Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Han’s device with a factory 3-point seatbelt? Ok or not???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:41 AM
waterplay
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Han’s device with a factory 3-point seatbelt? Ok or not???

I have a daily drive car (not my Vette) that I used to run in an HPDE (1) and later (2) class. My instructor was using a Han’s device but I thought that I needed two shoulders straps (5/6pt harness) to use the device? My question is can I safely use a Han’s device in my DD with just the factory seat belts? When the Vette is done it will have a cage and 6 point harness. At that time I will also be using a Hans device. If it is safe for me to use it now in my DD while taking some HPDE’s I will pick one up now. My thought would be that it would add some protection but I have been wrong before! LOL
Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 AM
racerbob4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waterplay
I have a daily drive car (not my Vette) that I used to run in an HPDE (1) and later (2) class. My instructor was using a Han’s device but I thought that I needed two shoulders straps (5/6pt harness) to use the device? My question is can I safely use a Han’s device in my DD with just the factory seat belts? When the Vette is done it will have a cage and 6 point harness. At that time I will also be using a Hans device. If it is safe for me to use it now in my DD while taking some HPDE’s I will pick one up now. My thought would be that it would add some protection but I have been wrong before! LOL
No! The HANS only works when you have a seat belt coming from directly behind the drivers seat that comes over the two shoulder pads of the HANS. If you don't have that then don't wear it.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:53 AM
imp zog
Racer

I can't see it being very useful without very tight shoulder belts to secure it in place, with a stock 3-pt belt it's more bling than functional. When instructing in street cars I use a neck ring to support the helmet if you have a sudden impact (since the helmet adds a lot of weight to your head and hence neck), I only use the HANS with full belts.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:07 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

HAS only works with seats and harnesses installed correctly.

the R3 MAY work somewhat. but also not really advised with out a race seat and harnesses.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The 3 point belt system is designed to allow your body to pivot outward in a crash. As one person said this keeps the melons from smashing into each other. As a result of the additional body movement your neck doesn't see the same sharp force as would be caused by two shoulder belts which further restrict forward motion of the body.

Bill
Old 04-27-2010, 11:07 AM
waterplay
Pro

OK, thanks for the input. I will hold off till I get my track car done to use the Hans.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
0Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

PM Sent.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:39 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

as others have said, the HANS only functions with a correct harness.

but what you should also know is that the airbag (in conjunction with 3-point belts) fulfills the same function as a HANS.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:15 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
as others have said, the HANS only functions with a correct harness.

but what you should also know is that the airbag (in conjunction with 3-point belts) fulfills the same function as a HANS.
Airbags from a front to back perspective, but what about lateral movement from a side impact? and only then a HANS will work with tethers, correct?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:51 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GettReal
Airbags from a front to back perspective, but what about lateral movement from a side impact? and only then a HANS will work with tethers, correct?
HANS does not protect against side/lateral impacts.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:05 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only true protection from a side impact for the head is a seat with full wrap head restraints.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:21 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

The R3 is designed to be used with both a race harness and the stock factory 3 point system. And as an instructor I use it in both applications. JD
Old 04-30-2010, 07:52 PM
waterplay
Pro

Originally Posted by JDIllon
The R3 is designed to be used with both a race harness and the stock factory 3 point system. And as an instructor I use it in both applications. JD
Thank you that is good to know I will look into that one also.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:04 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Do you run with the seat pad? Is it comfortable and how does the pad stay in place when going from car to car?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:07 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Do you run with the seat pad? Is it comfortable and how does the pad stay in place when going from car to car?
It depends on the seat, I use the seat pad with my Caravaggio's. But in most cases, I don't use the pad in a students car unless it is uncomfortable. I've gotten so use to it that I don't use the pad much any more, plus I always worry about leaving it in a students car. If you do use the pad, you need to be sure that it is postioned properly. I love the R3 because I have some security in a 3 point harness. JD

Get notified of new replies

To Han’s device with a factory 3-point seatbelt? Ok or not???

Quick Reply: Han’s device with a factory 3-point seatbelt? Ok or not???