Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using a Kirkey racing seat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Anyone using a Kirkey racing seat?

Was wondering if anyone is using a Kirkey seat for track use. If I go this route I intend to keep my stock seats for most days and just swap them out for one of the seats shown below for HPDE's. This is for a C3 so my choices are very limited due to a couple of reasons:

1 - If I went with a seat that I don't swap out, I want it to fit the car's styling which throws out most of the seats on the market. Plus they would have to be reclining to access the little storage I have available with the flat rear window. So far most of the seats that fit these requirements don't have a hole in the seat for an anit-sub belt.

2 - I'm a big guy (6'3" tall and 275lbs, trying to get to 250 before spring) and C3's have very small interiors.

I would like to use the road race version, but the shoulder supports appear to interfer with the interior (still working on that one) OR I might go with their ProStreet version instead. I know the ProStreet version isn't as good, but it might be all I can fit in the car. Still measuring and trying to figure out how to make something work.
or

This is my production seat for reference. Not much support here .
Old 02-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use an Ultra shield road racing seat and it fits me quite well. I am 6' 2" but only 220. You can bend the ears on the seats inward to make them fit but make sure you have enough room for you also. I t will be a great improvement
Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I am 6-2 200 lbs.
and yes I have pounded my shoulder wings in slightly to fit my body better

Old 02-08-2010, 07:37 AM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Location: Formerly from the Great White North but now residing in the Desert Southwest NM (The Land of Dis-Enchantment?)
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jason
I fought the seat battle with my '73, too. As RR seats go, the one I found that fit the best was an UltraShield "Spec Miata" seat.
Corbeaus sat up too high. I finally bought some late C-3 seats('79 and up), had some cloth covered cushions made with harness slots and cut slots in the seat back shell. Gave decent support and good seating position.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedwayWhiteZ06 (07-14-2020)
Old 02-08-2010, 09:42 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I love my Kirkey seat. They are super thin, so they sit much lower and tighter than composite seats. Obviously you need to measure your car carefully, but if anything will fit, aluminum will.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:48 AM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I love my Kirkey seat. They are super thin, so they sit much lower and tighter than composite seats. Obviously you need to measure your car carefully, but if anything will fit, aluminum will.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I have a Deluxe Kirkey roadrace in my C6 Jason, and your welcome to try it out if you see me before you make a purchase. I think I've seen you and your car over at Putnam for some of the 10/10ths events before.

The seats are really comfortable (for a race seat that is) IMHO.

Not cheap though.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:40 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a pair of Kirkey intermediate road race seats (17") in my C4. Had to bend in the outside wings about .5" to let them clear the doors. LOVE them.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:52 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

How you guys finding getting in/out of the car?

I want to get one, some of the models look great for supporting you, they also look like a royal PITA as far as getting in/out.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Joe_Knesek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
I have a Deluxe Kirkey roadrace in my C6 Jason, and your welcome to try it out if you see me before you make a purchase. I think I've seen you and your car over at Putnam for some of the 10/10ths events before.

The seats are really comfortable (for a race seat that is) IMHO.

Not cheap though.
According to Kirkey's web site, the 43 series Deluxe Roadrace has been replaced by the 45 series Road Race containment seat. It is 24" wide at the shoulders which is 1.5" wider than the Deluxe Roadrace seat.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:10 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Brian, they are real racing seats, and getting in and out is difficult. I personally would NEVER run them on street car, but I wouldn't run any racing seat on a car that I street drive.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Rob Willis

The seats are really comfortable (for a race seat that is) IMHO. Not cheap though.
Thanks Rob for the offer. If I don't have them purchased before I'm out at Putnam again I'll have to look you up.

Thanks guys for the comments. Since I can bend the shoulder wings in a bit, this might be the route I take. I really want to go with a seat I can use with a 5 point harness and some sort of neck protection.

Yeah I can't imagine running these all the time in a street car, but I can take my factory seats out in about 10 minutes so I just need to come up with a way to install these easy too. Figure if I can do both seats in <30 minutes for HPDE's this s a real option for me.

Last edited by Jason Staley; 02-09-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:25 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have one in my car which I occasionally drive on the street. It is a bit of a pain and for a daily driver I would not do it. However, at the same time I installed my seat I also installed a removable steering wheel. I would never have put the seat in without it. On the road race seat the rib supports are much less than a circle track seat so those aren't bad, but the supports that go up the sides of the legs are tall what make things tight to get in/out.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone using a Kirkey racing seat?

Quick Reply: Anyone using a Kirkey racing seat?