Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chatterbox Pro Intercom

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chatterbox Pro Intercom

Bought a Chatterbox with a full face headset.

Very disappointing product. No way this product would last a weekend. Mounting basically stinks. Headset and Mic will never stick to the helmet. Control box mount requires that you tear up you helmet liner to have any chance of the mount working even then it is very fragile.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Had the same experience so I went with the Student Racing headset.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Tourmgr1
Burning Brakes

It looks good on paper but not an ideal set up ....go with the student headset. My cars so loud I can't hear them anyway.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:12 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Mine works great! No problems at all and the mike sticks just fine and control box fit my helmet, No Problem. I have been using the setup for three years. I had a control box and one of the student mikes go bad and they replace all at no charge after 3 yrs. Great company. I can take pictures of the setup if that would help. JD
Old 06-13-2010, 12:33 AM
LS3x416
Advanced

I bought a set last year at WGI and they worked/work fine.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:43 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Mine works great! No problems at all and the mike sticks just fine and control box fit my helmet, No Problem. I have been using the setup for three years. I had a control box and one of the student mikes go bad and they replace all at no charge after 3 yrs. Great company. I can take pictures of the setup if that would help. JD
That would be great.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:06 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

just got my used setup from ebay today if you could post a pic jd that would be great.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Student set for OPEN face helmet.

Slide the ear piece up in the helmet and mic boom infront of your mouth.
Works great.

Just get the boom mic with ear piece and plug that in
Old 06-13-2010, 08:42 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Wendling

Very disappointing product. No way this product would last a weekend. Mounting basically stinks. Headset and Mic will never stick to the helmet. Control box mount requires that you tear up you helmet liner to have any chance of the mount working even then it is very fragile.
I have had mine four years now it's held up fine!
as for the earpieces I glued the velcro in and put the wires under the lineing also you can just clip the amp to your harnness
Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 AM
MRIENG
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Student set for OPEN face helmet.

Slide the ear piece up in the helmet and mic boom infront of your mouth.
Works great.

Just get the boom mic with ear piece and plug that in
Been using this setup for a couple of years now with my students. I've even had students with American Iron cars ask to turn down the volume, so I know they can here me just fine over the cars. Great unit of you take the time to set it up properly.

Cheers
Old 06-13-2010, 10:32 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

After breaking the cheap plastic clamping piece, I simply drilled two small holes in the helmet and screwed the plate to the helmet. Much more stable and secure. Just don't use too long of a screw..
Old 06-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Wendling

Not sure what make helmet you have but my Chatterbox fit inside my Simpson helmet just fine. The control box mount clipped right onto the helmet without tearing up the lining, I installed the ear pieces by pulling the cheek pads (removable cheek pads) and attaching the velcro directly to the inner shell of the helmet so the speakers are right where the small holes are located between the cheek pads and the main helmet padding, the microphone just velcros onto the inside of the helmet in front of your mouth if you have a full face helmet. I mounted my control unit on the left side of the helmet near the helmet hanging ring and I used the popscicle stick to push the wire for the right side speaker behind helmet liner.

None of these things damaged the helmet and everything has been in place for 3 years.

The student headset has a weak point where the wires go into the speaker so make sure you take some tie wrap or tape and bend the wire around so it is fastened to the mic boom. That way the student will pull on the boom and not the wires.

Bill
Old 06-13-2010, 05:14 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Here are the pictures of the install on a Impact full face. I mounted the ear pieces up behind the foam right where my ear is located inside the helmet.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-13-2010, 06:35 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Used my setup for several years now. No Problems. The control box don't have to be attached to the helmet. Student can hold it or just put it in console in the middle. It don't bang around enough to hurt it.

Get notified of new replies

To Chatterbox Pro Intercom

Quick Reply: Chatterbox Pro Intercom