Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temps at Road America

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:16 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil temps at Road America

I ran with GT Track Days at Road America early this week (highly recommend running with them) and was seeing 270* + oil temps. I could easily keep it around 250* by short shifting, but when I started pushing the car it would start climbing.
The car is a C6Z, 468 C.I. LS7 running 50 weight oil and the stock oil cooler. I have a DeWitts radiator without the oil cooler combo, and water temps were fine.
Is the stock cooler insufficient, and would I see a big difference if I switched to the combo DeWitts? Should I consider changing or adding another cooler?
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:00 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I've seen oil temps over 300 degrees at RA without short shifting. I've heard of T1 guys that were over 330
Personally if you are concerned about oil temps (and with a 468ci LS7 you should) I would install a stand alone oil cooler. Keeping the oil and coolant seperate is better IMO. That way you don't have the oil heating up the coolant. The problem is finding a good place to mount it where you can get air to it.
Joel
Old 07-02-2010, 06:46 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by dfinke23
I ran with GT Track Days at Road America early this week (highly recommend running with them) and was seeing 270* + oil temps. I could easily keep it around 250* by short shifting, but when I started pushing the car it would start climbing.
The car is a C6Z, 468 C.I. LS7 running 50 weight oil and the stock oil cooler. I have a DeWitts radiator without the oil cooler combo, and water temps were fine.
Is the stock cooler insufficient, and would I see a big difference if I switched to the combo DeWitts? Should I consider changing or adding another cooler?
Thanks in advance.
Most are fine when going to a larger radiator to bring the heat out of the water and the entire engine cools.

Being that you have a larger and modified engine making more HP both water and oil are going to be increasing rapidly.

Typically what I have done on our modified track cars is use our in-radiator engine oil cooler along with the stock OEM unit. The fluid to fluid cooler will take the big temp hit, and the factory cooler can take care of the rest of it.

For those with really big engines, 480+ cu, we have used a larger oil cooler as well.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw 305 oil temp and 252 water temp at VIR over the weekend.. Proceded to cool it off. It was 103 though. Thats with a tune and a Ron Davis radiatior/cooler setup
Old 07-05-2010, 11:42 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vented hood helps.

I saw temps up to 292 before but not since adding the hood.

Dean

Get notified of new replies

To Oil temps at Road America

Quick Reply: Oil temps at Road America