are running 35mm thick rotors and C5 is only 32mm but still not a huge difference!
GOOD and proper COOLING!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

My Quantum ducts work great. No noise and pretty easy to install. I keep forgetting that I even have them.

You should just run 17" on all 4 corners then... and give me the 18's
That's the exact spindle kit I was considering until Rick talked me out of it.

Should I write you a check to take my 18's when I finally lose my mind enough to decide to run the 17's instead?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by geerookie
Yes a bigger rotor will dissipate more heat but I seriously doubt that an HPDE or Sprint racer will get to a point that a 13" rotor (stock size) won't work! I'm not saying a NAPA rotor will survive, I'm thinking Coleman. If NASCAR can run a 13" rotor at Watkins Glen for 4 hours and survive I think a 13" will survive HPDE or a 1 hour sprint race. I understand they are running 35mm thick rotors and C5 is only 32mm but still not a huge difference!
GOOD and proper COOLING!

Just my 2 cents.
But wouldn't weight of the car make a difference as well? At 3500 lbs (including driver and all my other accessories in/on the car) I'm not sure how that compares to NASCAR. Aren't those cars much lighter?

Quick Reply: Another brake thread...