Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kumho 710's - driving to autocross

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:36 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Kumho 710's - driving to autocross

How far do some of you drive your 710's on the street? I just got a used set from a friend and won't have a chance to get a tire trailer or hitch for probably a couple of months at least. One track is about 15-20 miles most of it via interstate, but I can take backroads to keep the heat down and it'd only take about an extra 10 minutes (miles would be shorter as well, just tons of lights). The second track is an hour away and all interstate. Of course this is the track I'd really like to take them too, but seems way too far to not totally wear the tires out.

I may just run them this month at the close track and wait till next season (starts in sept) to get setup for hauling the R-compounds. I've got a great lead in my street tire class so I don't want to give that up yet either...
Old 03-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think a short drive on the street is going to make all that much difference but I wouldn't make a habit of doing it. In the past I've made a quick run to a gas station or a nearby hotel but I bought an auto-trailer early-on to haul my car to the track. Personally, I avoid driving on the street with track tires. I go-through quite-a-few sets of track tires each year and at about $1,400 a set I don't want to use them on the street. Have you thought about having someone else haul your track tires to the track until you get your trailer? I say do what you gotta do (and don't worry about it) but I'd try to get your trailer as soon as possible.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

They will be ok to drive on. They wont get too hot or wear too much, but the they are thinner in the treas area than a street tire and will be very easy to puncture. I dont drive with mine on the street just so I dont have to worry about picking something up.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:09 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I drive on my rear V710 & haul fronts on passenger seat. I also drive 90 to 200 miles to track time events.

I can't say if they really get heat cycled by driving on the highway.

Rain is the biggest issue. If it rains hard enough to provide any standing water on the road, then top speed is about 25 mph.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:32 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
I drive on my rear V710 & haul fronts on passenger seat. I also drive 90 to 200 miles to track time events.

I can't say if they really get heat cycled by driving on the highway.

Rain is the biggest issue. If it rains hard enough to provide any standing water on the road, then top speed is about 25 mph.
Thanks for the info. I only run once a month so I didn't think it'd be too bad. Luckily here in Florida it doesn't rain that often, but if there is a chance of rain, they'll probably stay at home. Especially for the brooksville event that's an hour away...if I don't find another way to get the track wheels there by the April event.

Originally Posted by Kubs
They wont get too hot or wear too much, but the they are thinner in the treas area than a street tire and will be very easy to puncture. I dont drive with mine on the street just so I dont have to worry about picking something up.
Thanks. Didn't even really think about puncturing the tire. Hmmm.

Last edited by shakedown067; 03-22-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:41 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I don't think I would drive slicks on the street at all. Even when cold, the compound is soft enough to pick up every rock, pebble, and piece of debris in their path. Once the tire is turning at even city street speeds, this junk will be tossed off onto the wheelwell and the painted panels on both sides of the wheelwell.

When I unload my car from the trailer parked on the street, just the 200 feet to my garage causes the tires to pick up handfulls of rocks and pebbles.

The overall thickness of the tire on the tread area is much thinner than a street tire so it will be easier to get a puncture. Also once the tires are just worn halfway down from use, they will not meet minimum tread depth requirements. A sharp-eyed LEO could see that and you could get pulled over an get a ticket.

Of course water on the road is a problem; even a big puddle can cause a lack of traction.

As suggested, try to find a friend with a pickup or even a sedan to haul your tires. Maybe offer him some rides or maybe even pay an entry fee so he can be a co-driver.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:13 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by shakedown067
How far do some of you drive your 710's on the street? I just got a used set from a friend and won't have a chance to get a tire trailer or hitch for probably a couple of months at least. One track is about 15-20 miles most of it via interstate, but I can take backroads to keep the heat down and it'd only take about an extra 10 minutes (miles would be shorter as well, just tons of lights). The second track is an hour away and all interstate. Of course this is the track I'd really like to take them too, but seems way too far to not totally wear the tires out.

I may just run them this month at the close track and wait till next season (starts in sept) to get setup for hauling the R-compounds. I've got a great lead in my street tire class so I don't want to give that up yet either...
I drive on 710s to any event within 100 miles or so each way unless there's a chance of rain. I've been doing this for three years and many others I know do the same on 710s and A6s. I probably drive to 20-30 events a year, both track and autox. I am not noticing any heat cycling as driving down the highway you aren't building any meaningful heat in the tires. Watch your toe settings and you shouldn't experience excessive wear.

Re: punctures -- I haven't had one but figure if I do I'll try to handle it as I would now that I no longer have run-flats -- I'll try to fix it with a plug kit and pump some air into it with my 12v compressor.

Otherwise, I built my own tire carrier to take them long distance or through rain.

--Dan
Old 03-22-2010, 03:27 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by dbratten
Otherwise, I built my own tire carrier to take them long distance or through rain.

--Dan
Man I like that. I'll have to talk to my welder to see what that'd cost me. It'd be cheaper than a trailer and driving slow with those little bitty tires.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:50 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dbratten
I drive on 710s to any event within 100 miles or so each way unless there's a chance of rain. I've been doing this for three years and many others I know do the same on 710s and A6s. I probably drive to 20-30 events a year, both track and autox. I am not noticing any heat cycling as driving down the highway you aren't building any meaningful heat in the tires. Watch your toe settings and you shouldn't experience excessive wear.

Re: punctures -- I haven't had one but figure if I do I'll try to handle it as I would now that I no longer have run-flats -- I'll try to fix it with a plug kit and pump some air into it with my 12v compressor.

--Dan
+1.
Probably 24 autocrosses a year. Never had a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Kumho 710's - driving to autocross

Quick Reply: Kumho 710's - driving to autocross