Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler draining/ capacity questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:40 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil cooler draining/ capacity questions.

Since I figure most of you guys are running an oil cooler I thought I would post this question in here.

FYI, my car is a C5 with a 347 and a high volume oil pump from MTI, and my oil cooler is a seperate unit, not one that is incorporated into the rad.

With the added oil cooler lines, etc. I've never been a 100% sure how much oil my car requires. Confirming the capacity of the oil cooler is a no brainer, but does anyone have a chart or something that shows the capacity of the lines that I added? Thoughts?

Next question, when doing an oil change I'm almost positive that I'm not going to be able to get all of the oil out of the lines and the cooler unless I disconnect one of the lines from the base of the cooler and let it drain from there. Is my thinking correct or does someone else have a different/ better method.

Last but not least, I've hear that for track days it's a good idea to add an extra .5 - 1 quart of oil, is this something that you guys think is a worthwhile practice?

Thanks Matt

Last edited by GOTHAM VETTE; 04-20-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:54 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

My oil pan, oil cooler, accu-sump and lines can hold 10 1/2qts. I am lucky to drain out 9 quarts. So that is what I drain out then replace with 9 quarts.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:02 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Too much effort to try to figure out line volumes, etc. Take your cars stock volume and add another quart or so for the cooler and start it up to fill cooler and lines. Check with dip stick and add additional to bring it up to proper level. My cooler is mounted higher than the line fill point on the adaptor connection so when the filter comes off most of the oil in the lines and cooler drain out. You will never get all the oil out of the car so don't worry about that. Definitely a good idea to add extra for track days, a lot of oil stays up in the engine at high RPM and could result in pump starvation on high G turns.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:06 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
My oil pan, oil cooler, accu-sump and lines can hold 10 1/2qts. I am lucky to drain out 9 quarts. So that is what I drain out then replace with 9 quarts.
Thats pretty much where I am as well.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:07 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

a large part of what an oil change does is replenishing the additives, not just getting rid of the old impurities. Having some old oil left is not a big deal compared to the good the new oil does. Get within a quart, and then top it off. It's not worth the effort.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:40 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't think my cooler (pfadt setup) drains very well - I put 7 qts when changing oil and that gets me almost to the top of the hash marks when warm.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil cooler draining/ capacity questions.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler draining/ capacity questions.